Italeri 1/32 F-104 preview

The second big drawing shows an F-104S with the added ventral fins. I hope they include the S's hinged aux air inlets...

I can't be certain, but assuming that the different colors used in the CAD rendering correspond to different sprues in the final layout (per usual practice in CAD kit design); it appears that the intakes are on the same sprue as a few other parts that vary from variant to variant (such as the cannon fairing and landing gear well doors). This leads me to believe that they will do a separate F-104S intake part along with the faired-over cannon port, etc.

Edited by KursadA

I'm not a 1/32nd guy at all, but: me wants.

Yea, same! I'm getting some earplugs too -the sound of 1/32 cherries popping could result in noise-induced hearing loss with this honey...

Huge thanks to KursadA for the link.

If there is a god in heaven, PLEASE dispense with the rows of rivets around the back end of the fuselage!!! Hasegawa ruined their otherwise gorgeous 1/48 (and 1/72) kits of the Eiko with them. Especially for a/c with natural metal back there, you simply do NOT see rows of rivets on a real 104. Even up close. Even Mr. Sulc would have to agree.

Anyone know if it comes with the correct gear doors and IP for a CF-104? RWR sensors maybe?

The illustrations for the RCAF+3 CF-104 don't make any sense. The RCAF never flew 104G's and there are a bunch of accuracy issues with it (wrong number style, flags out of proportion, gun port is open, just to name a few off the top of my head). Guess that just means I'll sell a whack more of my existing sheets.

I see at least one of these in my future... and hopefully I can talk Fisher into doing a 1/32 NF-104 conversion so I can do a true rocket powered machine (which should be a little easier to pull off with Italeri providing a Lockheed C-2 ejection seat with the kit, so more time can be devoted to doing the other things required in the conversion).

Anyone know if it comes with the correct gear doors and IP for a CF-104? RWR sensors maybe?

The illustrations for the RCAF+3 CF-104 don't make any sense. The RCAF never flew 104G's and there are a bunch of accuracy issues with it (wrong number style, flags out of proportion, gun port is open, just to name a few off the top of my head). Guess that just means I'll sell a whack more of my existing sheets.

Hopefully it will have the correct gear doors & skinny wheels as options, they were on early-production G's as well (including the Canadair-produced ones) although the G's got pretty much universally upgraded in service to the fat wheels.

I'd suspect there won't be a CF-104 panel though. If they did do one, a blanked off gun port would be another nice addition for a nuke-era CF-104

Edited by mawz

I see at least one of these in my future... and hopefully I can talk Fisher into doing a 1/32 NF-104 conversion so I can do a true rocket powered machine (which should be a little easier to pull off with Italeri providing a Lockheed C-2 ejection seat with the kit, so more time can be devoted to doing the other things required in the conversion).

I started on a NF-104 conversion on a Revell Starfighter years ago. It is not that difficult. I stopped my work at some point as I started wondering if I should not better switch to Hasegawa - then some years ago I heard Italeri will release one - since then I wait for this to arrive. Maybe Italeri is doing it together with Tamiya? And either one will release different versions???

Well, while I doubt Tamiya is helping with development of Italeri's kit (it is a Chinese firm cutting the molds from what I understand, possibly Kinetic), it would not at all surprise me if Tamiya did do a reboxing of the kit for the Japanese market with JASDF decals. Since it looks like the kit may have a couple unique F-104J parts... why not?

Well, while I doubt Tamiya is helping with development of Italeri's kit (it is a Chinese firm cutting the molds from what I understand, possibly Kinetic), it would not at all surprise me if Tamiya did do a reboxing of the kit for the Japanese market with JASDF decals. Since it looks like the kit may have a couple unique F-104J parts... why not?

Tamiya is already reboxing Italeri kits for the Japanese market, after all.

Cheers,

Andre

Hmm, if we've got the right bits to do both an F-104J and an F-104G in the box, that means everything but pylons, weapons & the IP will be correct for a CF-104 as well as the J has the non-bulged gear doors & skinny wheels (and IIRC the C2 seat).

I'm sure Belcher Bits will happily scale their CF-104 weapons set up to 1/32 for this one.