T-2 Buckeye in NAVY service.

Here we are again, this time I am planning a T-2 diorama, landing on an aircraftcarrier. My first question is...what are the "closest" Gunze colours for the red and the white, what do you suggest???

According to MIL-STD-2161A(AS) (from 1985) the FS numbers you should be looking for are, 17875 and 12197. Can't help with Gunze FS assignments, though.

Thanks guys!!! My problem is that I "see" "white" in the photos, but it supposed to be "off white" and all the "reds" look the same to me!

use a nice bright "straight white"

the off white was the spec, but as Elliot says in the Monogram colors series, using tinting in the White paint to actually get the off white was NOT authorized

so, everywhere you read will say to use 17875, but, the actual paint applied was 17925, a very bright white paint

edited to add the "NOT" that I forgot,,,,,you read it the way I intended, though, so it is all good,,,,sorry to anyone else reading this

Edited by Rex

Great info Rex! thanks... so I'll go for "bright" white" and "redorangy,more red...red"! H14 as Andre suggested looks good to me for "red".

My problem is that I "see" "white" in the photos, but it supposed to be "off white"

Don't over think it. White is the color you want. The FS color is just plain old white.

Here we are again, this time I am planning a T-2 diorama, landing on an aircraftcarrier. My first question is...what are the "closest" Gunze colours for the red and the white, what do you suggest???

The day glow orange is that color only for a few months, and I mean few. It is affected greatly by UV light and quickly fades to red, then pinkish red. I paint that color plain old red and it looks more realistic to my eyes.

Actually I was planning to mix the dayglow orange with lots of red till I am satisfied with the "shade"... you are wright , all the photos I have seen the "red" looks ..."red"!!!

...by the way...excellent model your Scooter!!!

Edited by zark

Hey Zark, I live about 90 miles south of NAS Kingsville and have been around Buckeyes up close. I can tell you first hand that their colors fade out really quick. The "red" you are looking for is really more orange than red. And as far as the white goes any flat white will do. There is so much variation from jet to jet it really doesn't matter.

-Xavi

yeah, all FS Whites are the same

Did I say they were? I don't recall saying so, and I just looked back over my post, and I can't find that anywhere in what I wrote. Insignia white is just plain old white. Navy jets are not cream, or bluish-white, or greenish-white. They're white. I've seen about a million of them first hand, and they're white.

Actually I was planning to mix the dayglow orange with lots of red till I am satisfied with the "shade"... you are wright , all the photos I have seen the "red" looks ..."red"!!!

It's **not** day-glow. That means fluorescent. Navy trainers are FS12197 International Orange. Be **very** wary of only looking at photos online. JPG artifact can easily mislead you. It's a very red orange color, but it *is* orange.

and I also said to get a nice bright white, in my post that pre-dates yours saying not to over think it

but, the "spec" white WAS indeed a BG color, and the "actual" white WAS indeed a GY,,,,,,,that makes 17875 a very light Blue Green color, and 17925 a very light Green Yellow color,,,,,since there was no B for Black or W for White in the system used to design and choose military colors

so, as I said,,,,,use a bright white for the actual color applied to the aircraft,,,,,and not the spec off white specified in USN docs, but not authorized to be mixed in the field

I won't claim to have seen a million Navy aircraft, out of the 200,000 produced,,,,,but, I saw a bunch of them, back before the 1984 deal

edit to add: I am very glad for date and time on these posts,,,,otherwise people might think *I* was following *you* around, correcting the actual FS facts with outdated IPMS mistaken theories

Edited by Rex

Actually Rex, it was me that made the "overthink" comment. I just felt that we had provided Zark the info he was looking for, but then he wasn't seeming to "get it." However, if he just paints it "white" as he'll get out of most spray cans or model paints, he'll be right. And as mentioned 12197 is not Day-Glo as I know that you know already, but I don't know that Zark does.

thanks, Don

Zark, here you go

you don't want the USN-FS "spec" color of 17875, shown on this FS-1968 page, because the small 17925 chip is the paint that came in the cans, and mixing in the tints needed to create the spec color was not authorized

so, you want any paint that comes out looking like my little paint card,,,,,,and not any that come out looking like the chip on the FS page

001-2.jpg

and you want the "really came out of the can bright white" for any USN/USMC Gloss White from about 1955 up to 1984,,,,,,,after 1984, I don't know, because I don't know which White the GSA chose when they messed up the USN supplied colors by combining a bunch of them to only show one color per line instead of the 1, 2 or 3 that the USN was using

Edited by Rex

What can I say guys...your help is overwhelming, I want to thank you all for your assistance. Just to put the thinks straight...is very hard to make me angry or upset...or..or..or about modeling, no offence is taken from any one of you... lets have some "light" entertainment to our lives guys, we have enough problems to face in "real" life, I am just enjoying the hole "conversation"!!!

Ok...you "asked for it", one more question, in my diorama I am going to have only the pilot at the front seat, what about the back seat that is not used, do I have to add something else now that is empty?

I know the TA-4J had a "solo harness" that was used at least in the training command to tightly connect the seat harness/buckles for the empty rear seat on solo hops, in order to avoid any loose harness/belts in the back from coming adrift in flight and causing any issues. (Since the SNA [student naval aviator] in the front seat would be powerless to do anything about it.) One of those lessons learned which was "written in blood" I'm sure. I would assume the Buckeye had a similar arrangement, but I don't know that for an absolute fact. If there was not a specific harness piece, the harness straps would need to be somehow tightly snugged-down, tucked away, or otherwise stowed in a secure position so as to avoid any loose, 'bitter ends' which Mr. Murphy would then utilize to wreak havoc upon an unsuspecting junior soloist.