Hi guys,

I have the Academy 1/32 F-16I Sufa and I am thinking about putting some electronics in it.

As I don't know much about the F-16I lighting system, it would be great if someone can help me with this.

I basically need to know the place and the frequency of each light.

Thanks,

Eran Reches.

Hi guys,

I have the Academy 1/32 F-16I Sufa and I am thinking about putting some electronics in it.

As I don't know much about the F-16I lighting system, it would be great if someone can help me with this.

I basically need to know the place and the frequency of each light.

Thanks,

Eran Reches.

Here's a video that should give you an idea.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I have already saw that video, but I am not sure that all F-16s' lighting systems are identical (other model, block, etc.).

Furthermore, I am quite sure that the lights can be in more than one status.

So the question still remains.

Eran.

All A/B models and Block 25, 30 and 32 models have the taxi light on the R/H MLG and the landing light on the L/H MLG. The lights were move to be attached to the front edge of the nose gear door starting with the Block 40/42. I don't remember the reason for the relocation, but it might have something to do with the larger landing gear for extra weight ie. the larger diameter gear would not allow the light fixtures to be attached to that location and still clear the door upon retraction. HTH

Edited by falcon1974

I believe that the reason for relocation of landing lights from the MLG struts to the nose gear door was due to the addition of the nav/targeting pods on the intake sides, which blocked the lights on the gear legs.

That is correct. I'm not sure but I believe the Block 30/32s also moved the light to the nose gear door as part of the CUPID upgrade.

When I was a lawn dart crew chief the most advanced airframe we got up to was a block 32 and never flew with pods on the intake sides so probably was fed a bunch of pilot b.s. That sounds like a good reason to move the lights to me. Shortly after I left that unit to work on KC-135s (puke) that unit switched to A-10s. I think it had something to do with failing an ORI a time or two.

Just because you never flew with pods doesn't mean they couldn't be carried. IIRC CUPID was implemented about 10 years ago. From various sources:

F-16 CUPID

Upgrade of 620 Air National Guard and AF Reserve Command Block 25/30/32 aircraft to bring them close to Block 50/52 specification. The Combat Upgrade Plan Integration Details (CUPID) upgrade includes a Situation Awareness Datalink (SADL), GPS navigation, improved video tape recorder, colour camera, NVG compatible lightning and integration of the Lockheed Martin AN/AAQ-13 navigation and Lockheed Martin AN/AAQ-14 targeting pod.

I forgot to add the frequency of the nav and anti-collision lights. The nav lights when selected to flash (they can be set to steady position) flash once every second to second and a half and the anti-collision light can be set to a number of different settings. It can be selected to flash pulse once every 5 or 6 seconds, twice or three times in quick succession before a 5 to 6 second delay. All other lights are steady. The 2 aerial refueling lights only illuminate when the aerial refuel door switch is activated. One light is right behind the rear canopy and the other is in the tube 3/4 up the fin.

Edited by falcon1974

Just because you never flew with pods doesn't mean they couldn't be carried. IIRC CUPID was implemented about 10 years ago. From various sources:

I didn't say they couldn't be carried I said we never carried them.

That is correct. I'm not sure but I believe the Block 30/32s also moved the light to the nose gear door as part of the CUPID upgrade.

The relocation of the lights to the NLG door is also part of the Euro MLU F-16AM/BM update.

F16BM-KLu.jpg

Cheers,

Andre