Saw Star Trek 'Into Darkness' last nite

I thought it was great, you know I didn't notice the lens flare as much as the first movie. Maybe because I saw this one in 3D? Bash me if you must but I like this version/universe of Trek. And no I'm not new to Trek, Ive watched everything from TOS to Enterprise and all the movies...

While not a lot of space battles the scenery and CG is great!

Edited by camaroz06

I thought it was great, you know I didn't notice the lens flare as much as the first movie. Maybe because I saw this one in 3D? Bash me if you must but I like this version/universe of Trek. And no I'm not new to Trek, Ive watched everything from TOS to Enterprise and all the movies...

While not a lot of space battles the scenery and CG is great!

I´m with you, I haven´t seen "Into Darkness" yet but I like the reboot... No point making TOS again, something new was needed to the franchise and a bit less science and more people and action is what the doctor ordered.

It´s at the top of the cinema charts here in Sweden and I can´t remember ANY Star Trek movie up there before. A wider audiece might just bring back a Star Trek series to the small screen again .... :pray:

I had a problem with the last movie changing the lore, but this movie was pretty good in my view. There was still not enough Starship action and that f%ckin boat throttle has got to go.

I just wanna know one thing....do they crash the Enterprise or not? I hope so, because I hate the design of that birth defect deformed, retarded looking excuse for a starship. They could have done so much better. This is supposed to be an improvement?

Star+Trek+Consititution+class+comparison.jpg

Instead something more along the lines of this...

Enterprise-flies.jpg

new-old-enterprise.jpg

Agree about the boat throttle. What the heck are they thinking with that gimmick?

I delayed watching the first AbramsTrek until I was desperately bored and had watched all the other interesting movies available on my flight back from France like 4 years ago. If I hadn't been stuck on the plane and otherwise bored to tears, I'd have left. The trailer of the new one was enough for me to decide that no, I have no desire to see this, even for free. (Full disclosure, I haven't really liked *any* of the movies since ST:VI).

That said, if others like it, cool. I love Trek but I'm not one of those who are going to moan about this or that or other people's opinions.

And, too, I'm of the opinion that if these new movies will turn new people onto the franchise, who will then get curious and check out the previous series, maybe we'll have new fans of TOS and TNG and DS9 and of Gene's vision in general, which is a good thing, right? :)

My concern going to see the movie this weekend is the risk that JJ has emphasized action and CGI over story. Watching the trailers all I see is explosions and come away with no idea what the movie is actually about. When Star Trek is at its best there's a meaningful and compelling story on which any action is built (and some of the best episodes of TNG and DS9 had little or no action).

I'm nervous. :huh:

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

That said, if others like it, cool. I love Trek but I'm not one of those who are going to moan about this or that or other people's opinions.

And, too, I'm of the opinion that if these new movies will turn new people onto the franchise, who will then get curious and check out the previous series, maybe we'll have new fans of TOS and TNG and DS9 and of Gene's vision in general, which is a good thing, right? smile.gif

I hear ya, but I am into hardware. The ship has always been the star of the show for me and not just a plot device to get our heroes around the galaxy. As far as the rest if it......continuity and tradition are important. But I recognize that classic Trek is probably not marketable to today's movie going demographic.

You are right about the second part of it. If it gets young folks into the theater, and then, as they get older and more mature, they decide to go back an explore how it all started, it is a positive thing overall.

My concern going to see the movie this weekend is the risk that JJ has emphasized action and CGI over story. Watching the trailers all I see is explosions and come away with no idea what the movie is actually about. When Star Trek is at its best there's a meaningful and compelling story on which any action is built (and some of the best episodes of TNG and DS9 had little or no action).

I'm nervous. huh.gif

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

So true. But the reality is that contemporary audiences prefer action over good writing, especially in the science fiction genre. Classic Trek has never appealed to a general audience anyway....now less so than ever. It has always been the passionate intellectuals/nerds that kept it going.

I'm with the Good Sergeant there - for me, it's the story that matters, much, much more than the ships or action (though I *did* love the epic space battle scenes in DS9!), because it's the heart of Gene's vision that really is what got my attention and held it. Without that, it'd just be Any Random Soft SF.

I'm nervous. :huh:/>/>

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

what you see is pretty much what you get, its a.....

911 allegory

:tumble:

But the reality is that contemporary audiences prefer action over good writing, especially in the science fiction genre.

But maybe that's because that's all they're being given?

What was the last hard SF movie released? What was the last well-written, not-action-heavy soft SF movie released?

But maybe that's because that's all they're being given?

What was the last hard SF movie released? What was the last well-written, not-action-heavy soft SF movie released?

I hear ya!

the only two 'sci-fi' movies I can remember that were not set on earth were; Prometheus and avatar....... :blink:/>

*oh sunshine which i enjoyed - the horror angle diddnt work for me until i watched the commentary track

Edited by Raymond

what you see is pretty much what you get, its a.....

911 allegory

:tumble:/>

Your allegory is not even close........

In the movie, "John Harrison" had some reason for his attacks on Starfleet. There was no justification for the 911 attack. It's offensive to the people who died on 9/11 to suggest otherwise.

I just got back from seeing it today. I will say that while there is action in it, there IS a story and character development in it and a few rather interesting twists and turns. There is even the moral in there... something that made Star Trek what it was and different from other space opera at the time (and it does tie into 9/11 as there was even a tribute in the credits). Only real flaws I could see weren't so much with action and CGI over substance were a few glossed over items where physics seemed to take a bit too much of a back seat. But at the same time, I suppose that is to be somewhat expected for an over two hour movie. In the end though, at its core it did still feel like Star Trek.

The reboot STs just have a 'Meh ...' feel for me ... I like most of the casting with the exception of Kirk ... The 'New' Enterprise looks more like a Hot Rod rather than a ship that is a part of a Fleet ... I seem to like Abrams TV efforts better than his cinema endeavors ... I guess that doesn't bode well for SW for me then .. Like the 2009 movie, I'll wait for the home video release ...

-Gregg

I just wanna know one thing....do they crash the Enterprise or not? I hope so, because I hate the design of that birth defect deformed, retarded looking excuse for a starship. They could have done so much better. This is supposed to be an improvement?

Star+Trek+Consititution+class+comparison.jpg

The new Enterprise looks more like an art deco hood ornament than a functional starship.

Saw it last night,

Imax 3D. well worth the $17 ticket.

Omg

Ill wait till it comes out on DVD and buy the movie to watch hundreds of times with hundreds of people for 15$.

Edited by Bigasshammm

Your allegory is not even close........

In the movie, "John Harrison" had some reason for his attacks on Starfleet. There was no justification for the 911 attack. It's offensive to the people who died on 9/11 to suggest otherwise.

ignoring degressing the conversation into justifications etc, the allegory is hardly confined to my own opinion, many a reviewer has noticed it, heck, the film was dedicated to post-9/11 veterans by Abrams with the note in the credits:

"THIS FILM IS DEDICATED TO OUR POST-9/11 VETERANS

WITH GRATITUDE FOR THEIR INSPIRED SERVICE ABROAD

AND CONTINUED LEADERSHIP AT HOME."

Link

one may disagree, but it is something i did note with the tone of the film when watching it.

it diddnt bother me, although my personal preference is that sci-fi is at its best when it reflects on the human condition (which is more time/ageless) rather than a set period in time (thinking of how dated 2010 feels now, when you forget the context in which it was made)

your more than welcome to disagree with me; but I did have an "ahhh" moment when watching the credits, that may prove relevant for those looking to know more about the film in its tone and structure. take it or leave it, watch the film, see what you think :)/>/>

Omg

Ill wait till it comes out on DVD and buy the movie to watch hundreds of times with hundreds of people for 15$.

for me the $17 was worth it.

My wife gave me the evening of, I when to the movies by myself after work, got some popcorn and a soda, It was be and like 10 other people in a huge imax theater.

If you've never seen a movie in IMax, don't do it! you will never be able to look at a movie the same way again.

BTW DVD? at least get the blue-ray =)