What is Future called now?

I went out today to buy a bottle of Future, but what I found was pledge FloorCare multi-surface finish. The word "Future" isn't anywhere on the bottle, but it seems to be the same stuff. Is this the same stuff?

I went out today to buy a bottle of Future, but what I found was pledge FloorCare multi-surface finish. The word "Future" isn't anywhere on the bottle, but it seems to be the same stuff. Is this the same stuff?

Pledge FloorCare Multi-Surface Finish appears to be the same, or similar. It lists three film forming polymers as proprietary, and says it's an acrylic. The MSDS is no help.

I suspect, from what I was able to find out, that the product may have been reformulated, or it may only be another name change. I e-mailed them and asked, but who knows when or if they will respond.

Buy the smallest bottle you can find, try it, and let us know.

Here is the reply I received from SC Johnson:

The answer, Ross, is …

Pledge® Floor Care Multi Surface Finish is indeed the new name for Pledge® Premium Floor Finish with Future® Shine, and the formula didn't change at all.

The only other thing to add is that it's purchased exclusively in Walmart stores – or directly from us through our Mail Order service (800-848-2588, M-F, 8am-6pm CST).

Thanks for getting in touch, and for choosing Pledge®!

Karyn

Consumer Relationship Center

SC Johnson, A Family Company

Note that it is now only carried by WallyMart, but can be obtained directly from SC Johnson. Seems an odd marketing decision.

that is a bit weird,,,,,,in a period where companies are trying to increase product exposure, an established product starts being more limited in availability

if this helps,,,,,,anytime you see this UPC,,,it is the old Future, the new Future, the Pledge with Future shine, or the Pledge with the future all squeezed out it , lol,,,,,,,,46500 00182 (I have three different bottles, all with this same UPC)

I happened to buy this stuff "pledge FloorCare multi-surface finish" from amazon, and have been told that i was the same as pledge futureshine which is not mentioned on the bottle. pics are referred to as below:

8736721173_2ddf197847.jpg

8737842526_b34d39de78.jpg

Edited by frontpenny

Note that it is now only carried by WallyMart, but can be obtained directly from SC Johnson. Seems an odd marketing decision.

I just bought my bottle at a Marketbasket supermarket. I guess SC Johnson hasn't told them that they aren't selling it.

Everybody has a walmart in their area I would guess.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but here is a somewhat similar issue from the agricultural industry. Correct me if I'm wrong (been there before - just ask my better half), but I believe that a patent runs out after 7 years. There is a much used agricultural product (HINT: 1st word rhymes with "pound" and the second word rhymes with "pup") that had to change its chemical make-up, ever so slightly, to keep the name. Future may have had to do the same thing in reverse. Maybe they changed the wording of the product, ever so slightly, to keep the chemical make-up. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it's just me thinking out loud.

Edited by balls47

So, is 'Pledge Floor Care Wood Floor Finish with Future Shine' the same stuff ?

The UPC on the label is 46500 71857.

Keith

No. I was told by SCJ that one is formulated specifically for wood floors. I was told it has a faint brown or yellow tint.

Odd that the UPCs are identical. Of course, it could be the same product. I've used the old Future on wood floors and it was great. So I wonder. It would be just the sort of thing a marketing wonk would consider clever, and a "senior executive" would consider "brilliant." :gr_barf:/>

Edited by Triarius

http://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/tile-and-vinyl-floor-finish-with-future-shine.aspx

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Finish-With-Future-Shine-27-fl-oz/15136693?tv2=true&

Note the fine print: "Premium finish for beautiful shine and durable acrylic protection!" As far as I can tell this is exactly the same product we have used in the past; the one canopy I have dipped so far with the new bottle came out crystal clear (but see below).

They also make a separate product with a very similar name and packaging intended for wood floors. Again, the fine print: ""Premium finish for beautiful shine and durable protection!"

http://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/wood-floor-finish-with-future-shine.aspx

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Future-Wood-Floor-Cleaner/14894114?tv2=true&

DO NOT BUY IT! THE WOOD FLOOR VERSION IS NOT, REPEAT, NOT AN ACRYLIC BASED PRODUCT! I suspect the people who have had issues with future not curing picked this stuff up by mistake. (see below)

IMPORTANT!

Note that there are some modelers around the web who have reported problems using the stuff in the new packaging as a gloss coat.

"The problems start when you try to use in the decaling process. It just doesn't cure like the old stuff and turns into messy goo when hit with setting solutions....and its not a time thing either because I've let it cure for days on end in the past with the same results. Its probably one little chemical change, something added here or taken out there, that altered its ability to be useful to modelers. Again, some people have had success with it but I have moved on to Alclad II clear coat which is fantastic for this purpose."

I cannot confirm or deny any of this because I have yet to use my new bottle for this purpose (I did dip a canopy, it came out just fine), but forewarned is forearmed.

Edited by gocoogs

If I want to clean the future in the paint cup, should I use Windex? was it effective to remove the future from airbrush. if so, there are some sub-brands of Windex in amazon, which one should I choose?

In the North America it's now called Pledge with Future shine.......

FutureFloorPolish_zpsb60d95fa.jpg

In some other countries (Australia IIRC) it's called Klear....

future_zps9e09f8ed.jpg

Also here is the latest edition of "The Complete Future" from Swanny's Model (Scott Swan).........

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Edited by OldThudMan

If I want to clean the future in the paint cup, should I use Windex? was it effective to remove the future from airbrush. if so, there are some sub-brands of Windex in amazon, which one should I choose?

Any window cleaner that contains alcohol and ammonia. I use Ace Hardware's window cleaner with ammonia.

In the North America it's now called Pledge with Future shine.......

FutureFloorPolish_zpsb60d95fa.jpg

In some other countries (Australia IIRC) it's called Klear....

future_zps9e09f8ed.jpg

Also here is the latest edition of "The Complete Future" from Swanny's Model (Scott Swan).........

http://www.swannysmo...leteFuture.html

It is no longer called by this name in the US. Please see earlier post in thread.