OK, I'm going to call this one done. I ended up cutting some corners, but I long ago realized that I like finishing a project more than working on a project. There's a few seams here and there, and the paint job doesn't hold up under close scrutiny. My goal was to make a semi-accurate TF-15A. Depending on how you define your terms, I think I'm there. I used some parts from the Revell F-15C kit as well as some Parts-R-Parts parts that are closer to an old F-15 versus the Tamiya F-15CishE kit. I intended to use G -Factor metal landing gear meant for the Revell kit. I've done that in the past, and as long as nobody is looking up your wheel wells, its not a big deal. But in the interests of saving time, I went with the Tamiya kit gear, but used the tires from the Revell kit. The dune-buggy E wheels from the Tamiya kit just don't look right to me on an A, B, C, or D model. I used some ESCAPAC resin seats from CAM, even though I don't think they are the right model; the ACESII kit seats just wouldn't have fit in. I came across a set of Cutting Edge F-15 Feathered nozzles that turned out to be pretty close to what I needed. They were a bit undersized diameter-wise, but I more-or-less made them work. I've built a few of the Tamiya Eagles, and have always had trouble with the intakes. That funky hinge is nowhere near right, and maybe on the next one I will address that. The external tank came from one of the Revell F-4 kits (Rf-4C or F-4E). The markings

are not 100% accurate, but close. I used decals from 6 or 8 different sheets. I only had a few pictures of this jet from the time period I wanted, so some things are a guess on my part. As I wanted to model this jet from very early after the black and white stripes were applied, I kept weathering to a minimum. And besides, that saved more time! I always had a tough time with the NMF areas between the vertical stabs on these kits. This time I tried something new...and ended up with grotesque seams at the stab/fuselage joint, not to mention the touch-up I just realized I need to do. Ahhh well, next time I'll try something else.

*EDIT Something was bugging me about this...but I was done with it, so that's all that mattered....then it hit me...that windscreen looked incredibly clear. Too clear. As in invisible clear. That little issue has been rectified, but I'm not going to take the time to re-do the pictures. I'm already thinking about the next kit...

EDIT the EDIT I was CERTAIN I put this in the "Display Case"....

IMAG0265_zps7c2f3d9e.jpg

IMAG0264_zps098091a3.jpg

IMAG0263_zpse5463607.jpg

Edited by johncrow