I am not quite knowledgeable enough with Battlestar Galactica techno stuff but I like the look of the early Vipers in the show Caprica. I see someplaces on-line that they are refered to as the MK-1s and others say they are not. Well it is ok, because I am not building one of those. That would entail a lot of research and I am to lazy for that. What I am going to do is make an early version of that, maybe a predecessor in flight testing.

I will be using these two kits, both have been in my stash for a long time.

ViperPrototypeboxF-18E_zpsec52b20c.jpg

ViperPrototypeboxP-40E_zpsbce06ce5.jpg

Here it is knocked together after some time with the razor saw. It will give you an idea of where I am going with it.

ViperPrototype01_zpsbe574124.jpg

ViperPrototype04_zpsfc70ef74.jpg

ViperPrototype02_zpsddaea99f.jpg

The bottom was also chopped to move the nose landing gear back.

ViperPrototype03_zps2bef0ee9.jpg

I was really hoping to see a lot of new vehicles in the Caprica show but it turned out to be something quite a bit different than I was expecting. Too bad...

Els

Kit-bashes are not uncommon in Whifworld, but the combination of these two, a P-40 and a Super Hornet, that DOES stand out! :woot.gif:/> Wicked project! :thumbsup:/>

Couldn`t agree more. good luck :cheers:

Thanks. I hope it comes out looking as cool in reality as it does in my imagination.

I worked on the cockpit for a while

I don't use a lot of photoetch because I usually pose my aircraft kits in flight and by the time you put a pilot in the seat and close the canopy you can barely see all the added work that you did. When I opened up the F-18 kit I found a set of photoetch and some aftermarket decals. I must have bought them along time ago and just put them in the box. So I decided to use the photetch for the seat. This will be a mixture of old/new technology.

ViperPrototype06_zps7a112a45.jpg

ViperPrototype07_zps07a291bc.jpg

I had to do a little more sanding to get it to fit into the P-40. I will clean it up before installing it.

ViperPrototype08_zps6c51ec43.jpg

Next I will try to fit the P-40 to the F-18.

Els

Piko, that is way to much work.

I actually got quite a bit done today.

I finished up the nose section, smoothed out where the props would have been

ViperPrototype10_zpsb2afd087.jpg

The nose landing gear bay was moved back and reinforced with scraps and puttied in.

ViperPrototype11_zps2ff1b704.jpg

ViperPrototype12_zpsb8bd6915.jpg

The nose was attached for the second time...yes, second time. After I put it in the first time, I noticed that I had forgot to install the cockpit so I had to rip the whole thing back out and start again. Thats a couple hours I won't get back. Sprue and plastic stock was glued around to reinforce.

ViperPrototype13_zpscdcd6e54.jpg

ViperPrototype16_zps5a5f1339.jpg

And the new dorsal spine was started. The inital round of putty was added.

ViperPrototype17_zps401c450d.jpg

Els

Komoras,

Usually for this part I would use Aves or Milliput but I am all out so I am just slathering on a few layers of Squadron white putty. Hopefully it is strong enough to take the stress of sanding without cracking.

Els

I had a little bit of time to work on this today. I chopped down the centerline fuel tank so that it would fit with the new location of the nose gear. As you can see, a lot was chopped out of it and it is pretty small now. After some putty it will be OK.

ViperPrototype18_zpsb4a1a475.jpg

Since this will be a test and evaluation aircraft I am going to model it as if it is going to do a missile test. I scratched up some camera's for the wing tip to film the missile as it is fired.

ViperPrototype19_zpsca78bea5.jpg

ViperPrototype21_zps0cf014d3.jpg

Hopefully it will look alright once painted up.

Els

After 5 rounds of puttying/sanding, I am starting to get it to the shape that I want.

ViperPrototype25_zpsfad1b7a4.jpg

Here is a side view with one of the vert stabs on so that you can see the profile I am trying to achieve.

ViperPrototype26_zps7304f136.jpg

I have also base painted the missile that is going to be tested. Since I do not know what a Caprican test missle looks like I just used a kit missle and the Mythbusters paint method.

ViperPrototype27_zpsf85956e6.jpg

ViperPrototype28_zpseaf0c12c.jpg

After a few touch-ups and some decals it should be good enough.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Els

Hello all,

It probably doesn't look like a lot has been done, but there have been many rounds of puttying and sanding. I have dropped the flaps and ailerons or whatever they are called. I took the simple rout and just cut them, sanded them, and added a bit of round tubing.

ViperPrototype29_zps6466baca.jpg

ViperPrototype30_zpsbc0afb4d.jpg

I am ready to start painting I think.

Els

Paint is on and so is the wash.

ViperPrototype32_zps1ef0129a.jpg

All the wash is off and it is ready for decals, too bad my printer that I have had for about 7 years has finally died.

ViperPrototype33_zps1147b627.jpg

I have raided my leftover decals stash for everything that looked testerly but I still need something that is Caprican. I guess it is time to buy another printer. Since that may take a little while I guess I will be able to work on my entry for the Phantom group build.

Els

I decided not to wait for a new printer and just went ahead and used what decals I could scavange. It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped but it is done. I found quite a few rough spots that I should have resanded after I put the wash on but I am ready to move on to the next build and am happy to leave it as a good three footer. There are some BSG decals that I scavanged from a Viper kit and the rest of the decals I tried to make as testerly as possible. I like the shape of it. I will post more pictures in the completed thread.

ViperPrototype40_zps98a59449.jpg

Thanks for following along, let me know what you think.

Els

• 2 weeks later...