Going to be building this 1/72 scale Hasegawa F-105B next with 108th TFW 141st TFS markings. Pretty sure I'm going with the natural metal finish on this one but that could change.

IMG_20130504_141128_707_zpse6ff68b8.jpg

The nice thing is that you get markings for a naturale metal and a SEA painted bird. Decals are also provided in case you want to paint the SEA birds tail blue for a closer match or you could just use the ones with the blue back ground as is.

IMG_20130504_141156_679_zpsc25b97e4.jpg

I remember when New Jersey sent a couple of F-105's to our open house's in the 1970's,the pilot's were always amazed how much attention they got from the attendee's,just because of the shear size of the 105 I guess.Florida always brought a 106 as well which were spotless to the point of almost blinding you!I feel lucky to have seen a lot of aircraft I never would have if it weren't for my dad working on our units flight line.Watching this one,can't wait to see the finished model!

IIRC, the kit isn't a B model, but a re-boxed D model, or at least the Hasegawa F-105B kit that I got was a reboxed D model. You should be able to tell by the placement of the Vulcan cannon. The B model had the 20mm up on the nose.....

Republic_F-105B_with_avionics_layout_060831-F-1234S-046.jpg

The D model had the improved NASARR R-14A radar and AN/ASG-19 Thunderstick fire-control system, which had a much larger radar dish. As a result, the nose cone was enlarged, the forward end of the aircraft was lengthened by 16 inches, and the cannon was moved further back....

Republic_F-105D_Thunderchief_USAF.jpg

I don't know if that boxing that you have is the same old D kit, or if they tried to modify it to a B model.

BTW, both images from Wiki.....

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the MM non-buffing aluminum was a little too grainy looking so I changed gears. I hope I did the right thing.

IMG_20130601_084820_959_zpsb0f1aaa7.jpg

So here is the 105 with a coat of MM chrome silver. It's real bright for now but I think I'll be able to tone it down after I'm done applying the decals and other paint.

IMG_20130605_190332_334_zps2ee44f1c.jpg

I also painted a bunch of black and silver things.

IMG_20130605_190120_824_zps874e1c45.jpg

IMG_20130605_190139_490_zpse2d8084d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, thing disappeared! I know Pete replied and everything I posted yesterday and this morning are gone. I posted a long one with how my trial and error resulted in the almost completed project.Thanks for the kind words.

• 3 weeks later...

Was actually just going to just load a dummy practice bomb on the center and leave the wing tanks off I have only seen the silver NJ 105s naked or with the practice bomb. I'm not actually sure how to mount the dummy bomb since the bally is relatively smooth with no mounting holes. I'll have to dig the directions back out.

F105B75779_zpscaf646e2.jpg

ptmcclellan_f105_form_zps65fdfc75.jpg

Edited by Spectre711