Dan Air Vickers Viscounts (type 700 version)

Can anyone help with some information on 'early' type Vickers Viscounts used by Dan-Air

I am wanting to use the Glencoe 1/96 kit as a basis to build a Dan-Air operated airlner and as it is a type 700 I want to finish it as an early version (bulged cockpit and shorter fuselage)

I have called up a load of photos on airliners.net and they show a small number of '700' types but do state various model numbers '70'8 '724'

what are the differences between these versions?

hope someone can help.

thanks

Can anyone help with some information on 'early' type Vickers Viscounts used by Dan-Air

I am wanting to use the Glencoe 1/96 kit as a basis to build a Dan-Air operated airlner and as it is a type 700 I want to finish it as an early version (bulged cockpit and shorter fuselage)

I have called up a load of photos on airliners.net and they show a small number of '700' types but do state various model numbers '70'8 '724'

what are the differences between these versions?

hope someone can help.

thanks

I have just noticed this post, hence the very late reply! Vickers allocated a type number to every new customer for their airraft. The 708s were bought by Air France, who passed them in turn to Air Inter, and some were bought by Alidair of East Midlands Airport in the 1970s. Similarly the 724 were bought vy Trans Canada Airlines and then one (G-ARIR) was in turn bought by Alidair.

Recognition features were the cockpit windows - 708 had two horizontal bars giving three horizontal panes as the side window, with the centre pane opening. The 724 had the same shape of windows as the series 800 with two side window panes on each side, with the forward pane opening.

Dan Air leased G-ARIRr in 1978 and I was involved in painting it when I worked for Alidair.

Hope this helps.

Neil

I have just noticed this post, hence the very late reply! Vickers allocated a type number to every new customer for their airraft. The 708s were bought by Air France, who passed them in turn to Air Inter, and some were bought by Alidair of East Midlands Airport in the 1970s. Similarly the 724 were bought vy Trans Canada Airlines and then one (G-ARIR) was in turn bought by Alidair.

Recognition features were the cockpit windows - 708 had two horizontal bars giving three horizontal panes as the side window, with the centre pane opening. The 724 had the same shape of windows as the series 800 with two side window panes on each side, with the forward pane opening.

Dan Air leased G-ARIRr in 1978 and I was involved in painting it when I worked for Alidair.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Thanks Neil, a helpful insight.

would I be right in saying that then Dan-Air had a number of 708's (like the one you were involved in) and 708's depending on where they purchased or leased the airframe from.

I have been shown the website http://www.vickersviscount.net which has a listing of users and types so i hope to find one to make.

thanks.