Trumpeter 1/48 A3D-2 Skywarrior kit contents

F24: Periscope door dome (ref flt manual 7/57) beside (not on) nose gear door (step 16). Part LB6 (same step) is dome on nose gear door.

F25: stabilizer from an F9F-8T. Well, perhaps I exaggerate. The instructions do not show the aft fuel dump at all.

The part is as long as the access hatch but narrower, has an airfoil shape, and the end (when lying on table top) is flat in the vertical and curved in the horizontal (that is, curved when looked at from above/below, like the wing tips).

So far, parts/#s on instructions are matching part #s on sprues.

Wing fold: instructions continue in a late step, for outer wing attachment. A PE piece is added -- a curved piece that in photos is forward on the wing, attached to the inner and outer panel. Instructions seem to show it more to the center.

My ERRORs: said earlier that inner wing panel has 5 small pieces: correct, but it is 3 plastic and 2 PE. The triangular piece is plastic. Also just found a photo (Aerofax 5 pg 100) that shows that it is not solid. I'll have to check other photos again---different piece on different planes? The plastic piece reasonably matches the not-solid one in the photo.

The triangular piece is the part with the hydrauic piston rod leading from the top of it into the outer wing panel. That piston does not appear to be included in the kit.

Was that the only piston for folding?

Some steps specifically use the word "folding" and show assembly for folded wings/fin. So, apparently, the word "open" in the instructions means "unfolded".

The triangular piece is the part with the hydraulic piston rod leading from the top of it into the outer wing panel. That piston does not appear to be included in the kit.

Was that the only piston for folding?

The wing folding actuator was located in the outer wing panel. All you'd be able to see in the hole in the outboard wing panel closeout would be the very bottom of the body of the actuator.

F25: stabilizer from an F9F-8T. Well, perhaps I exaggerate. The instructions do not show the aft fuel dump at all.

The part is as long as the access hatch but narrower, has an airfoil shape, and the end (when lying on table top) is flat in the vertical and curved in the horizontal (that is, curved when looked at from above/below, like the wing tips).

That's just too funny! :rofl: So you couldn't find it in the instruction sheet either. I don't have a clue as what it's supposed to be.

These will be the options on my first A3D-2 sheet-hopefully more interesting than what comes with the kit, despite the fact that our choices are somewhat limited with the early nose. Note that all of these will have you sand off the refueling probe fairing: even though I'm pretty sure all of them got the probe at some point and flew with the combination of the early nose & refueling probe for a while.

cd48042profiles.jpg

Edited by KursadA

The way Trump has done the wings & slats sort of makes it easier to move between a CLE and non-CLE wing, if you're not too concerned about the shape of the air foil. It looks like they used the non-CLE air foil, but the CLE slats, so you could keep the slats as-is and build a CLE wing jet, or modify the slats for an earlier version.

Which brings me to my question: In addition to having a slightly longer span, were the earlier slats more broad in chord compared to the CLE slats? It looks like this is the case when you compare the two in the drawing on Tommy's blog. The drawing in the " A3D In Action" book shows the slats having the same chord, but their drawings have been suspect in the past. Easy fix, either way. Any thoughts, Tommy?

Ben

I revisited the original and CLE wing differences, which was a little frustrating because of the inconsistency among the Douglas drawings I have, which stands to reason because 1) it didn't really matter to manufacturing or mechanics and 2) draftsmen didn't have Illustrator in those days...

Anyway, for a new illustration that may or may not be more accurate and some other interesting trivia about differences between the original and CLE wings, see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2013/06/a3d-3-skywarrior-wings.html

I have just finished up the master for the fuel vent and refueling pod, so there will be a KA-3B conversion in the near future. Realizing that the canopy is different, I might as well go ahead and work on the pods and canoe for an EKA-3B for those that want one. I've also begun work on the seats. I'm having great fun working on all this Skywarrior stuff!

Assembly begins:

So there was this guy who said he was starting with the wings and now he's just finished putting the upper rudder and upper fin together.

Actually, that looked like a good preview of what to expect with the wings.

It was good. Fit is great and everything lined up well. Both had a locator pin too long but when shortened (didn't want to cut them off) they fit fine and located spot-on (I live near Canada).

I did not put the piece in for the base of the rudder yet--let the parts set (using Testors red tube, still by far my favorite).

That piece is plastic (F34).

The base of the upper fin is open, not ridges to glue together. A ridge on both sides will be the mounting surface for F34. That suggests using the glue sparingly to prevent too quick out-of-position setting or to prevent glue coming around the edges.

All of these pieces are on F.

So, speaking of F25, now that the fret is out of the bag the appearance was distorted by the bag.

The (apparently) outer end is not curved. The leading edge sweep angle increases to a point essentially mid span then the tip continues straight back parallel to the base.

The shape is actually like an F-117 wing--from leading edge angles up and down, mid chord is horizontal, rear angles to trailing edge, each of the 3 sections (top and bottom) being flat, no curves.

In looking for a not-used tip for the alleged fuel-vent, I see that the parts for extended flaps are not used--sure enough, the instructions show the flaps up, only.

Also, G22 is a duplicate of F25--there's two of the buggers!!!! (also not used).

Gotta go, bye!

I have just finished up the master for the fuel vent and refueling pod, so there will be a KA-3B conversion in the near future. Realizing that the canopy is different, I might as well go ahead and work on the pods and canoe for an EKA-3B for those that want one. I've also begun work on the seats. I'm having great fun working on all this Skywarrior stuff!

Hello Darren, it's wonderful to hear you're working on some Whale stuff but notice that the sprue configuration lets the door open for future variants and I bet my 2 cents that the tanker'll be on the market soon. As always, I want to see some improved cockpit and wheel wells and why not, the engine too!

Regards,

I.Martin

I would imagine that other variants will be released in the future. But sometimes they take quite awhile to come out. So I figured I'd strike while the iron was hot, so to say. I know I want a tanker variant for my Vietnam collection. Since I'm doing one anyway, I might as well cast more and release them.

I have been following this thread with great interest. I will probably wait until Trumpeter releases the three variants I want to do; the RA-3B, ERA-3B & EKA-3B. Of course somebody might do conversions for those versions, which could change my plans. <_</>

Now I have the unload my 3 Hasegawa 1/72 Skywarriors, and the Cutting Edge conversions I have.

I wonder, could the Cutting Edge 1/72 Skywarrior conversions be used as reference material, for somebody to do them in 1/48, for the Trumpeter kit? :whistle:/>

Larry

Hi

I rather fancy doing a GSB A3D-1. Can this be done from the Trumpy kit? Were any used operationally or were they all test airframes?

Will

With respect to color, yes and no. They were not all test airplanes but strictly speaking, blue airplanes don't appear to have deployed. The A3Ds turned gray/white pretty quickly. For example,the A3D-1Qs from the first production lot of A3D-1s went to the two VQ squadrons in gray/white livery. Some A3D-1s from at least the second production lot were delivered to operational squadrons as blue airplanes for the earliest possible deployment once NATC completed at-sea Skywarrior qualification testing. (I think I've seen pictures of blue A3D-2s as well.) However, they all appear to have been repainted in the gray/white scheme before they actually deployed aboard aircraft carriers.

Delete the inflight refueling boom, redo the hubs on the main landing gear wheels so they are flush on the outboard side, fill in engraved lines on the inboard slat and modify the ones outboard of the pylon, don't put on most of the antennas, glue the entry door shut (it's the Version type, not the Bomber's), beef up the equipment at the bombardier's station, and you're well on your way to an A3D-1.

Hmm, I'm wondering the same thing. :whistle:/>

Be careful. Someone on this board will accuse you of copying their work ala Rhino :jaw-dropping::deadhorse1: :-)

Can't wait for your EK or just KA-3 conversions. I am waiting to build until they are available.

I just pulled the first test cast for the refueling pod. It turned out nicely, so I'll start making multiple molds and get casting. Once my PC is back up and running I'll post pictures. I'm on the laptop right now and it doesn't have photo software on it. I'm hoping to have all the new stuff to Sprue Brothers by the end of June at the latest. Here are all the projects I've been working on.

-- flush wheels (the bomber variants all had these)

-- tailhook assembly

-- dove tail

-- blunt "speed" nose

-- refueling pod

-- larger fuel vent

-- seats

-- DECM antenna on either side of the front wheel bay for a mid-life upgrade

I just pulled the first test cast for the refueling pod. It turned out nicely, so I'll start making multiple molds and get casting. Once my PC is back up and running I'll post pictures. I'm on the laptop right now and it doesn't have photo software on it. I'm hoping to have all the new stuff to Sprue Brothers by the end of June at the latest. Here are all the projects I've been working on.

-- flush wheels (the bomber variants all had these)

-- tailhook assembly

-- dove tail

-- blunt "speed" nose

-- refueling pod

-- larger fuel vent

-- seats

-- DECM antenna on either side of the front wheel bay for a mid-life upgrade

Hi

Are you going to package these separately or as a package?

TIA

Tom

These will be the options on my first A3D-2 sheet-hopefully more interesting than what comes with the kit, despite the fact that our choices are somewhat limited with the early nose. Note that all of these will have you sand off the refueling probe fairing: even though I'm pretty sure all of them got the probe at some point and flew with the combination of the early nose & refueling probe for a while.

cd48042profiles.jpg

Oop. Looks like I'm going to have to get a Skywarrior now. VAH5.

Oop. Looks like I'm going to have to get a Skywarrior now. VAH5.

Good choice - the VAH-5 markings are plain, but AK 502 is one of the few aircraft from that period with a name ("The Savage Queen").

savage1.jpg