Upcoming 1/72 MPM AH-1G/Q/S

You are also working on the modern AH-1W/AH-1Z Cobra?

I'm not usually the kind of person who accepts a gift and then asks for more, but I gotta say that a new tool AH-1W and AH-1Z would be perfect follow-on projects. Given the service history of these helicopters we really need modern kits in 1/72 scale!

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Looks great, if it comes out and builds as good as it looks, you will be print money. Scale it up to 1/48 or 1/35 and you could retire with riches.

I'm not usually the kind of person who accepts a gift and then asks for more, but I gotta say that a new tool AH-1W and AH-1Z would be perfect follow-on projects. Given the service history of these helicopters we really need modern kits in 1/72 scale!

If they are doing the work for a W, why not complete the series with a J and T.

• 3 weeks later...

<...> This sweet little chopper is supposed to be available during the Summer. <...>

It's just past midnight here in central Germany and it's still 20°C + and thunderstorms are going off all around us.

Is it summer yet? Is it summer yet? :woot.gif:

It's just past midnight here in central Germany and it's still 20°C + and thunderstorms are going off all around us.

Is it summer yet? Is it summer yet? :woot.gif:/>

Not right next door to you in the Netherlands, it bloody isn't. :(

Cheers,

Andre

Looks very nice and promising! If you get the correct rotor blades, 20mm gun, TOW tubes, chaff and flare launchers, and M158 going for an Israeli Tzefa, I,m all over it!

Having a NEW Cobra kit is a great idea, especially in "The One True Scale"! Now if SOMEONE would make a resin update set for the CH-46E/F to bring it up to snuff, I could possibly die and say "I've done it all!" :-)

BEAUTIFUL work, Petr!

WARDOG

Edited by Glynn Jacobs

Hi, thank you all for your kind comments.

Today I would like to show you some more details of our 3D design and you will be able to compare them with real-Cobra photos.

And we´ll start with the snake´s tail section:

Cobra_tail_port-side_zps39d452c8.jpg

Cobra_tail_stbd-side_zpscf26f1aa.jpg

Cobra_tail_port-side_real_zpse8f4e52b.jpg

Man, that Cobra looks nice. Can't wait to see it out for sale. Hey Peter, how about looking at introducing a UH-60 Black Hawk in 1/72 or better yet 1/48 or 1/35 scale? You would be king of the hill if you rolled out a nicely detailed Black Hawk in those scales. PLEEEASE look at doing this. We need a NEW detailed UH-60 with better detail.

Tim

WOW, that is looking amazing, im in for this model, absolutely. There is something you must be sharp, the G model has a normal Huey tail rotor, and the S model has the 212/412, UH-1N, Huey II, etc tail rotor; keep an eye on that.

Cant wait to build this bird.

Rod.

... the G model has a normal Huey tail rotor, and the S model has the 212/412, UH-1N, Huey II, etc tail rotor;

Correct, Rod. The renders of the tail show a correct-appearing hub for an AH-1G, but the proportions of the blades appear more like the larger blades on the AH-1S. Also, the renders show two pitot tubes; the angled one on the transmission doghouse is correct for the AH-1S. There are also some RWR antennas on the tail that should not be there on an AH-1G or AH-1Q. None of these issues are fatal flaws, but things for the modeler to be aware of if these area make it into the final product.

I think it is great we are getting a newly-tooled Cobra and I hope MPM churns out a whole lot of these kits!

Of some interest is also the covered main rotor shaft compartment:

Cobra_top_zps38c65c68.jpg

This cover was determined to not have any affect on aerodynamics and was quickly removed from the AH-1G in the field. You will find most aircraft (99-99.9%) don't have it. Museum aircraft have it to keep birds out of the area. Hopefully it is just a separate piece to be added or not. This is looking great. Can't wait to get my hands on all of them.

Floyd

Yeah, exactly as Joseph says, the chord of the G tail rotor blade looks too large, it looks like the S model blade, but the hub is the correct, keep an eye on that.

MPM, is it possible if you could make a UH-1D/H in 1/72?? I think a lot of people would like that.

Rod.

Yeah, exactly as Joseph says, the chord of the G tail rotor blade looks too large, it looks like the S model blade, but the hub is the correct, keep an eye on that.

MPM, is it possible if you could make a UH-1D/H in 1/72?? I think a lot of people would like that.

Rod.

In 1/35 or 1/32 please, no accurate kit exists.

To Rod, Joseph and Floyd - thank you very much for your comments and notes. It will help us while preparing the model instructions.

and as for the different tail rotors, yes, there are two in the model.

Edited by terrysumner