Upcoming 1/72 MPM AH-1G/Q/S

Here is the tail rotor from an AH-1G, the same as on the Huey. The chord is definitely smaller than the later tail rotor blades. Anybody know the chord length? By the way, chord is front to back distance. I'd be interested in knowing the length of these blades too.

Floyd

AH-1GTailRotor4_zps9885fb16.jpg

AH-1GTailRotor1_zpsde675b4a.jpg

AH-1GTailRotor3_zpsa1f054e7.jpg

Beautiful, wow, thank god i will not have to scratchbuild another 212/412 tail rotor, i will use this.. But, i see the chord is the same as the G and S models, in real life as Floyd explained the G model rotor blades is smaller in chord, try to fix that..

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Oh yeah, you just happen to have a tail rotor laying around? Where's the rest of the Cobra you smuggled home in the mail????

A two actually plus the crosshead. Missing the hardware to put it all together. Did I mention HUD, pilot seat, collective, cyclic, pedals, instrument panel and a few other 'items'? Just picked some things up.

Floyd

How did you come up with a cyclic? Those are suppose to be AIMI items, but then again, I have a OH-58 cyclic grip that I procured right before I got out, but you're a police officer so you didn't hear that from me.!!!!!!!! LOL Put all of that in your man cave and take some pics, they would be cool to see!

How did you come up with a cyclic? Those are suppose to be AIMI items, but then again, I have a OH-58 cyclic grip that I procured right before I got out, but you're a police officer so you didn't hear that from me.!!!!!!!! LOL Put all of that in your man cave and take some pics, they would be cool to see!

Well it involved crashing a Cobra and the Army told me I could take what I wanted from it because they were not going to rebuild her. So I had about two hours. Hence, seat and other things. If they gave me more time I'd have raped that helicopter of anything really cool. LOL I was happy with what I got. Somehow I missed the eight day clock or it got pinched before I could get to it. The tail rotor blades were taken by the crew that trucked it to the depot. I got mine other ways. LOL

Floyd

That's awesome! Man you pilots always did get to do cool things, but flea marketing a helo-FREE!!!! That's the top of the list if you ask me. I would love to have gotten a few cool toys from a Hawk, but wasn't as lucky as you to do that!

Floyd, excellent photos, thanks! Will be useful also for 48th scale model.

Whose smaller sister is making it into finish and the release date is quite near. Here is a couple of photos of the steel moulds.

Cobra01_zps17899e47.jpg

Cobra02_zps8e953edd.jpg

I have many more photos. Many include the tape measure. I was thinking of financing a 1/48t and 1/35th scale AH-1F Cobra myself once. Ahh, to dream.

Floyd

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, happy moment for us and perhaps also for Cobra-fans amongst you is finally here, the first test shot have just arrived.

fuselage and other common parts

AH-120GQ2001_zpsd38e8ed9.jpg

fuselage close up

AH-120GQ2004_zps1dd5c4ff.jpg

gun turrets

AH-120GQ2005_zps7cbda3cb.jpg

cockpit, side console details

AH-120GQ2003_zps245bc86b.jpg

interior parts, still with some flash, will get it corrected

AH-120GQ2002_zpse716d876.jpg

G version nose and air intakes with its prominent ribs

AH-120G2007_zps930e16f8.jpg

G tail rotor, different from the other version

AH-120G2009_zps8ace6199.jpg

G "late" additional armament frame

AH-120G2004_zps69231b47.jpg

again

AH-120G2003_zps4778be15.jpg

rocket launchers

AH-120G2002_zps7a29882e.jpg

rather fine details of the front and rear of the launchers

AH-120G2005_zpsfdb057d0.jpg

gun pods

AH-120G2006_zps0f6d30a4.jpg

G frame, some parts undershot, but these are only the first test shots that will get improved

AH-120G2001_zpse7e8f504.jpg

G version main-rotor hub details

AH-120G2008_zps48976ff4.jpg

Overall very nice. A little underwhelmed by the recessed rivets and it's representation at the bottom of the tail.

I know this is 1/72 but is there to any plans for cockpit decals or is it hand painted instruments?

How does everyone feel about the rocket launchers in general. I for one dislike having to paint the rocket heads in the launcher. I would be nice if the rocket heads where one piece and launcher face was another and I could insert them if I wanted too. Easier to paint and one could display the launchers empty a lot easier.

I think it looks great. I for one am very happy with the results. As far as the warheads go, paint them and then a wash of lamp black in the recesses will cover up all except the heavy handed painting. I think that tail rotor blade still looks a little big on the G but a little bit of sanding should bring it in IF it is big. The rivets are nice. I'll reserve judgement until I see them but they should do just nice. Great job. Really looking forward to seeing the finished projects. Keep up the great work. Now if you make this in 1/48 or 1/35 scale you would be making money.

Floyd

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

If you like, take a look at our another boxart, this is Spanish AH-1G Cobra, with its (olive coloured) M-35 armament system - cannon and its ammo boxes.

Please note also the adjoining side protection panels.

You can of course find them in our model, as a separate parts, and as you can see, thes panels fit on the fuselage with no problem and only a small ammount

of extra-thin cement is required.

AHSH72274_AH-1G20Cobra_Spanish20Marine_zpsa90a03f3.jpg

Side armour / protection plate

AHIMG_8571_zps4bba1f80.jpg

CAD shot

AHM-3520plechy_zps3575114c.jpg

Without the side protection

AHIMG_8570_zps71ddf645.jpg

• 2 months later...

I helped on this project, slightly, providing drawings and manuals. So I have high hopes for them. Wish they were in 1/48th or 1/35th scale though. LOL

Anyhow, in reference to the blades. Later models of the S could have been fitted with the Kaman K747 blades or the Bell B540 blades. The Iraeli aircraft have the K747 blades.

Floyd

I flew the first Q's through the Mod-S to the Prod S ECAS and they all had standard blades. The KAMAN blades were just starting to be fielded in 1980 at Ft. Campbell. I sure would have liked those blades on Q models!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...