Group Build proposal

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interesed in sinking ships?

• Sounds cool, send them to the bottom!
    • Nah, I like ships, keep them afloat

Hey all,

I just got this idea of an anti ship warfare GB. You can build loads of things for it, like Avengers, Dauntlesses or Fw-200's from WW 2, Neptunes or Badgers from the cold war, that S-3 that fired an AGM-65 on Saddam's yacht, to Lynxes and Sea Hawks loaded with torpedoes and missiles. So it should cater for everyone.

What do you think?

Anti-sub as well, or just anti surface ship?

A couple of torpedo bombers come to mind, and if ASW is also allowed, then even more ideas are floating around my head.

How about some pics for inspiration...

A Soviet Tu-22M2 loaded with a Kh-22 anti ship missile is being shadowed by a Norwegian F-16:

Soviet_Tu-22M_and_a_F-16_Fighting_Falcon_1988_zps60e26876.jpeg

A US Navy SB2C Helldiver flies over a burning Japanese tanker:

US_Navy_Helldiver_flying_over_a_burning_Japanese_tanker_January_1945_zps251196c8.jpg

A US Navy P5M Marlin keeps an eye on a Soviet Foxtrot-class submarine during the Cuban missile crisis:

P5M_VP-45_and_DD-835_with_Foxtrot_sub_at_Cuban_Missile_Crisis_1962_zps99387880.jpg

Edited by Pete

Some more pics.

A close up of a preserved German Marineflieger Fairey Gannet:

PA300476.jpg

A B-25 attacking ships during WW2:

airmitchell9_zpsff2ff100.jpg

A B-52G is loaded with Mk.60 CAPTOR's during an exercise at Loring AFB, Maine in 1989:

DF-ST-90-11650_zps63834ee3.jpeg

Edited by Pete

Oh man, I have SO MUCH in my stash that would fit this GB. Awesome idea!

This might give me the excuse I need to pull my P4M Mercator out of the stash and build it.

Mike

Some more pics.

Basically how it all started. A Martin NBS-1 bomber hits the former USS Alabama with a white phosphorous bomb during tests in 1921. This was part of the famous "Project B", a series of tests suggested by brigadier general Billy Mitchell to show the vulnerability of ships to air attacks.

USS_Alabama_28BB-829_1921_zps1059905a.jpg

A RAF Tornado GR.1B loaded with 2 Sea Eagle missiles flies along the British coast.

jet-TornadoGR1B_zps7e791192.jpg

A Polish Navy Mi-14 and a SH-2G Super Seasprite in formation.

Trening_przed_defilad1050_lotnicz1050_03_zpscda73ab9.jpg

Edited by Pete

All great suggestions, guys! :) From small jets to large patrol planes. I myself just bought the new Airfix 1/48 Westland Lynx, which I'd love to build for the GB, if it gets approved. So far we have 20 votes for yes, which is good. But to make it happen, we need a few more people aboard.

If this GB goes forward, I'll donate a couple of CP-140 Aurora decal sets as prizes. I might have my Neptune set back from the printer by then too. Just let me know.

thanks

David

If this GB goes forward, I'll donate a couple of CP-140 Aurora decal sets as prizes. I might have my Neptune set back from the printer by then too. Just let me know.

thanks

David

Hopefully you do, the Neptune I'd do for this GB, I'd want to use your decals for it!

thanks

David

Cool! Thanks Dave! It's always great when someone wants to sponsor a GB.

I have a Tu-95 here that I could build.

I never enter in a Group Build here, where can I found the rules?

thks!

A Tu-95 will be great, Lucas. As long as you build it in its maritime role. Rules will be posted in the GB once it gets approved and started, which will be a couple months from now. But basically you can build any plane which had some sort of anti-ship role, both surface ships and submarines.

And now for some more pics.

An S-3B Viking loaded with a Mk.55 exercise mine on board the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower.

DN-SC-90-01979_zpsac5abc3e.jpeg

A Canadian Avenger AS-3M in flight. This was a sub hunting version of the Avenger with a MAD boom.

Grumman_Avenger_ExCC_zpsf1241b67.jpg

A Soviet Beriev Be-12 Chayka in flight.

Be-121Apr1990_zps0b34e721.jpg

Edited by Pete

Cool choices, Seb. I have a Gannet and Tornado that I could do as well. I think we're looking at a starting date no earlier than September.