North American F-107 in NASA colors

Hello All,

I am about to begin building Trumpeter's 1/72 F-107 and I am contemplating putting it in NASA colors. The photo references I have show that the "U.S. Air Force" was removed from the engine intakes. My question is did they also remove the "USAF" from the wings. The photos I could find only show the airplane from the side. Thanks.

Craig Maternowski

What photo do you have showing the Air Force titles on the intakes removed? The F-107 was, and remained a USAF aircraft when loaned to NASA, and every photo I have shows the regular USAF markings with a yellow NASA tail band added. I've never seen a photo that didn't have full USAF markings.

1368335692[/url]' post='2508216']

What photo do you have showing the Air Force titles on the intakes removed? The F-107 was, and remained a USAF aircraft when loaned to NASA, and every photo I have shows the regular USAF markings with a yellow NASA tail band added. I've never seen a photo that didn't have full USAF markings.

NASA F-107 without USAF title on intake

According to the Ginter book by William Simone, they just removed the U.S. AIR FORCE on the fuselage. On 55-5118, they also removed the serial number from the tail and added a 207 in it's place. In a high-res version of the linked photo, you can just make out the ends of the horizontal parts of the F on the wing. Simone's book has several shots of NASA F-107s, including a head-on shot where you can clearly see the USAF on the wing.

HTH.

Ben