USMC CH-53D "BATAAN" 45

The name (Bataan) on the nose gear door and the unit (MAG 24 / HMH 362) this CH-53D belonged have their significance . .

http://www.unknownsoldiersblog.com/2011/01/angel-in-sky.html

2vk128k.jpg

My further web searches to date weren’t successful for additional images suggesting markings on the airframe to aid in modeling in 1/72nd.. Please, would anyone assist me on the query, and what is the right color grey the above CH-53D is wearing…

Many thanks in advance…

Farouk

Zamboanga City

The Philippines

The rest of the markings would be standard 53 markings for 362. YL on the tail. Bataan would only be on the gear door.

CH-53D 157749/YL-47 HMH-362 MCAS Yuma, AZ

CH-53D 156967/YL-40 HMH-362 MCAS Yuma

HTH

Edited by Tank

The rest of the markings would be standard 53 markings for 362. YL on the tail. Bataan would only be on the gear door.

CH-53D 157749/YL-47 HMH-362 MCAS Yuma, AZ

CH-53D 156967/YL-40 HMH-362 MCAS Yuma

HTH

thank you so much for the quick reply!! . . I hope you would accommodate me with another query: the FS Number of the color grey... Please, excuse the ignorance . . Keep well and thanks again.. Tank,

Farouk

Zamboanga City

The Philippines

Depends on which one you build, I think the photos are a two tone scheme which is similar to the Echo scheme of 35237 top and 36375, the video looks like the single color scheme of 16440.

From the MAW Decal 1/48 sheet.

48-MAW010b.jpg

48-MAW010c.jpg

For your build it would not have digi camo on the tail, but it appears to me that the edge between the colors is more of a wave then a straight line as drawn on the profile.

48-MAW010d.jpg

HTH

Depends on which one you build, I think the photos are a two tone scheme which is similar to the Echo scheme of 35237 top and 36375, the video looks like the single color scheme of 16440.

48-MAW010b.jpg

48-MAW010c.jpg

For your build it would not have digi camo on the tail, but it appears to me that the edge between the colors is more of a wave then a straight line as drawn on the profile.

48-MAW010d.jpg

HTH

Tank,

You're absolutely correct about the "single grey" color scheme. When I was at Bastion/Leatherneck, ALL of the -53Ds were a semi-gloss or even gloss gray that differed greatly from what the -53E's were "wearing". I'm not sure why all the Hawaii-based D squadrons wore the glossy scheme (maybe easier to wash off exhaust/oil staining that the -53s are notorious for?). At any rate, the single color grey is correct for the Delta squadrons.

Semper,

Ski

May guess would be kiss. Easiest way to tell the difference between the capabilities and keep that at the front of everyone's mind is the color change. There probably is other more valid reasons but the easiest way I can see to help out the officers. :)

I agree that most current Deltas are single color scheme, but the two photos suggest the color being similar to the fleet birds. What I can figure out is how or that would logically happen for so few birds so close to retirement. The video is the signal color scheme.

48-MAW010b.jpg

48-MAW010c.jpg

48-MAW010d.jpg

HTH

Sir Tank . . many, many thanks for your usual reply and assistance!!

I can't get a fixe on the "Bataan 45" on joe baugher's seriial/bureau number site. A last hurdle before a decal set can be made...

Again, Many thanks, Sir Tanks ( and others who contributed their knowledge). . Best regards to all..

Farouk

Sir Tank . . many, many thanks for your usual reply and assistance!!

I can't get a fixe on the "Bataan 45" on joe baugher's seriial/bureau number site. A last hurdle before a decal set can be made...

Again, Many thanks, Sir Tanks ( and others who contributed their knowledge). . Best regards to all..

Farouk

Not a problem. For the most part unless someone from 362 speaks up it will be very difficult to match Buno number to modex let alone aircraft name.

By no means a complete list but a list of possible buno numbers that might have been used. A few modex if I could find them.

156967 40

157748 51

157749 47

7748 was the second bird that I came across with a 10,000 hrs article. That was 2010, the other was 2007 and both with 362.

http://www.3rdmaw.marines.mil/News/NewsArticleDisplay/tabid/8112/Article/89295/ch-53d-reaches-10000-flight-hours.aspx

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1910863/posts

Interesting he was the CC and then the Pilot for the same bird 14 yrs apart.

Not a problem. For the most part unless someone from 362 speaks up it will be very difficult to match Buno number to modex let alone aircraft name.

Sir Tank :

Due to difficulty regarding matching Buno to Modex/aircraft name, do you think I can get away with out it and still find some correctness?!

Please, comment on below graphics - an initial draft toward home-made decal:

ht5sgm.jpg

55qe5w.jpg

Does the grey comes as two tone (the way I showed it above) . . or just a single one as I can discerned from the photo of the Bataan at the beginning of this thread? Any comment is appreciated...

Best regards to all..

Farouk

Edited by TausugAIR

The CH-53Ds should be overall FS16440, weathered and dulled to match your references.

Hi, Rank11,

Thanks for the info on the color scheme; and, accordingly made out (of, course no weathering treatment, etc):

oh3zn.jpg

In this color scheme the markings are not so distinct as compared to the picture of the prototype "Bataan", seen at the head of this thread ; and, below...

ev3x3d.jpg

besides, the 16440 does not seem to match the prototype color(as per the same photo) . . . Is the color difference due to light condition or this an exception? I really would like to go with finish shown in the photo as near as possible...

BATAAN is a place in the Philippines where the American and Filipino soldiers made their heroic last stand against the Japanese in World War 2 which the fatal result ushered in the "Bataan Death March" in 9 April 1941 . . and, a benchmark of my late wife's birthday of 10 April . .Marine Aircraft Group 24, to which HMH 362 belonged, was stationed in nearby Moret Field (now PhilAF Edwin Andrews Air Base/Zamboanga City International Airport) in World War 2. These are the significance why I am choosing this subject to model . .

Thanks, again...Best regards to all..

Farouk

Edited by TausugAIR

Your graphic looks like it is using fs36231 dark gull gray. 16440 is much lighter. You'll have sufficient contrast with 16440 and 35237 markings. If you are not familiar with navy colors, 16440 is the topside color of the high vis navy color scheme. Look at pictures of E-2s for an idea of what that color looks like. The graphic color chip you have is way too dark.

There have been a few CH-53Ds painted in the same scheme as the E's and I remember somebody posting a pic here of one just to prove that there was at least one from many years ago. However unless you can prove to yourself that that particular helo was painted non-standard, you should be safe with painting it the standard overall 16440.

Edited by Rank11

Your graphic looks like it is using fs36231 dark gull gray. 16440 is much lighter. You'll have sufficient contrast with 16440 and 35237 markings. If you are not familiar with navy colors, 16440 is the topside color of the high vis navy color scheme. Look at pictures of E-2s for an idea of what that color looks like. The graphic color chip you have is way too dark.

There have been a few CH-53Ds painted in the same scheme as the E's and I remember somebody posting a pic here of one just to prove that there was at least one from many years ago. However unless you can prove to yourself that that particular helo was painted non-standard, you should be safe with painting it the standard overall 16440.

Rank11, many thanks on your comment . . and, here's an update (revision)following your observastion on the 16440

2ykkvie.jpg

I erred on the RGB value for 16440 on the previous graphics (not careful enough reading the refs!!) and will go with overall 16440 . .

I hope my case on the color scheme would be rested and I can proceed with the decal making/printing. .

I am, by the way, using the Italeri HH-53C kit (72nd) as basis (?) for this build . . I would appreciate any pointers on the differences of HH-53 and CH-53, and, what features needed to be "moded" on the basis . .

MANY, MANY THANKS!! Rank11 and others . . best regards..

Farouk

If you are indeed making a set of decals for the CH-53D, I have some pictures of 157173/YL22, which is the HMH-362 CH-53D at the air museum at Pearl Harbor which I visited recently that I can email.

If you are indeed making a set of decals for the CH-53D, I have some pictures of 157173/YL22, which is the HMH-362 CH-53D at the air museum at Pearl Harbor which I visited recently that I can email.

Hi, Rank11,,

PM'ed you my e-mail address . . . Thanks in advance... Keep well...

Farouk

Rank, thanks for the informations you have e-mailed me! Here's the outcome of those references:

2qiojmv.jpg

4hv34p.jpg

347v1nt.jpg

(I have PM'ed a PDF image of the initial/draft of the decal sheet a while ago to you . .)

Tank, my thanks also to you . .

Regards to all...

Farouk

Edited by TausugAIR

Farouk,

Looks great. I think you could get away with changing the buno to 45 like you wanted to go with. Very few people in the world will be able to tell you are incorrect.

Farouk,

Looks great. I think you could get away with changing the buno to 45 like you wanted to go with. Very few people in the world will be able to tell you are incorrect.

Thanks for the suggestion! That's very encouraging as I am really going for "45 - Bataan " and would pick from the list of BUNOs you have listed. The "22" in the collage is to establish the locations and sizes of the markings being having the prototype Museum photos (courtesy of Rank11). Here's the draft of the proposed decal:

RESIZEDCopyofch-5ddatastencils-72-A5whitebckgroundpdf-JPEG.jpg

Again, many thanks to all who have help me with this project... Keep well

Farouk