Spacecraft and rocket models

Thanks so much for posting these pics davegee......wonderful work.

My wife and I visited the Cape Canaveral Air Force Museum February before last ( part of the 'Then and Now' tour I seem to recall ). l Admired your work then without knowing it was your goodself.

Do you get involved with the film props industry work or architectural models ?

Cheers

John

Hi John: I enjoyed doing that project for the Air Force Rocket and Missile Museum. So much history there! I haven't done any specific work for the film industry, although the owner of a company that made a lot of the props for the Apollo 13 movie with Tom Hanks, appraised my Lunar Rover Vehicle model. He said that if I lived in California and wanted a job, I could have one. If I had been in a position to do that, I might have taken him up on that. Once I retire from the airlines, I might look into doing some projects, or at least bidding on some that might crop up. We'll see...

Glad you enjoyed the models. I have to get down there someday and see them in their display cases.

davegee

Hi All: I found some more pics of the 1/6 scale Apollo 17 Challenger LM and LRV model that is on display at the Seattle Museum of Flight since 1996. From 1989 until 1996, it was at the Alabama Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. It was finished just prior to the 20th anniversary celebration of the Apollo 11 mission, so there was a huge celebration of that, and astronauts Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins were there, too.

DSC_00142.jpg

not a great pic, but taken through the Commander's window of the LM pilot's circuit breaker panel and side panels. These CB panels have individual working lights, and every or most panels are labeled using painstaking letter by letter dry transfers applied to surface.

EnvironmentalcontrolsystemseenthroughCDRwindow.jpg

closeup of Environmental Control System (ECS) control panel, taken through the Commander's window.

LMscanpics1.jpg

Collage of early construction photos of LM

DSC_00283.jpg

view of how the astronauts would see the LM from the surface.

davegee

Edited by davegee1

Hi All: another test posting some more pics that wouldn't come up on previous uploads.

DSC_0008.jpg

view of commander's station. Some of the switches do actually work.

view through CDR's window of LM pilot's CB panel and side panels. These CB panels have illumination lights and the lettering was applied letter by letter of dry transfer letter.

davegee

Edited by davegee1

Well, that seemed to work. I'll add another couple now.

DSC_00283.jpg

view as would be seen from astronaut on lunar surface

DSC_00532.jpg

closeup of fender repair on the rover. The actual paper fender that they made is on display in a case next to the 1/34 scale Saturn V model in Gallery 210 at the NASM. It is pretty beat up!

davegee

Edited by davegee1

Hey, this is fun! I'll try a couple more.

DSC_00253.jpg

storage bay opened by pulling down kapton blankest to reveal covered tools and materials they used on their explorations.

LMscanpics2.jpg

old photos taken during the construction. The interior of the box with all the wiring is the computer that allowed demonstration of "firing" of the RCS thruster LED lights. It was actually pretty cool, as you could simulate roll, pitch, yaw, and translational movement with the associated thrusters lighting up at the proper time.

davegee

Edited by davegee1

Hi K2Pete: I used to do a lot of high power rocketry many years ago, flying out near Hartsel, Colorado. I haven't done anything along those lines for a long time, though. My models are large, scratchbuilt ones, made of many materials, but not plastic as in the sense of modifying a plastic kit or something like that. I did some scale stuff, a 1/34 scale Saturn IB, Saturn V, and Mercury Restone rockets, although the Saturn V never flew. The past 10 years I have been working more on 1/6 scale WWII rc fighters and am also engaged in making a full sized replica of a spy satellite that is about 23" in diameter and 21" tall, covered with solar panels. This will be a part of an exhibit at the NASM next year.

Can you post a pic of your Black Brant?

davegee

Cool. I saw a 10th scale Saturn V launch....words cannot describe how awesome that was.

This isn't my BBII, but it's the same kit. Mine is still in progress

Black_brant_size2.jpg

Cool. I saw a 10th scale Saturn V launch....words cannot describe how awesome that was.

This isn't my BBII, but it's the same kit. Mine is still in progress

Black_brant_size2.jpg

yeah, that is a nice looking rocket and flies well, too. I did follow with interest the 1/10th scale Saturn V rocket that flew a couple of years ago. That was very impressive, even from watching the video. I did get to see Apollo 16 launch from about 5 miles away in 1972, and one of the Space Shuttles fly from the VIP stands a few years ago. Nothing like being there, that's for sure!

davegee

Image128-3-1.jpg

Here are a few photos of the testing for the Saturn V rocket that was planned on launching in 1994 down in Florida.

The top photo is a full model sized first and second stage section that was blown apart by remote control. This was to be an abort system that would be commanded if the rocket went awry during the boost phase using the gimballed guidance motors. We had a backup set of parachutes that would have automatically deployed in an abort, however whether the stages would have survived an abort was uncertain.

Bottom left pic is laying on of scale stringers on one of the stages. On each section of the rocket, I did put scale stringers in the same numbers as were on the real thing. This was quite a tedious process!

The bottom right pic is of a test rocket with the computer timer and the Apollo Launch Escape System that was fired on the Saturn IB launch, and would have been used on the Saturn V launch.

davegee

Edited by davegee1

Hi Pete: I don't remember making any changes in Photobucket, but perhaps I did something to corrupt the pics somehow, I don't know. I'm glad I could repost them, though.

I have pics of other projects that I won't post on this blog, but if you are interested, you can check them out on: http://s390.photobucket.com/user/davegee_photos/library/?sort=6&page=1

A lot of them are models or rc aircraft that you may or may not be interested in.

davegee

Hi Pete: I think you are right. When I rearranged some pics in photobucket, that's when the problems began. I have been adding new pics and fixing things that I probably messed up, but it is looking better now. Live and learn, I guess...

Thanks for the tip!

Davegee

Back in 1970, a high school buddy and I started on a 1/16 scale model of Apollo 15. It was pretty cool. We had batteries to simulate fuel cells in the Service Module that powered the Command Module, and then you could separate the CM from the SM and it had its own batteries, simulating how it would be powered through earth re-entry. We also had a radio receiver that could play taped actual astronaut communications into the cabin. We had a bunch of scale lights, and even some tiny switches that could control lighting in the CM. Same went for the LM. And I made a LRV and two astronaut figures. The models were on display at the San Diego Air and Space Museum for 20 years, and then they eventually took them off display. I brought them to Denver where they are on display at the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum since 2007. Considering some of the models are over 43 years old now, they are in pretty good shape. I'll post a few pics.

Apollo15modelsatWingsOvertheRockies.jpg

Display case for models. Wally Schirra was on the Board of Directors for the museum back then, and we had some luncheons with some well-heeled benefactors who contributed to the cost of the display case. Wally was one cool guy, a real privilege to get to know him some.

CMcockpitcloseup.jpg

closeup of interior of CM

Apollo15CM.jpg

CM model in 1/16 scale

Apollo15modelsinSDAM.jpg

a closeup of the models. We decided to display them as individual units

WallySchirraandDave.jpg

Wally Schirra and me at the installation of the Apollo 7 Saturn IB rocket that I had flown a few months before. Wally was really a prince of a guy, a real hero to me and many others.

Edited by davegee1

Image128-3-1.jpg

Here are a few photos of the testing for the Saturn V rocket that was planned on launching in 1994 down in Florida.

The top photo is a full model sized first and second stage section that was blown apart by remote control. This was to be an abort system that would be commanded if the rocket went awry during the boost phase using the gimballed guidance motors. We had a backup set of parachutes that would have automatically deployed in an abort, however whether the stages would have survived an abort was uncertain.

Bottom left pic is laying on of scale stringers on one of the stages. On each section of the rocket, I did put scale stringers in the same numbers as were on the real thing. This was quite a tedious process!

The bottom right pic is of a test rocket with the computer timer and the Apollo Launch Escape System that was fired on the Saturn IB launch, and would have been used on the Saturn V launch. This test, using both Mercury and Apollo escape towers worked perfectly each time we did tried it, with the escape tower arcing away from the booster that was still under power. This was to simulate the jettisoning of the LES when it was no longer needed as an abort model for the spacecraft.

davegee

Dave, these are true works of art. And how great it must be to be able to meet and coordinate with people such as Schirra and have your work viewed and admired by so many. It's a real honor that you've joined our merry bunch of modelers here. I'd love to see more of your work and get to learn your techiniques.

Do you have any advice beyond the technical modeling aspect, but more toward anyone interested in building for museums and/or astronauts and other professionals in the space program?

Bill

Dave, these are true works of art. And how great it must be to be able to meet and coordinate with people such as Schirra and have your work viewed and admired by so many. It's a real honor that you've joined our merry bunch of modelers here. I'd love to see more of your work and get to learn your techiniques.

Do you have any advice beyond the technical modeling aspect, but more toward anyone interested in building for museums and/or astronauts and other professionals in the space program?

Bill

Hi Bill: thanks for your nice comments. I have been a patron of museums, history, and modeling since I was a little kid. The 1/16 scale models of Apollo 15 were offered to the NASM in 1976, and although they liked them, they declined. The Smithsonian as a general rule does not accept items from individuals; there are a few rare exceptions. When I decided not to fly the Saturn V in 1994 due to technical and time reasons, I offered it to several museums, the NASM being first choice, followed by Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. The Chicago museum was great and they really wanted it, but when the NASM showed their interest, I chose them, without question! It has been a very happy and fulfilling relationship with them for 19 years since. I plan to continue that relationship with them and other museums long after I retire from my airline job next year.

How do you get involved with doing this work? That is a good question. Certainly timing has a lot to do with it, as well as being able to travel to different venues to talk in person with these people, as has been afforded me by being an airline pilot. Ultimately, it depends on what the museum needs or wants, and the quality of what you are offering. Most things for museums are donations, but I have done a number of works that I was commissioned to do, too.

The Apollo 15 models, once they were rejected by the NASM, then went to astronaut Jim Irwin's High Flight Institute for a few years (another very cool guy!), then to the USAF Academy museum and then to San Diego for 20 years. It is now back home in Denver at the Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum since 2007.

I would start by asking around local museums that might be looking for some work that you could do to get your name established and further network with other museums and individuals who are or were the movers and shakers in the aerospace field.

My working on models and museums for the past 37 years have been some of the most rewarding events in my life. I encourage you and everyone else interested to start at a local level, or if you find a museum that has a particular need, you might be able to fill it.

Let me know how it goes!

davegee

Hi All: Here are a few pics of the model as it stands today. This one is a challenge in that there is very little documentation for this satellite, and I just have to take a stand and go from there. I am reminded of Brig. Gen. Ted Roosevelt, Jr., who came ashore on D-Day on Utah Beach. Upon discovering that the current had moved them some distance from their planned assault point, he calmly replied "We'll start the war right here."

I'll document this build to completion and then installation next year at the NASM. There might be some good in documenting techniques, successes (and failures) for others who do model projects in the future, of all types. A lot of the work being done on this satellite model transfers to any number of other modeling projects, too. For those interested, I am happy to post progress on it, and answer any questions from anyone on it, too.

DSC_4062.jpg

interior of satellite

DSC_4116.jpg

first coat of primer/surfacer applied

DSC_4117.jpg

some rings cut out of gator foam on CNC machine for some of the structure.

davegee

Here are a few of my favorite pics from the Seattle Museum of Flight 1/6 scale LM Challenger, LRV, and astronauts. I played around with Photoshop a little on a couple of them.

CernanSchmittRoverandLMspongeeffect.jpg

a photoshopped technique looking like paint dabbles

CernanatTaurus-Littrowwatercolor-1.jpg

Photo of Cernan, Challenger, and LRV

DSC_0051.jpg

Cernan, Schmitt, LRV, and Challenger

davegee

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest project, a 1:1 scale DMSP Block I satellite model for the NASM for an exhibit next year. It doesn't look like much now, but it will shape up in time. The size is 23" diameter, and 21" tall. This was one of the first weather satellites and very important as a building block for more advanced satellites we have today. This one had a key support role in the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, where we almost went to WWIII with the Soviets!

DMSPBlock1ConceptinOrbit.jpg

A drawing of what it looked like. It was a super secret project only declassified about 15 years ago.

DSC_41024inchlightcanevaluation.jpg

The basic tube that the outer structure will be added upon. The model will be spinning on a stand to simulate what it did in space, photographing the earth each time its lens rotated downward at 12rpm.

Hi All: I have been busy with other things, but am now starting to get busy with the DMSP satellite. I have some gatorfoam pieces I had cut for me, and will be eventually adding them to the structure. They have foam edges so they will have to be covered or filled somehow to give a metal looking finish to them.

DSC_4391.jpg

DSC_4392.jpg

These two pics are just for orientation as I start to put ideas together for the bottom structure. They are just temporarily layed in the approximate place they will go eventually.

davegee

Keep it coming.. I think it's really interesting to see a build of a museum quality model. Maybe I try such a satellite myself (but in a smaller scale). If I may ask, where do you get your references?

Keep it coming.. I think it's really interesting to see a build of a museum quality model. Maybe I try such a satellite myself (but in a smaller scale). If I may ask, where do you get your references?

Hi Ralf: unfortunately, there are not too many references for this project. I have some photographs, a few drawings, some interviews with the project manager for this program, and right now I'm headed for Dayton, OH to the air for e museum to inspect a later version of the satellite for some ideas. I tho l it will be close to what the originals looked like, but this whole project was declassified only about 15 years ago.

Dave

Hi cracker jazz: I guess I must really like doing this stuff, after all these years! Sure, there have been some down times when things didn't work out as hoped, but all in all it really has been a life-enriching experience since I was a kid. No regrets...

I have been flying airliners for 35 comtinuous years. That's a long time to do that. Thunderstorms, typhoons, check rides, cabin drama with passengers, 9/11; all that stuff wears you down after time. I have nothing but good to say about my employers, and being a LLCP (Lead Line Check Pilot) on the 747-400 for so many years has been very professionally satisfying. But at some point you know it is time to go, and my plans right now are to retire in August 2014 when I turn 60. Still a lot of things I'd like to try while I'm still young enough to give it a shot. We'll see...

Appreciate your interest I my stuff. I will post more on DMSP as it progresses. I am in Washington DC as I write this for meetings on how we will display it. Right now, we are looking to spin it at 12 rpm as the real one did in space.

Cheers

Davegee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ralf: unfortunately, there are not too many references for this project. I have some photographs, a few drawings, some interviews with the project manager for this program, and right now I'm headed for Dayton, OH to the air for e museum to inspect a later version of the satellite for some ideas. I tho l it will be close to what the originals looked like, but this whole project was declassified only about 15 years ago.

Dave

Hi Ralf (and all): Been busy with other stuff, so the DMSP is a little slow going right now. On the plus side, I did talk with the people engineering the display stand for the model and the motor that will rotate it at 10rpm or so to simulate how it flew in orbit. We decided on a couple of aluminum or steel plates, one that attaches to the stand, the other that goes inside the satellite attached to the top with screws. There will be 5 or 6 bolts that will attach the stand to the top of the satellite, making a very solid fit. The top of the satellite is backed up with a round piece of oak, 16 inches in diameter, and 3/4 inch thick. So it should be a very solid model, but lightweight.

Along those lines, I just made a small end piece to the 10 wedges that ring the central tube on the bottom of the satellite. I also had a template made to be sure that the 10 wedges will be precisely aligned when glued to the bottom of the satellite. I wish I had more documentation to go on, but it is pretty thin, and some parts will just have to be assumed to be like the larger TIROS satellite, which I am told is correct by the program manager of this project.

001.jpg

002.jpg

another pic of the bottom showing wedges with end caps ready for gluing up for use later on. I used Titebond wood glue, and it really looks like it is doing the job. I'll check tomorrow to be sure when they are thoroughly dry.

davegee

Edited by davegee1

Hi davegee

Thanks so much. This really is a most interesting project to follow.....particularly the different approaches/materials you illustrate that are needed for such large scale models .

As they form such a large visual element of your model will you use real ( well defunct/rejected ) photovoltaic cells or imitate them ?

Do please keep posting your progress. I certainly am looking forward to seeing the final result in situ as it were.

Best wishes

John

Edited by johnbuck

Hi davegee

Thanks so much. This really is a most interesting project to follow.....particularly the different approaches/materials you illustrate that are needed for such large scale models .

As they form such a large visual element of your model will you use real ( well defunct/rejected ) photovoltaic cells or imitate them ?

Do please keep posting your progress. I certainly am looking forward to seeing the final result in situ as it were.

Best wishes

John

Thanks for your interest, John. I had considered trying to find real solar panel modules to glue onto the model, but my friend at the sign company who is helping me on this thinks he can come up with a process onto plastic that ill make them look very real. Not as good as the real stuff, but it should work for this model, I am hoping. These units covered most of the 10 sides of the satellite, as well as the top. We'll continue to experiment in making very believable looking solar panels. On a recent visit to Hazy, I took many closeup shots of real satellites from that period to try and get this right. Hopefully we'll arrive at something that looks pretty close.

Since this satellite has never been replicated before as a 1:1 model, there are a lot of things to work out. In some ways that is a little daunting, but others a unique challenge to work out all the issues with this scratch build project. I think it has the potential to look pretty neat when done, and rotating on the stand should help convey what it looked like travelling through space in orbit doing its photographic mission.

davegee