Revell 1/32 UH-1D, UH-1H and 205 nose conversion & interior detail

Hello everyone,

rather than just replying on huey_crew_chief's thread I thought it might be of intereset to start a new topic right away.

As the title of this topic suggests it's all about a conversion of the formidable Revell 1/32 Huey kit. Without any doubt, that aged Revell kit is still the most accurate and best detailed kit regarding proportions of the fuselage and overall appearance. The kits flaws are known and have been discussed many of times here in the forum and elsewhere. Whoever compared the available larger scale Hueys on the market (Dragon & Revell) must come to the conclusion that ONLY the Revell's overall appearance resembles the real deal in proportion and rivet details. Unfortunately there's not much more in the kit that happens to be so.

In no specific order the major flaws are: nose section, cabin interior, main- and tailrotor assy, overpropotioned pilot and copilot door hinges, wrong ADF antennae on roof and wrong oil cooler plate on bottom of fuselage.

And since the kit has not been improved since its first appearance, it also lacks all the modernisation steps that had been undertaken ever since on all the real world Huyes spread around the globe.

So far only Joseph @ Fireball modelworks has managed to make a great step towards upgrading the 1/32 kit by producing the EXCELLENT resin UH-1H/V detail sets.

I'll make every bet that every Hueylover has been waiting for an accurate large scale Huey or at least a conversion set for Revells 1/32 bird to turn this little gem into a real masterpiece!

Maybe some of you guys still remember my 1/32 Huey project from almost 10 years ago here on the forum and I have literaly quit working on models since that point. But I have not stopped working on Hueys! As some of you know I have written a book about the Hueys in German service. There's a reason to mention this now. While doing research for my book project I was happy to get in touch with a guy who was a Huey pilot himself (both, within the Army and later for a civil corporation) and a highly gifted modeler who was never satisfied with the 1/32 Revell BK-117, the helicopter he flew when working for a huge German air rescue company. So he just started to produce his own conversion set for the 32 BK-117. That specific guys name is Chris. Some of you may know his BK117 conversion kit.

When I saw this I came up with my complaint why he never made something similar for the most iconic helicopter ever... We talked on and off over the past few years and I provided him with all kinds of information about the real deal. A couple of weeks ago he posted me pictures of the first prototypes of a future nose & interior conversion set.

To make a long story short: Here's something that should catch your attention! Remember! These are just early stages of the development phase but they give you an idea of what might will be available in a matter of time.

All the credit is to my friend Chris with whoms permit I post the following pictures!

One last word of what is planned for the future: The kit might include a set the depicts the correct nose and cabin floor for a civil 205A, a German built military UH-1D and may be a UH-1H/V. In parallel another friend of mine (also a very, very talented and gifted modeler) has agreed to put his work and effort on a complete new main and tail rotor assembly for the kit and any other additional goodies to make the Revell Huey more realistic.

I'll keep you updated here.

Cheers,

Rob

bell10vers.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Hueyrob

Aah Rob you beat me to it mate. Chris emailed me as well to post the pics as he was having problems.

As you know Chris is an awesome modeller and it is nice that he is also working on the 205. As Rob said Chris flew Hueys and also BK-117's for ADAC and I am in the process of helping him with the main structure so he can load it all up with his amazing 'HUGE' etch set for the 32nd BK-117.

Chris is a genius when it comes to photoetch and for those who haven't seen it he does an amazing set for the BK. Chris has 3 versions of floor in the works and the prototypes you see here are very much grainy test shots for fitting, alignment purposes.

As far as the big Huey goes I am trying to sort out Solidworks to do a 212/412 conversion to go along with Chris's etch. The Revell kit is surprisingly accurate (aside from the nose)for its age and is a sound basis for improvement.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Folks,

got on the phone with Chris last night to discuss some more items and what might is planned with his set in the future.

Beware that everything is still in its developing phase!

There's still a lot to measure and to compare. Luckily I have a Huey sitting in my barn so I can just walk out there with a ruler and provide him with the required data. And since I have also access to all the maintenance and other doumentiation of the Huey it's a good basis for a decent and realistic conversion. ;)/> Right now we're pretty stuck and focused on German and civil UH-1 versions but those'll get down right to the knobs on the pedestral panel! Other versions might follow.

Chris considered processing and/ or offering a "lighter" version of the nose conversion since it's very challenging to work with brass for not so ******** modelers. Chris is aware of that and very keen on making it usable for other modelers as well.

The development of the main rotor assembly is still in the early stage of beginning. What I can say so far is that it will be a mixture of metal and resin parts... more information on this is to follow.

And here's some teasers of what to expect from the instrument and pedestral panel.

Cheers,

ROB

Here's the main instrument panel prototype in the civil 205A layout:

bell1vers.jpg

Dashboard with new glareshield:

bell205001.jpg

And here's the center console prototype:

The layout reflects the radios and control panels of a German Army (pre-mod) UH-1D witch shows some differences to the US Army version. (i.e. other intercom or IFF)

Overlays of radio, engine and other control units located in the console:

bell205027.jpg

Prototype fitting test:

bell205032.jpg

General overview:

bell205012.jpg

@ Anthony: Distance nowerdays is defined by internet speed and telecommunication connection ;)/> Well, at least there's no time difference between us.

Cheers,

ROB

Rob,

Good to see you back on the forum. That certainly is one nice etch set you guys have coming along. Looks like it might take someone like me as long to put that together as a real Huey though! Glad to hear there is a set for us less skilled modelers in the works.

Ray

Ray, good to see you too! :)/>

As I mentioned before, Chris is absolutely aware of the not so skilled type of modelers so a "light" version of the kit is likely to be realised. But just from the looks I can surely tell that the new window framing alone is a high improvement of the original kits general nose appearance.

Anyway, here's some more pictures from the in-the-works-shelf.

Cheers,

ROB

Noses...

bell205043.jpg

Cabin floor details:

bell205011.jpg

This looks awesome. I love the floor details. Any chance you guys are thinking about doing floors for other helo? A new floor (and maybe a ceiling, side walls, gunners' bulkheads, etc...) for the 1/35 Academy UH-60s would be most welcomed.

Edited by HeavyArty

This looks awesome. I love the floor details. Any chance you guys are thinking about doing floors for other helo? A new floor (and maybe a ceiling, side walls, gunners' bulkheads, etc...) for the 1/35 Academy UH-60s would be most welcomed.

Hi arty...

the project has its sources in the heads of a couple of HUEY fanatics... It is pretty much of own interest and for the HUEY community. Currently there are no plans to focus on another project (like the UH-60) until this one is finished. But who knows...

Very nice indeed. Would love to see accurate bulkheads, door pillars, ceilings etc as part of these sets too.

Hi UH-1Mad (I like your nick :)/>/> )

So far I really don't know how deep Chris will head into the detailing of the interior. But as a matter of fact I provided him with everything necessary to do so :)/>/> I'll keep you updated.

Rob your work is amazing....fantastic thats for sure...

greetings from Brazil

Shepard

Hi Shepard,

thanks for your compliment! But all the credits have to be sended to Chris who's the artist in this game!!! I'm just providing all the info required to get it as accurate as possible.

Stay tuned for more news soon!

Cheers,

ROB

While your at it, how about a PE set for the EC-145/UH-72?, since Renaissance Models doesn't carry their EC-145 set anymore. Your UH-1 detail set will be an awesome add on to someone's Huey. Looking good so far! And I'll second that motion for a UH-60 set as well!!!!. Kinda partial to them Hawks ya know!

While your at it, how about a PE set for the EC-145/UH-72?, since Renaissance Models doesn't carry their EC-145 set anymore. Your UH-1 detail set will be an awesome add on to someone's Huey. Looking good so far! And I'll second that motion for a UH-60 set as well!!!!. Kinda partial to them Hawks ya know!

I'm in for a set! For my huey collection.

Edited by hueycrew

Hi folks,

here's a little update. Chris had to apply little corrections to allign the overall shape a little bit.

I think it really turned out well even there's only a minor change compared with his previous versions.

Regards,

ROB

bell2050082.jpg

Sideview of framing:

bell2050062.jpg

attached to kit as a nose replacement:

bell205015.jpg

In these pictures you see the framing with the struts and finally skins attached.

That also gives you a rough idea of the kits architecture.

The result is self-explaining and just "Wow"! Remember: This is all still the experimental phase of the project. The pictures show the civil 205A1 version of the assembly NOT the military UH-1D.

Cheers,

ROB

bell205016.jpg

bell20516.jpg

bell205011.jpg

More to follow...