Looking For 1/72 T-90 Kit & Aftermarket Information

Like they say, the title is all you need.

I figure a little tank build will give my modelling a shot in the right place; I love working in 1/72 and this subject has just the right kind of, what can I say, 'TOTALLY HARD B*STARD' look that appeals!

I read a little about the ACE kit (yeah... :wacko:/>/> ), there seems to be a Revell effort too. The only aftermarket enhancements I've found are a metal barrel (RB) and etched tracks (ACE again).

However, this article would suggest there is more around...

Many thanks for any opinions and/or information.

Edited by ChippyWho

There's a brand spanking new kit from an odd company named Modelcollect - It's still up for a pre-order at Luckymodel, but if the TOS-1 kit they have is any indication, it is NOT and I repeat NOT a copy/repop of the ACE kit. I Have the ACE Kit, in progress, and the layout is completely different. I haven't seen the Revell model, so I can't vouch as to if there's any commonality in the construction there. That article Does suggest there is more in the brass market for details, but I can't help you there. I'm not entirely sure as to how good ACE's etched tracks are, I didn't buy them.

The ACE kit is what most would call a short-run, and comprised of a couple of upgrade sprues on the T-72 kit they produced, similar to the TOS-1 kit they made too.

Thanks lots for your response, Sir. Modelcollect -aren't they die-cast/ready-mades? As you can tell, I'm at the bottom end of the curve with this stuff! :dontknow:/>

Stop Press: I stand corrected -found an article about the Modelcollect KIT on miniafv site! This is getting complicated...

Edited by ChippyWho

yeah, the kit looks quite interesting, and the parts layout suggests that they have plans for the T-72 hull in all its variations. Like I said, the layout is not like the ACE kit, but I can't tell its relevance to the Revell kit for design.

I don't know when the Revell T-90 will be released, but I saw a test shot and a model built from the test shot at a German modelling show a couple of weeks ago. Looked very nice. No idea whether it will be any better than the Modelcollect effort, though. The Revell kit will have a link-and-length track (which I, personally, like better than the flexible rubber tracks).

On top of the Modelcollect and Revell kits, Zvezda will also release a T-90 in 1/72 of their own. When it rains, it pours. :lol:

It's pretty clear that the Revell T-72 looks a lot like the ACE kit, though they seem to have made a few modifications, like the Glacis plate, which suggests they might have bought the masters from ACE and modified them... that layout looks a LOT like the ACE kit. I wonder if they'll have you remove the forward track covers on the T-90, and have the forward turret modifications to upgrade it to the T-90 like the ACE kit.

There's a brand spanking new kit from an odd company named Modelcollect - It's still up for a pre-order at Luckymodel, but if the TOS-1 kit they have is any indication, it is NOT and I repeat NOT a copy/repop of the ACE kit. I Have the ACE Kit, in progress, and the layout is completely different. I haven't seen the Revell model, so I can't vouch as to if there's any commonality in the construction there. That article Does suggest there is more in the brass market for details, but I can't help you there. I'm not entirely sure as to how good ACE's etched tracks are, I didn't buy them.

The ACE kit is what most would call a short-run, and comprised of a couple of upgrade sprues on the T-72 kit they produced, similar to the TOS-1 kit they made too.

I received one of these not so long ago via eBay, unboxed for AU$12 (free postage). The seller supplies PDF instructions.

It is a nice kit. DS style tracks, PE and lots of nicely moulded parts. Well worth an investment.

Rather than me take pics etc, here is a build review :)

Edited by madmike

<...> ooh do you have any photos of the revell t-90 prototype? <...>

No, sorry. :( I knew about the lighting conditions in the hall beforehand and that my little point'n'shoot camera would suck under those conditions (tried it the two years before and failed) so I didn't bother to take along.

It's pretty clear that the Revell T-72 looks a lot like the ACE kit, though they seem to have made a few modifications, like the Glacis plate, which suggests they might have bought the masters from ACE and modified them... that layout looks a LOT like the ACE kit. I wonder if they'll have you remove the forward track covers on the T-90, and have the forward turret modifications to upgrade it to the T-90 like the ACE kit.

There's only so many ways to skin a cat, I guess. Meaning the layout would be similar. The detail, however, makes me think there are no "family ties" between the Revell and the ACE T-72.

The Revell T-90 looks to be from completely new moulds, not related to any other kit.

I received one of these not so long ago via eBay, unboxed for AU$12 (free postage). The seller supplies PDF instructions.

It is a nice kit. DS style tracks, PE and lots of nicely moulded parts. Well worth an investment.

Rather than me take pics etc, here is a build review :)/>

Mucho thanks, Sir! I think that's the same review as the miniafv one (Erhan). It looks like a good investment to me; I could stick around for the Zvezda shot but for the outlay, getting the MC one anyway seems like a plan.