Hello all.

This is the Airfix 1:72 TSR2 has been on my shelf for quite a while. A while back my LHS had a sale on kits and I bought a Japanese RF-4 for half price with the idea of using the decals for the TSR2.

TSRWhif01_zps35c95655.jpg

I started with the cockpit. I went with orange flt suits for a bit of color.

TSRWhif02_zpsbbc8c932.jpg

This kit is gap city. Its a shame because I wanted to build atleast two more of these. A desert storm a/c and a bare metal one, not anymore.

TSRWhif04_zps77071e8c.jpg

TSRWhif05_zps5c506544.jpg

I was going to go on line and try and buy a recce pod for this but I figured that I have a huge Tupperware box full of extra parts so why not just make something up, it is a whif after all. This is what it looks like so far.

TSRWhif07_zpsa461d34d.jpg

Well now I have an RF-4 kit with no decals, maybe I should also start something with that.

Els

Edited by Els

Since I decided to build the RF-4 that I am using the decals from for the Phantom Addicts group build at the same time I thought I would post a side by side picture to show how big the TSR was.

TSRWhif08_zpsbca9f1df.jpg

I also started slinging some paint around. Based it out with some tan and then used Silly Putty for the masking.

TSRWhif09_zps2706cf91.jpg

Then hit it with some green

TSRWhif10_zps62d0419f.jpg

and finally some very dark green. I am not happy with how the dark green came out on the top of the wings so I will remask that and change it a little.

TSRWhif11_zpsd1b3252d.jpg

I copied the shape of the tail onto some paper so that I could create masks to do the tail.

TSRWhif12_zps1e5e67e1.jpg

TSRWhif13_zpsf480b3b2.jpg

You can see here that there are dark spots in the light green. This is the first time that I have ever gotten residue left over from Silly Putty. I thought that it would disappear when I shot the Future over it but it made a huge mess. The Future ran off of it and pooled up. I have been using this Silly Putty for about two years and I guess it has absorbed all the paint that it can handle. Time for some new stuff.

TSRWhif14_zps1d024bb4.jpg

TSRWhif15_zpsd09249b0.jpg

Els

Great concept and very nice work so far, Sir! Quite honestly, I wouldn't sweat over the silly putty marks: if you look at the dark green on A-4 Kahus, for example (notably the late all-green ones), there are dark stains here and there. Adds character!

ChippyWho, the dark spots were not what really caused the problem. When I put some future over it for the decals the dark spots disappeared but the oil kept on rising to the surface. It made a big mess.

This one is done. I will post more pictures in the completed thread. I am glad to have this off my work bench. The base is in rough shape because I put a nice paint job on it and grabbed what I thought was the can of clear to finish it off only to see flat black spraying on my base. I started sanding it to redoe it and just decided I was fine with the way it was. I went through my extra decal stash and added as much as I could find that would believably fit on it.

TSRWhif18_zps2bbe16b5.jpg

Thanks for following along,

Let me know what you think.

Els