CF-104 Natural Metal - Really! (I hope it works out)

Decalling fast and furious now...

P1180009_zps9877c4da.jpg

P1180010_zps50aa4dee.jpg

I couldn't resist this little family photo, showing the first attempt at natural metal that turned into fudge in my hands. The Global Express in the background is a souvenir from a little training course I went on in early May.

P1180011_zpsa960f28c.jpg

The Wintervalley (now Canuck Models) decals are really nice. There are a couple things to watch out for:

1. Make sure you don't give away the kit decals, because you will need the turbine wheel red stripe from the kit, or you'll have to paint it on.

2. In 1/48, if you were to use the Starfighters Hasegawa boxing, it doesn't come with a turbine wheel stripe - so be prepared to scrounge from a spare sheet, or paint it on.

3. The RCAF (roundel) 762 decal is very long and of course quite thin. I had a bit of a problem with it drooping as I applied it, and one slid down a bit on the glossy silver side, leading to a near-disaster that I was able to salvage, partly through use of some spare numbers from the Canuck Models sheet. My suggestion is to cut this long decal into 3 parts (RCAF, roundel, number), to make it easier to handle.

ALF

After decals, I applied a semi-gloss coat from a lacquer rattle can. Big mistake. It tainted the chrome silver paint slightly, dulling it down. I stopped applying it near the tail, and was able to salvage the glossy area under the tail, and the speed brakes, but the front is a bit duller than I would have liked. In retrospect, I think I would have been better off using Future for the final top coat.

Here it is, finished.

P1180053_zpse8755994.jpg

Glossy bits that remained, kit tail stripe for the turbine wheel. Cool looking retro Canadian flag.

P1180054_zpsbf38a0f5.jpg

In this extreme close-up, you can see the dulling effect of the top coat. Argh. You can also see where I repaired the RCAF (used part of a number to fix the missing bit of the C, and I also used numbers 7 and 6 to replace the ones that got destroyed as the decal drooped).

P1180055_zps8dcb143c.jpg

Don't worry, I removed that wisp of dried glue after these shots.

P1180056_zpsf2d5c8d2.jpg

P1180057_zps986718e3.jpg

ALF

I also used the kit decals for the detail on the tip tanks (top and forward side decals). Canuck Models includes some cool round decals with colours (red and dark blue/green centres) to represent the position lights on the tip tank, engine intake forward of the wing root, and on the tail dark band.

P1180058_zps0adef4c2.jpg

P1180059_zpsdbee30f6.jpg

The dog was somewhat disinterested...

P1180060_zps623c49b0.jpg

I love the colours of this scheme.

P1180061_zpsb490efcc.jpg

The plane may be bigger, but Max outweighs it by at least a couple pounds!

P1180062_zpsa9d6c679.jpg

Here you can see the wonderful detail of the roundels, juxtaposed with the ruined metal surface thanks to my hasty (and untested) application of the over-coat. Next time it will be perfect (in 1/48).

P1180064_zps6f01b73a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

ALF

Beautiful work. And a fast finish!

Thank! That's NOT what she said... But when I get to a certain point, there's absolutely no stopping the train! :woot.gif:

ALF

I leave for a couple of weeks then come back to these big changes..... ALF you have done it my friend!!!! Next thing you know the VW in the Driveway will be done in NMF. :cheers:

Seriously you kicked A $ $ on this one!!!

Emil

I see what you mean about the dulled down finish. :angry: Despite that minor kick in the cobblers, your CF-104 turned out great, ALF. Excellent job. And having His Excellency sit beside it, it gives the viewer an excellent perspective of how big the model is....or how delicate Max is. Major Dad would be very proud of this build. :thumbsup:

This afternoon, there will be some of this: :cheers: However, I don't think Mrs. ALF and Mrs. AX365 would allow it to get to this: :beer4:

Great work, buddy. See you at dinner.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Big time better job!!!w00t.gif

Thanks Shawn!

Now it's less embarrassing to pose this one next to your green version.

Beautiful work. And a fast finish!

Thanks! And that's NOT what she said (fast finish)...

Wow ALF she came out great!!

I real love this paint scheme.

Im sure max is ignoring her cuz hes jealous ...

Cheers Neo

Thanks Neo! Max is actually quite secure in his cuteness. He bores easily.

I leave for a couple of weeks then come back to these big changes..... ALF you have done it my friend!!!! Next thing you know the VW in the Driveway will be done in NMF. :cheers:/>

Seriously you kicked A $ $ on this one!!!

Emil

Thanks Emil!

I see what you mean about the dulled down finish. :angry:/> Despite that minor kick in the cobblers, your CF-104 turned out great, ALF. Excellent job. And having His Excellency sit beside it, it gives the viewer an excellent perspective of how big the model is....or how delicate Max is. Major Dad would be very proud of this build. :thumbsup:/>

This afternoon, there will be some of this: :cheers:/> However, I don't think Mrs. ALF and Mrs. AX365 would allow it to get to this: :beer4:/>

Great work, buddy. See you at dinner.

Mike

Thanks for the great supper, Mike!

Two Coronas was a good compromise, acceptable to both SWMBOs... a good time was had by all.

And thanks again for the incoming CF-18 for my next GB experience.

I have finally shaken the NMF gorilla off my back. When the ARC Bare GB starts after Christmas, I will be primed and ready with a few.

ALF

Thanks for the great supper, Mike!

Two Coronas was a good compromise, acceptable to both SWMBOs... a good time was had by all.

And thanks again for the incoming CF-18 for my next GB experience.

I have finally shaken the NMF gorilla off my back. When the ARC Bare GB starts after Christmas, I will be primed and ready with a few.

ALF

Looks great, ALF!! What will you do for the Bare GB?

Don

Looks great, ALF!! What will you do for the Bare GB?

Don

Thanks Don.

I have several:

1/48 CF-104

1/48 Sabre (USAF Korean War)

Maybe 1/32 Sabre (RCAF) - but I might do this in the Euro camouflage scheme instead

1/48 T-33 Canadian

1/48 B-17

and others I've forgotten for now!

ALF