Yes it's true, I have cancer....

I've received a bunch of messages and emails asking me if this is true. And since I'm not into keeping it a secret...yes it's true. I was diagnosed with advanced Prostate Cancer a couple of weeks ago. I've already been started on a Testosterone blocker pill to stop the production of the hormone, which feeds prostate cancer. I go to the hospital tomorrow for a bone scan and a CT scan. Then next week I see the oncologist to have the cancer graded and staged. Then get the plan of attack. Most likely this will be a few weeks of this blocker pill followed by a couple of months of radiation and chemo to shrink the prostate. Then surgery to remove it. The cancer has already spread a little to the surrounding tissue but they think that can be taken care of.

While it certainly sucks to get the news you have cancer, my urologist believes I will have an excellent prognosis down the road. I am 61 now and my father had this same thing when he was around my age. And he is 83 now and doing fine. It is indeed scary but I have great confidence in my Doctors. And I have lost 51 pounds now from Weight Watchers and working out every day so I'm in much better shape to go through this ordeal. Add to that the huge amount of support I have gotten from my friends and I'm determined to beat this thing!

Hey...life is like playing cards...you gotta play the hand you've been dealt.

Edited by terrysumner

I'm sure your treatments will work well, especially as you have such a positive outlook. I forget when my old dad was diagnosed, it's years ago and he's now 93.

peebeep

I had bladder cancer 7 years ago. Wasn't quite to my prostrate. I asked the

Dr why? He asked if I worked in a chemical factory, said no then he asked if

I smoked. I quit in 1990!!! He said that didn't matter, the 20 years I did did

the damage. Had tumor removed and it didn't eat into the bladder wall so far

so good. Keep up the good work and positive attitude, I refuse to die before I

spend my kid's inheritance and want that SSI I been paying in! I am 60 today,

still working and will beat this just as you will. I also did the Weight Watchers

thing, I used their chart and book to calculate my 27 points a day, but NOT their

food. I like doing things on MY terms!!! Hang in there, you are way to young to

call it quits!----John

I had colon cancer last year so know what you are going through both physically and mentally but with the help of friends, family and a damn good doctor I am cancer free and living life better than I did before. Keep the faith and I am sure you will get through this. Good luck.

Norm

I've received a bunch of messages and emails asking me if this is true. And since I'm not into keeping it a secret...yes it's true. I was diagnosed with advanced Prostate Cancer a couple of weeks ago. I've already been started on a Testosterone blocker pill to stop the production of the hormone, which feeds prostate cancer. I go to the hospital tomorrow for a bone scan and a CT scan. Then next week I see the oncologist to have the cancer graded and staged. Then get the plan of attack. Most likely this will be a few weeks of this blocker pill followed by a couple of months of radiation and chemo to shrink the prostate. Then surgery to remove it. The cancer has already spread a little to the surrounding tissue but they think that can be taken care of.

While it certainly sucks to get the news you have cancer, my urologist believes I will have an excellent prognosis down the road. I am 61 now and my father had this same thing when he was around my age. And he is 83 now and doing fine. It is indeed scary but I have great confidence in my Doctors. And I have lost 51 pounds now from Weight Watchers and working out every day so I'm in much better shape to go through this ordeal. Add to that the huge amount of support I have gotten from my friends and I'm determined to beat this thing!

My hopes are with you. Stay strong and do EVERYTHING they say. This obviously won't get better with time on its own so it's up to you to be pro-active.

Best of luck to you and your family, and keep your chin up.

-Oscar

You've got a great attitude walking into it, and it seems as though you're already in the correct mindset to conquer these things with your recent committment to change lifestyle with your weight loss. Stay optimistic, and thank you for keeping me humble today for the things I have. I always try to remember when I get sour about things that there's probably someone out there who's got it worse than me. It helps put things into perspective. Keep your head up, and march through this with confidence, and we'll certainly see you on the other side of it, healthy and in better shape than when you started. :salute:

Terry,

Really sad news.you know how I feel.

Keep positive .have that positive attitude you have and with the help of your physicians and family you will get through this.

You have ALL OF US praying for you and rooting for you to get well. :pray: :pray:

You can do this.you are in MY thoughts and prayers. :salute:

Thank you all for the kind and supportive comments. I didn't post this to get any attention but more to just let friends know who were wondering if the rumor was true. And yes I do have a good attitude and I WILL beat this thing! Thanks again!!!!

Well Terry with all of us pulling for you to win this battle ya can't lose; my prayers and best wishes are with you. ya know this is good and bad, the good cancer very beatable...the bad ARC has to put up with me for a while longer :woot.gif: . Yup with the new tech and discoveries the medicos are beating more and more types on a daily basis. I'd just like to say a BIG thank you to all those folks who donated/donate to the American Cancer society. Just so ya know they diagnosed my type as being advanced and aggressive, and we beat it so chin up and charge full speed ahead.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Sorry to hear you're having to go through this, and wishing you the best outcome on your treatment. Don't know if you have any pets, but hope you do. I know from personal experience that they can be a great stress reliever during tough times.

Good luck to you.

BW

Edited by billw

...Add to that the huge amount of support I have gotten from my friends and I'm determined to beat this thing!

That, sir, is the attitude to have, and you will definitely be in my thoughts as you fight...and WIN...this battle :thumbsup:

Never met you but you've been a fixture on ARC ever since I've been here. Very upsetting to hear this. I wish you all the best, keep a positive attitude and stay strong. You will beat this.

John

Terry, Lori and my prayers and thoughts are with you at this time.

Great news on the weight loss as well! I have recently lost close to 20kg on the Dukan diet and it feels great to be slim again.

I await my visit to the Urologist in a couple of weeks to see if high PSA readings I had are of concern.