Saw Star Trek 'Into Darkness' last nite

for me the $17 was worth it.

My wife gave me the evening of, I when to the movies by myself after work, got some popcorn and a soda, It was be and like 10 other people in a huge imax theater.

If you've never seen a movie in IMax, don't do it! you will never be able to look at a movie the same way again.

Dude I totally identify! Same with me, getting away and escaping into another universe for a couple of hours is well worth the price of admission.

Just got back from seeing it

AWESOME

Best movie I've seen in a long while. Better than Iron Man 3? YES

My inner geek got all tingly with the plot progression. You felt where the movie had to go, but it left plenty surprises as well.

Edited by toadwbg

How were there any surprises, it had one of the biggest "Spoils" made pre-release ...?

-Gregg

I had heard of the major spoiler just days ago, but that didn't ruin anything for me. It's about the Journey, not the destination.

The very great many in this film outweighed the few. So much good that I can't do a Good, Bad, and Ugly review.

Question: So why did Dr Marcus have to take her clothes off in the shuttle? Not complaining mind you :rolleyes: , just wondering what plot point I missed?

Edited by toadwbg

Question: So why did Dr Marcus have to take her clothes off in the shuttle? Not complaining mind you :rolleyes:/> , just wondering what plot point I missed?

So finally some nudity in a Trek movie? :rolleyes: I guess it had to happen eventually. (Not that I have any issue with nudity, but that was one of the cool things about Trek, it never had to resort to that as an attraction...)

So finally some nudity in a Trek movie? :rolleyes:/> I guess it had to happen eventually. (Not that I have any issue with nudity, but that was one of the cool things about Trek, it never had to resort to that as an attraction...)

!She doesn't get all naked, just down to her skivvies. At ease.

I had heard of the major spoiler just days ago, but that didn't ruin anything for me. It's about the Journey, not the destination.

The very great many in this film outweighed the few. So much good that I can't do a Good, Bad, and Ugly review.

Question: So why did Dr Marcus have to take her clothes off in the shuttle? Not complaining mind you :rolleyes:/> , just wondering what plot point I missed?

I agree, best movie in a long time.

I am a huge Trek fan, I thought they got the dialogue and demeanor down perfect in this film.

More movie questions:

- why transwarp teleport to Klingon Homeworld of Kronos?

- Why save /free Kirk and shuttle crew from Klingons?

As I write this it may have become clear this was Bad Guys ploy all along to get Federation to bring his crew and bargain with them and/or draw Admiral Buckaroo Banzai out into the field in a game of chess where he was confident of outmaneuvering everyone. Which he did until Spock intervened with some "future" help. Scotty was another wild card.

Why establish a whole new tangent in the 2009 movie and then fall back on using the most influential villain of the original movies ?

-Gregg

Why not go see it and find out? If you havnt seen it or are not going to, logic dictates your criticisms invalid....

I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The throwback scenes were both funny and annoying at the same time. For new ST fans, though, they wouldn't have gotten it. I liked the role reversals of Kirk and Spock from the original movie series. Overall, it was extremely entertaining and sets up their 5 year mission quite nicely. I hope they do more with the Klingons. They looked awesome!

Hoping for more Klingons as well in the next installment. I wasn't sure what we'd find under those helmets.

There's some buzz out there about Trek getting the Game of Thrones treatment with a cable series. This would include a different ship/crew with cameos from the Enterprise. Basically covering a different ship's 5-year mission. This would allow the JJ Abrams Trek to be better fleshed out, outside the films.

Anyone note the reference to the USS Bradbury in the film ?

Edited by toadwbg

More movie questions:

- why transwarp teleport to Klingon Homeworld of Kronos?

- Why save /free Kirk and shuttle crew from Klingons?

As I write this it may have become clear this was Bad Guys ploy all along to get Federation to bring his crew and bargain with them and/or draw Admiral Buckaroo Banzai out into the field in a game of chess where he was confident of outmaneuvering everyone. Which he did until Spock intervened with some "future" help. Scotty was another wild card.

Found some answers that I simply overlooked:

-Because the Klingons aren't on friendly terms with the Federation. They wouldn't lift a finger to deal with a Federation problem.

-If Kirk and the away team were killed, Sulu was going to kill Khan's family by firing those "special" weapons. Khan thought Sulu would actually do it.

Found some answers that I simply overlooked:

-Because the Klingons aren't on friendly terms with the Federation. They wouldn't lift a finger to deal with a Federation problem.

-If Kirk and the away team were killed, Sulu was going to kill Khan's family by firing those "special" weapons. Khan thought Sulu would actually do it.

One of my favorite lines in the movie: Bones to Sulu after he gives his ultimatum to Khan - "Remind me never to p**s you off!"

Edited by Darren Roberts

My wife took me to see it yesterday for my birthday and we both loved every minute of it. She said she can tell when a movie is good when she actually cries during a very emotional scene lol. I enjoyed the morality of actions that it brought up as well. I really didn't even notice the lens flare that people have been complaining about either. A great movie to see on the big screen.

Saw it last night and was impressed overall. Still think the ship design sucks, but I am gradually coming around to the characters (who are far too young for the responsibility they have), and some of the revisionist history they are doing. I have to say I was TOTALLY shocked by who the villain actually turned out to be, as that had been previously speculated and supposedly debunked.

Saw it last night and was impressed overall. Still think the ship design sucks, but I am gradually coming around to the characters (who are far too young for the responsibility they have), and some of the revisionist history they are doing. I have to say I was TOTALLY shocked by who the villain actually turned out to be, as that had been previously speculated and supposedly debunked.

I agree with you on the ship design. My favorite will still be the 1701-A. I did some checking and most of the actors are fairly close to the same age as the original cast when the show first aired. Not exactly but usually within a few years.

I saw it last night and I have mixed feelings.

- The tech of the 3D isn't there yet. For whatever reasons, for the fast action sequences the 3D seems to get blurry trying to keep up. I noticed this with The Hobbit as well. When the camera has to move quickly, the 3D effect seems to be very blurry can doesn't seem like it can keep up. But when you watch the same movie in standard 2D, the picture is clean and sharp.

- I will never like that Enterprise. That is just a horrible, horrible mess. How is it that the warp core for the Phoenix fit inside the diameter of an ICBM, yet this one is the size of a shopping centre? The whole Apple Store...err, I mean bridge is just horrible.

- Enterprise is submersible??? Seriously. They completely lost me at that point. I just about got up and left but figured I'd spent $20 already so might as well enjoy the air conditioning.

- I did actually like the character flip. Given that this is an altered time line it did make sense.

- I will never accept Spock and Uhura.

- Kirk is too young to be Captain. I spent a lot of time in the Navy and never once saw an ensign become captain in the space of an afternoon. A lot of Kirk's growing up took place on the Republic and Farragut. Without that background you'd end up with a completely different person.

That being said (film quote intended), once you forget the fact that this isn't Star Trek, it's a fun movie. I thought it had far more of a plot than the first one, a little closer to the source material at least. At least you had a bit of a story to follow.

Edited by RiderFan

Well, since the spoiler bubble has already been popped....

The Kronus thing made more sense to me than.....

How did Scotty get on that ship? Did they expect that no one would know the location, so they didn't bother to even have any sensors to look for any authorized craft coming in, much less any security to keep unauthorized people off the ship? Also, in the Enterprise design, it appears that a lot of the space (especially the saucer section) is devoted to living spaces for it's crew. The "new" Enterprise is much larger than the old one, and has a corresponding larger crew. Yet the Dreadnought is very much larger, but is said to have a very small crew. So what's filling all of the space on the Dreadnought? I get likely extra weapons, armor, and shield generators, but it still seems very large considering the small crew size. Is it just full of creamy nougat goodness?

I saw it last night and I have mixed feelings.

- The tech of the 3D isn't there yet. For whatever reasons, for the fast action sequences the 3D seems to get blurry trying to keep up. I noticed this with The Hobbit as well. When the camera has to move quickly, the 3D effect seems to be very blurry can doesn't seem like it can keep up. But when you watch the same movie in standard 2D, the picture is clean and sharp.

- I will never like that Enterprise. That is just a horrible, horrible mess. How is it that the warp core for the Phoenix fit inside the diameter of an ICBM, yet this one is the size of a shopping centre? The whole Apple Store...err, I mean bridge is just horrible.

- Enterprise is submersible??? Seriously. They completely lost me at that point. I just about got up and left but figured I'd spent $20 already so might as well enjoy the air conditioning.

- I did actually like the character flip. Given that this is an altered time line it did make sense.

- I will never accept Spock and Uhura.

- Kirk is too young to be Captain. I spent a lot of time in the Navy and never once saw an ensign become captain in the space of an afternoon. A lot of Kirk's growing up took place on the Republic and Farragut. Without that background you'd end up with a completely different person.

That being said (film quote intended), once you forget the fact that this isn't Star Trek, it's a fun movie. I thought it had far more of a plot than the first one, a little closer to the source material at least. At least you had a bit of a story to follow.

The 2D was excellent. Very sharp and bright.

I have to agree with you on the Enterprise design. I was hoping they would kill it off like they have done in previous movies and get a better design. The biggest thing for me is the warp nacelles are too close together. If they were angled further apart, it might make a difference.

I actually thought it was kind of cool that it was submersible. Not to try and get too realistic with Sci-Fi, but water isn't any different an environment than space. Astronauts routinely train in large swimming pools in their space suits.

I thoroughly enjoyed the characters, with the exception of your next bullet point.

The whole Spock/Uhura relationship is just stupid, although it did provide some good dialogue laughs when they are having their "discussion" on the shuttle.

The beauty of the reboot is that Kirk is now being molded by what's happening to him now. All of his time on the Republic and Farragut is moot. Same for all the other characters. Whatever one thinks of how JJ Abrams is handling the franchise, his reboot idea was pure genius.