Close call in tank - Syrian Rebels

Should be mandatory viewing to all newbie tank crewman on the importance of selecting a good hull-down firing position.

I don't think they were very well-trained. Al Quaeda doesn't really have an armor school, so most of their learning probably comes the hard way - trial and error. This crew gets to fight another day, doubtless a bit wiser for their close call.

I don't think they were very well-trained. Al Quaeda doesn't really have an armor school, so most of their learning probably comes the hard way - trial and error. This crew gets to fight another day, doubtless a bit wiser for their close call.

This is Al Quaeda? And for the record they do have schools.

Really, they have armor schools, as in how to drive, fight, and protect a tank from counterfire? Or do they just have schools in how to destroy tanks, which isn't the same thing.

Its not Fort Irwin, but yes al queada does train its people on tanks. Training like NTC? no. Training like how to operate the tank, and the best way to survive in a tank? Yes. very rudementary training, but training none the less. They aren't stupid. We have trained plenty of them as well, in fact we taught some of them how to fly. I have no doubt that they send their people to other nations as well to learn all kinds of warfare including armor, both openly and secretly. I'm guessing the syrian army has also trained a fair share of people who became rebels. This is again, assuming this tank is even al queada.

Its not hard to be stupid in a tank, even with dedicated training.

Tankflip.jpg

this one is pretty scary. anyone know what kind of rocket that is near the end?

I am surprised about the total lack of infantry support

that hit the t-72? probably metis or kornet

* the t-55 is equipped with north korean rangefinder

t55.png

Edited by Raymond

that hit the t-72? probably metis or kornet

I believe it was an RPG-16 or an equivalent. Nasty weapon, designed to defeat ERA armor and anything else you can put on a tank. Given that the T-72, even with ERA, is a deathtrap it's not surprising to see the ammo cook off a few seconds after it's hit. A very useful weapon in close quarters urban combat, more so than a missile which takes a multi-person crew and often requires a few hundred meters to arm itself after launch.

Most of AQ's previous experience in the neighborhood comes from fighting us, and they didn't have much by the way of heavy weapons then. For good reason, too: American forces excel at destroying big point targets like tanks and artillery pieces. No big training bases for them, either; those are even bigger and better targets of the sort that Americans are good at blowing up. So having any of that would have been suicide - and not the kind that AQ is normally fond of. Assad's another story. He won't be as good at destroying their heavy weapons, so using them becomes an acceptable risk. Clear and hold a little territory, and you can set up some training bases, too. But... with who as instructors? Training Al Quaeda to use heavy weapons is a bit on the "politically incorrect" side, so I don't imagine they've got any big names helping them with that. A few defectors from Assad's army, perhaps a few deserters from Iraq's army (either Saddam's iteration of it or ours) who are looking for work... that's about it. I doubt that even many mercenaries would take the job.

So mostly a lot of trial and error, I'd guess. Whoever the commander of that tank was, well, there's one mistake he won't ever make again. Scared straight, so to speak. And, if he gets through learning enough of those lessons, eventually he'll pass them on.

http://youtu.be/UHmGz5IhP_k

this is a pretty widely studied clip of a t-72 brewing up. its a bit of a strange clip, from the analysis its clear its definitely hit with something (rpg-29 its believed). the crew man was either blown out, or was beside the tank at time of impact

He was thrown out of the open gunner's hatch.

I believe it was an RPG-16 or an equivalent. Nasty weapon, designed to defeat ERA armor and anything else you can put on a tank. Given that the T-72, even with ERA, is a deathtrap it's not surprising to see the ammo cook off a few seconds after it's hit. A very useful weapon in close quarters urban combat, more so than a missile which takes a multi-person crew and often requires a few hundred meters to arm itself after launch.

16 is just custom version of RPG-7 for airborne and SF, warhead wise they are a match. It could be a PG-7VR fired from a standard tube 7 or RPG-29. Both were sold to Syria in late 90's.

Edited by K-5

Most of AQ's previous experience in the neighborhood comes from fighting us, and they didn't have much by the way of heavy weapons then. For good reason, too: American forces excel at destroying big point targets like tanks and artillery pieces. No big training bases for them, either; those are even bigger and better targets of the sort that Americans are good at blowing up.

Like a mansion in pakistan? that would never work... well for a few years, yes. and Who said anything about "big"? They are not stupid. AQ has shown boundless imagination in finding places and people to get training. Their "tank school" may be a tent with an old T-## parked in wezeristan, but its knowledge that can be passed on, and their instructors may well have a ton of experience. In case you hadn't noticed these guys can be a tad on the elusive side.

So having any of that would have been suicide - and not the kind that AQ is normally fond of. Assad's another story. He won't be as good at destroying their heavy weapons, so using them becomes an acceptable risk. Clear and hold a little territory, and you can set up some training bases, too. But... with who as instructors?

AQ can recruit just fine, Chechens, afghans, egyptians, saudis, any number of countries that have tanks have people that can teach others about them. chechens had great effect on the russians, with most of them being prior soviet army. AQ gets training, even if its not giant barracks and tank parks... and even then yes they might be recruited from conventional forces that were trained before AQ recruited them. AQ has trainers and they come from all over the globe and no, they are not idiots. They are capable teachers. the 9/11 hijackers learned to fly in the good ol' USA. Al quada flying school!? madness I say!! surely they could not go somewhere that would teach them to use tanks for the right price! so yes an AQ tank school is not crazy. They don't have procurement issues, fiscal years, congressional approval and safety briefs/risk management regulations, and sexual assault allegations that would constitute a fine western military establishment, but in the sense that they have:

A. A knowledgable person(s) to pass the information

B. intelligent students (preferably ones that can read, but motivation can make up for it)

C. serviceable equipment to practice on

Or option 2:

A. a trained soldier joins AQ having already been properly trained on tanks elsewhere. He is now an AQ member trained on tanks, and assuming he is capable of doing so, can then teach other new comers how to use a tank.

This isn't rocket science, but then again neither is teaching someone how to use an RPG. yes you can have AQ tank training. Would they survive against a skilled US Abrams crew? no way in hell. but then again well trained armies don't either so far. So can AQ teach crews enough to fight in survive in a tank in order to further their goals around the globe? Yes.

A tank school is not necessarily a giant huge barracks, hangers, chow hall, BAS, PX acres of space deal like in the US, but then again it doesn't need to be.

Training Al Quaeda to use heavy weapons is a bit on the "politically incorrect" side, so I don't imagine they've got any big names helping them with that.

"politically incorrect?" boy that's an interesting argument. You do realize that American politcal correctness ends at our borders, and other countries have different ideas of what is acceptable? just because they are persona non grata in the west doesn't mean they are shunned everywhere. If it was that simple AQ wouldn't exist. There is these little countries to the east and west of afghanistan that have been "more than helpful" to AQ. lets not be naive. Pakistan was so "politically incorrect" for having UBL living there, we continue to give them billions in aide. watch out, plenty more money where that came from-- we got our eye on you!

Yes America can kill big fat targets like tanks with ease, but that's assuming they are in areas we are allowed to shoot in the first place. There many countries that openly support terror groups, and publicly call for the elimination of whole races of people If you somehow think American opinions of what is correct politically actually mean anything to them, I have some bad news. lets not pretend this "oh no one would take AQ under their wing and teach them nefarious things to use on us--- we're the good guys and that breaks our rules!" rationale is logical in any sense.

assuming this is AQ at all of course...

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Shoulda gone to specsavers :taunt:/>

Glad the bad guy missed. :yahoo:/>

Which one is the bad guy? :thumbsup:

If you ask me, they should have shot two missiles, one for the tank and the other to double back and nail the original position.