For those that haven't heard about this, NASA is preparing a new, $100 million exhibition hall at the Kennedy Space Center centered on the space shuttle Atlantis, the last orbiter to fly. The exhibit is scheduled to open June 29th, and will add to an already impressive collection of exhibits at the KSC visitor center. Atlantis will be mounted at about a 43 degree angle with the cargo bay doors open. An upper level Mezzanine will allow viewers to get close up views of the upper parts of the shuttle and the inside of the cargo bay. It should be spectacular. Click on the link to see how work is progressing.New Atlantis Exhibit being prepared.

Wow. This looks awesome. I hope they don't try to give it a facelift. It looks so beautiful with all the wear and tear... I always liken these restoration efforts to what they do with championship trophies. A few years ago Mike Tomlin (Steelers' coach) said in an interview that the Lombardi trophy gets extremely filthy during the Superbowl celebrations (slime, fingerprints, sweat etc.) but he just loves the way it looks. He does not like it when the trophy get all polished up for the display. I always thought these two were very similar. To me, restoration efforts just suck the soul out of the subject.

Edited by Janissary

Ho-lee-schmitt! I haven't heard of this ( I must be the last one on earth to be hearing this for the first time) and what a spek-TAK-you-lar display! :jaw-dropping:/>

This Canadian is gonna hafta get down there to see THAT!

Thanx Gil!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

This makes me want to make a diorama of this. smile.gif I have a spare orbiter left over from years ago. I've been stuck on to make it Enterprise or an on orbit orbiter of the main fleet.

I gotta beany cap I can sell you.....lol.

I gotta beany cap I can sell you.....lol.

It's ok dude. :) I am already carving the tiles myself. Thanks for the offer though. :)

DutyCat will you be making any other upgrade resin parts for the Revell/monogram shuttle? Realistic landing gear tires would be nice. The model kit version doesn't match the real thing.

I can't wait to see the Atlantis exhibit. I was there with a group of media the day they moved her from the VAB to the current building location. I also had the chance of a lifetime to stand next to her on the MLP the morning after her STS-135 rollout. Walking under the ET and Boosters mockup to enter Atlantis will bring back some great memories. Here are a few of my shots of Atlantis.

CRW_4253_filtered-M.jpg

Atlantis%202-HDR_filtered-M.jpg

CRW_4592_filtered-M.jpg

CRW_4598_filtered-M.jpg

CRW_4613_filtered-M.jpg

CRW_4899_filtered-M.jpg

It's hard to believe that it has been almost two years since the last shuttle mission. I have been at several launches at the Cape since the shuttle and while they are still exciting it does not compare to the buzz in the air at the press site during a shuttle launch! Memories I will treasure for a lifetime.

Edited by composerman

The "entrance gate" in front of the new exhibition hall takes more and more contours, here just the first the two Nose cones is mounted.

nosecone.jpg

Source: NASA/Dmitri Gerondidakis

It continues forward ... :coolio:

srbs.jpg

Source: NASA/Dmitri Gerondidakis

srbsatlantis.jpg

Source: NASA/Kim Shiflett

and great forms takes ...

atlantisg.jpg

The ET will become the eye-catcher. :thumbsup:

:wave:

Edited by spaceman

Hi guys,

here are some further impressive prospects,

kscatlantis1.jpg

kscatlantis2.jpg

kscatlantis3.jpg

I can't get enough of this amazing view. :coolio:

Edited by spaceman

Spectacular impressions should arise with the planned digital and lighting effects, among other things, an earth horizon projected on the walls, as if Atlantis is floating again through space ... :woot.gif::woot.gif::woot.gif:

Here a little taste by designs of the designer, PGAV Destinations, architects headquartered in St. Louis, Mo., from the Photo Gallery: Atlantis being prepped for permanent display, which contains even more great pictures. :thumbsup:

1858037_G.jpg

1858039_G.jpg

2212825_G.jpg

Unfortunately, we must wait for these images until the opening on June 29. :crying2:

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys,

the KSC Visitor Complex yesterday had invited selected personalities and staff to a family viewing to the dress rehearsal. That suggested yesterday afternoon on the last webcam pictures, when already the first visitors appeared.

x2cs.jpg 05:40 PM

Source: KSC Visitor Complex

5hr0.jpg 05:40 PM

Source: KSC Visitor Complex

And so to welcome visitors at the entrance to the exhibition in front of the gigantic SRB-ET entrance gate.

om0k.jpg

Source: NASASpaceFlight.com (padrat)

The following video (SpaceKSC.com) has already had an impressive taste of the certainly spectacular opening of exhibition on Saturday in a week, June 29, and the exhibition itself. :thumbsup:

First of all, great pictures of the outdoor area in front of the "entrance gate", as well as from the inner entrance with the circuits can be seen. Before the inner entrance portal to the actual exhibition opens for the visitors, one can look back to the impressive history of the NASA space shuttle program on a large screen in a ten-minute intro, from the beginnings and first ideas of engineers and scientists up to the last mission of the Atlantis STS-135.

But looks simply for yourself, an absolute delight and guaranteed goose bumps pure ... :coolio:

Here is the Video.

Thanx Manfred for the link ... that introductory video ... and then the view of Atlantis behind the screen ... was SPEK-TAK-U-LAR!

What a GREAT idea THAT was!!

I have GOT to get down there to see this exhibit!!!

Pete

Can you not take with me, Pete? :crying2:/>

:wave:/>

I live near Niagara Falls. Come on over here, and we'll drive to Florida!

We'll pick up crowe-t in New York, then drive to Texas and pick up niart7, then to Jacksonville Florida and pick up DutyCat and in about 70 hours, we'll be there!!

... and it'll be worth it! :thumbsup::woot.gif::beer4::yahoo::wave:

Pete

I live near Niagara Falls. Come on over here, and we'll drive to Florida!

We'll pick up crowe-t in New York, then drive to Texas and pick up niart7, then to Jacksonville Florida and pick up DutyCat and in about 70 hours, we'll be there!!

... and it'll be worth it! :thumbsup:/> :woot.gif:/> :beer4:/> :yahoo:/> :wave:/>

Pete

SHOTGUN! :woot.gif:

Bill

Yep Pete and Bill, :jaw-dropping: what an inviting idea, that might become a great happening, we all together with Atlantis in the virtual space, let's dream about together ... :whistle:

Perhaps this can be arranged, I would be happy ... :nanner::beer4::rofl:

I will be down there this weekend visiting the center with my family. Unfortunately, the exhibit will not be open yet! But, the timing can't be helped because of other commitments. The good thing is, since I live in Jacksonville, I can visit any weekend once the crowds die down a little. Make no mistake about it though, this will be a big draw.

I'm heading over next month for the MUOS 2 Atlas V launch and I'm hoping to have time to go see what they have done with here. The last time I saw her was when she was moved from the VAB to the new building at the Visitor's Center that was still under construction. There were a few media events to see the new center over the last few weeks, but I have been up to my eyeballs with other projects and could not attend. I can't wait to see photos!

Hi Guys,

the video is very exciting, but I have a few tidbits for you. Here are some exclusive photos of a friend from the NASASpaceFlight Forum (padrat), that will make you even more curious. :coolio:

First to a display "Stack on MLP", particularly for Mike (and me): :thumbsup:

z65y.jpg

mxb.jpg

er8a.jpg

7hhl.jpg

It might be by my count in approx. 1/16 scale, but this is a very spartan version of MLP for my taste. :woot.gif: For this, Mike's modified Revell MLP looks much more better. Okay, perhaps the effort for a more detailed display would have been just too expensive. :rolleyes:

More Atlantis ...

xf94.jpg

A full size mockup of Hubble ...

4hjx.jpg

And there is a nice surprise, the Pad 39B GOX Vent arm with Beanie Cap ...

5gat.jpg

lzp1.jpg

A neat looking ISS exhibit for the kids to play in, when it's finished ...

0nbe.jpg

And last not least, there's also a TIME CAPSULE ...

t29t.jpg

And many other spectacular things ... :woot.gif:

So long Guys, enjoy and keep cool! :coolio:

Edited by spaceman