T-2 and TA-4J tribute build (1/48)

After doing the 104 WIP thread, and realizing the positive effect it had on my build (hopefully finished soon), I decided I would have a thread for my next project. This is going to be a dual build for my father, who trained in both of these planes back in 83. The T-2 will be the BuNo that he carrier qualified on and the TA-4 will be a BuNo that he flew. This will be a slow build because my schedule doesn't allow a lot of time for building and it is very important to me that I not only get as many small details as possible correct but also do the best build I am capable of. I've almost got all the parts and pieces together, I just need to purchase a few more things this weekend at Squadron's open house. The T-2 is a Special Hobby kit, with Two Bobs decals. The decals are for VT-19 but with a little surgery the 19 becomes 9! I am still pondering how I'm going to create the tiger paws across the T-2 that were prevalent on the VT-9 birds. The TA-4 is a Has kit with I believe fightertown decals (forgot who made em, I'll look when I get home). I have a two ideas for the display base, but you'll have to stay tuned and see what happens. Please feel free to provide any info on the kits and builds, as I certainly can use all the help I can get.

t-2_zpsf0ca0075.jpg

ta-4_zps70bde004.jpg

I just finished this same project about a week ago. But I used Classic Airframes TA-4J and the Twobobs Buckeye (which is the same kit without the photo etch). Through no fault but my own, that kit fought me every step of the way for 3 years.

Good luck and may your builds be quick and trouble free. :thumbsup:/>

Edited by xavi84

I just finished this same project about a week ago. But I used Classic Airframes TA-4J and the Twobobs Buckeye (which is the same kit without the photo etch). Through no fault but my own, that kit fought me every step of the way for 3 years.

Good luck and may your builds be quick and trouble free. :thumbsup:/>/>

Thanks for the well wishes. I got some goodies for the TA-4 from Eduard and some great reference books now (of course lots of photos from my dad too). I'm very excited to start the TA-4 and am thoroughly looking forward to building it. I've started on the T-2 front office and am already seeing many a head scratching moments in my future. But, its a very important build to me so I will succeed. Hopefully I can have a few photos up by mid-week. Stay tuned and please provide feedback as you see necessary!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is just a quick update of the progress made so far. I've had time to start the interiors and a few odds and ends. No cockpit photos yet because they are in the very early stages, but the panels are almost done. I've also included the resin helmet that will be painted the same as my father's. The helmet is amazingly detailed but it is almost impossible to hold to work on! The build progress is SLOW but I'm doing my best. Sorry for the photo quality, all I have is a cell phone. Thanks for looking :wave:

IMG_20130529_152113_500_zps0b380c09.jpg

Nice work falcon20driver! You know I am building the T-2 and the only problem I encoutered with the instrument panels was with the fit of the "metal" panels inside the plastic "hood". I had to trim them a litlle bit in order to fit.

Nice work falcon20driver! You know I am building the T-2 and the only problem I encoutered with the instrument panels was with the fit of the "metal" panels inside the plastic "hood". I had to trim them a litlle bit in order to fit.

I had the exact same issue with them. I was naïve enough to think they'd just plop right in, but that certainly wasn't the case. Nothing a little snip of the scissors couldn't fix. I've got all the T-2 cockpit parts sitting out and I'm starting the assembly process today. It's scary working with that cockpit because I can see how easily it'll be to get it messed up. Slow and steady, with some of this too :pray: . Thanks for looking :wave:

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile but I've managed to make some progress. Lot's of fiddly bits in the cockpits of both planes to be dealt with and painted. There has been a lot of :bandhead2: followed by some :OMG-OMG: while working on the T-2, but I'm surviving so far. The TA-4 is keeping me sane I guess. I'm almost done with the cockpits and hope to be putting together some fuselage sections next time I'm home. The first picture is the TA-4 display base. The resin is on but I still need to sand down the sides, paint them black, and then place the plaque.

IMG_20130704_184832_694_zps2271dffc.jpg

The next two pictures show the bang seats for the TA-4 with a copy of my dad's helmet, and then the seats for the T-2.

IMG_20130705_135805_428_zps279614e6.jpg

IMG_20130705_172709_884_zps1511cfc1.jpg

Here are a few photos of the cockpits coming together. The TA-4 cockpits are more or less finished.

IMG_20130707_170021_842_zpsa5e16121.jpg

IMG_20130707_165911_406_zps2f494e05.jpg

The T-2 front office still has some work left in it (paint and odds/ends) but it's coming together.

IMG_20130707_150122_149_zps71e6d9af.jpg

It's slow going but it is going! Thanks for looking :wave:

Thank you for the positive comments. The base isn't quite finished yet, I still need to work on the edges and lay down another coat of glaze on the T-2 base.

The helmet is resin from True details. I picked it up from Squadron during their open house. It comes with 4 helmets (2 different types) and oxygen mask as well. The hardest part is trying to paint the stupid thing. It's so small and my fingers aren't! :wacko: .

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous work on the instrument panels... Everything looks great so far!

Thank you. An "atta" boy helps while I'm :bandhead2: while dealing with the T-2.

I was able to get the Buckeye fuselage together this weekend. The rest of the work is a lot of filling seams and sanding on both planes. The photos show where I'm at right now. The wings on the T-2 are just partially dry fit, hence the MASSIVE gap. It's going to take a lot of work to get them to snug up to the fuselage. Anyone else who has or is going to build a Special Hobby kit has my full respect even for trying it!

IMG_20130720_163219_207_zps27ef30a9.jpg

IMG_20130722_160332_571_zps76344d5a.jpg

Here is a quick snapshot of how the two will look together. Display bases are almost done, just need to paint the outer section flat black.

IMG_20130722_160612_679_zpsefcd1906.jpg

Thanks for looking :wave:

Yeap!!!!!...thank God I am not the only one that encoutered that "wing problem" with the T-2...if I remember well that was a critical point to my "built" as I was ready to throw it to the wall. Dont worry, some sanding / filling will eliminate the problem!

Good work falcon20driver,and...ooooooo,..I love those bases!!!

Yeap!!!!!...thank God I am not the only one that encoutered that "wing problem" with the T-2...if I remember well that was a critical point to my "built" as I was ready to throw it to the wall. Dont worry, some sanding / filling will eliminate the problem!

Good work falcon20driver,and...ooooooo,..I love those bases!!!

It seems as though the "idea" the kit designer had for mounting the wings was a good one, but the execution left a lot to be desired. I'm going to keep slowly nipping away at the plastic to see if I can get them to fit so I don't need too much filler. I also started joining the intakes to the fuselage last night, what a nightmare! :OMG-OMG: My poor fiance has to listen to the less than PG words streaming out of the office as I work on it :blush: . But, its starting to look like a T-2 and that's giving me some hope. I'll just have to go back and rescribe a lot of places that are being sanded down.

I was able to get a bit more done this past time off at home. I'm in the stage of lots of work that doesn't quite show up. There is a lot of filing and sanding and smoothing going on right now. However, a lot of effort now pays off big time when I finally start laying down the paint. Both planes have their noses on now and the intakes are on the T-2. Those intakes on the Buckeye were a BEAR to get right. I'm still cleaning them up but I think they're looking good. I will be covering the intakes so I'm not horribly concerned about the interior of them. I also got the A-4 wing put together and sanded/smoothed up.

IMG_20130723_172207_825_zpse0a271ab.jpg

IMG_20130723_172058_232_zpsbea5323a.jpg

IMG_20130723_201800_662_zps8f522175.jpg

Next time home, I'll finish up seams and sanding on the A-4 and hopefully I'll get the wings on the T-2.

Thanks for looking :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get some more work done since I'm at home for a bit. I'm still mostly working through the fill and sand section of the builds. I spent some time on the A-4 cockpit and canopy adding fiddly photo etch bits like rear view mirrors and the gun sight. I also spent some time working on the photo etch parts of the slats. The A-4 is almost ready for the first coat of primer. I was also able to start getting some more of the major assemblies together on the T-2. The wings are together and being dry fit, as well as the horizontal stabs. I received the VT-9 decals I desperately needed from louie, thanks a ton :cheers: ! Lastly, I finished up the display base for the A-4. I'm very happy with how it came out. I just need to paint the T-2 base and that part of the project is over! Thanks for looking :wave:

IMG_20130807_142938_671_zpsd227d299.jpg

IMG_20130808_120559_892_zps3d29e15b.jpg

IMG_20130809_193351_454_zps06445268.jpg