Here are good photos of an early B-58 (55-662) bailed to GE for testing the J93 engine for the XB-70. Clearly the wheel wells were interior green with red edges on the gear doors. I saw the TB-58 (55-668) that was at Carswell on display for many years before it was refurbished and transferred to the museum in Galveston, and its wells had been painted white. It still had stenciling from SAAMA (San Antonio Air Material Area if I'm not mistaken) so was definitely how it was painted in-service. I don't know when they changed from interior green to white.

B58pod2

scan0043

B58pod1

If that's a J93 engine attached to the B-58s 'belly', I wonder what they did in order to test it. Did they reduced the power to the other four engines during the procedure or, perhaps something else? Any ideas?

Sernak

• 4 months later...

Here's another shot of a training round B43 nuke on a B-58 taken at Moron AB, Spain, sometime between 1962 and 1965. Note this in-service Hustler also has a green wheel well and door interior. I found the photo on this site, which has a lot of other very interesting photos:

http://www.3973cds.com/content.php?cat=113

113_zps1ed0e269.jpg

Here's another shot of a training round B43 nuke on a B-58 taken at Moron AB, Spain, sometime between 1962 and 1965. Note this in-service Hustler also has a green wheel well and door interior. I found the photo on this site, which has a lot of other very interesting photos:

http://www.3973cds.com/content.php?cat=113

Great website, lots of cool pictures from the cold war days. Thanks for posting the link.