Question on inert practice bombs MK-76

Hi All,

Does anyone knows about 1/72 scaled wing pylons for inert practice bombs being produced for modern jets like F/A-18 Hornets?

I would like to build one Spanish EF-18M (the Spanish upgraded version of the F/A-18A) carrying these pylons but I have not found any example being offered yet by any producer. They would like like this:

http://media.dma.mil/2010/Oct/28/280174/600/400/0/101028-M-4669D-002.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AUS_Navy_091106-N-7191M-013_Aviation_Ordnanceman_2nd_Class_Oliver_Hernandez_loads_a_MK-76_inert_bomb_onto_an_F-A-18C_Hornet_from_the_Golden_Dragons_of_Strike_Fighter_Squadron_(VFA)_192_aboard_the_aircraft_carrier_USS_George_Wash.jpg

Thanks!

Webmodelismo

Mk-76 practice bombs are carried on the BRU-41 IMER on the FA-18 family, and I think on the Harriers although the Harriers may use the BRU-42 ITER instead. For modeling purposes, the BRU-41 and BRU-42 are identical to the MERs and TERs you find in the Hasegawa weapons sets. MERs and TERs are also in the 1/72 Fujimi A-4 Skyhawk kits. Point is, there isn't a special rack used for the practice bombs - the IMER and ITER are common pieces of gear used by several platforms.

As for the Mk-76 bombs, you'll have to scratchbuild those as there are none available from any source that I'm aware of.

the top pic is of an ITER on a Harrier

that is the only modern combo I can think of with the pylon lugs being about the same length as the Blue Lump, and also being able to stand with your head above the wing, with that wing angle relative to the ground (after we tilt our heads to view it)

MK-76 type things are found by sanding away the plate they are molded into in the Hasegawa weapons sets, then gluing the half bombs together

It can be boring work, but, that is the only place I have seen them, in both 1/72 and 1/48

MK-76 type things are found by sanding away the plate they are molded into in the Hasegawa weapons sets, then gluing the half bombs together

It can be boring work, but, that is the only place I have seen them, in both 1/72 and 1/48

Academy's 1/72nd F-15E also has SUU-20's.

HTH,

Andre

• 8 years later...