CD48040: 1/48 USN S2F-1 Tracker

Now that the short S-2 Tracker kit is here, I will be releasing the US Navy early Trackers sheet I have drawn a while ago. This sheet will contain markings for two early dark sea blue S2F-1 Trackers from VS-20 and VS-21 from the 1955-1956 timeframe. Stencilling and wing walkways for one aircraft will be included.

cd48040profiles.jpg

Edited by KursadA

I am really looking forward to these! Several of my friends have not bought the current S-2 kit because they like these blue painted airplanes and are waiting to buy the S2F-1 coming out shortly. The kit doesn't have decals for any blue airplanes even though this was the color that most S2F-1s were delivered from the factory in. This sheet will be the only way to build a blue airplane and I will be buying a lot of sheets!

• 2 weeks later...

This is the final layout of the sheet. Note that I changed the VS-21 option to reflect an earlier BuNo that will match the early style nacelles provided in the kit; I will update the profiles to match.

cd48040t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at the trees in the kit, it appears that both early and late style nacelles are included so any Bu. Nu. of the S2F-1 or -2 will work with this kit. In fact the only thing not included in the kit to build a -3 is the long fuselage. Even the longer wings are included as extra.

Interesting, thanks for the info! I have already sent it for printing, though. But does the kit have the bulged bay door for the -2? That will open up even more possibilities.

No it does not, but it has the bigger horizontal tail. It would be a fairly easy conversion to do. I have done it in 1/72 scale and I will use your VS-20/21 sheet modifying the AC# and Bu# to do it in 1/48. Both squadrons at the time had at least 4 S2F-2s on board the ship. When not being used to practice delivery of the "special weapons" they were utilized just like any "standard" S2F-1 in the squadron. It is common to see photos of 4 ship divisions flying with a mix of S2F-1s and -2s in the same squadron markings which I think is very cool. rolleyes.gif

Edited by aweber stoofan

Once upon a time...

I used this photo to help me draw the lightning bolt on the nacelle. I thought doing that particular aircraft would be nice, but none of your photos showed the BuNo..

Edited by KursadA

It maybe BuNu 133227. I have a photo of a S2F-1 of VS-21 taken at NAS Oakland that is AC# 6. But this airplane still had the early bi-pod ECM antenna over the top of the cockpit. It was so new to VS-21 that it didn't have the lighting bolt painted on the nacelle either.

Edited by aweber stoofan
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Once upon a time...

S2F_JHG_THT.jpg

Small world - my Dad was in VS-21 as an S-2 pilot from 1958 to 1961. Believe by that his time the Stoofs had gone from blue to grey - although Dad does have a funny story about getting the lighting bolts put back on the aircraft...

• 3 weeks later...

I am very pleased with these decals and I can't wait to see what they will look like on the model. I will also use these markings for the S2F-2 I plan on converting from the S2A kit. It will have a most different look from its S2F-1 brothers.

Edited by aweber stoofan
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...