Group Build proposal

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interesed in sinking ships?

• Sounds cool, send them to the bottom!
    • Nah, I like ships, keep them afloat

Will do, Neo, as soon as we get 25 votes for yes. Only one more to go.

Also, I'm looking for someone to co-mod this with me. If you feel like it, let me know. :)

Cheers guys, 25 votes for yes in a week, that's neat. I will fill in the submission template today.

@ Seb: That's fine with me, I will be building an A-10 for your GB as well. Glad to have you along. :cheers:/>

And some more pics, and a clip too this time.

A Soviet Il-38 "May" checks out the USS Midway in 1979:

Soviet_Il-38_May_passing_low_over_USS_Midway_CV-41_zps1781ad14.jpg

An Argentine S-2 Tracker performs a low aproach on the USS Nimitz in 2010:

Argentina_navy_S-2_Tracker_zpsad1c6306.jpg

A US Navy SH-3 Sea King dips its sonar into the water:

SH-3D_Sea_King_of_HS-84_with_AQS-13_sonar_in_1983_zps87b1e9b5.jpeg

And finally, a short German Bundeswehr film about the Marineflieger. Warning, this movie is from 1973, so beware of cheesy music :D

Edited by Pete

Lots of old photos and literature. I just finished reading a Navel Aviation News, October 1962 from one of the links on there. My link :thumbsup:/>

Cool, come to think of it, it's 50 years later, and they're only beginning to replace those Orions now. One of the great planes.

Here is one i found of a RAAF Hornet carrying AGM=84's

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/albums/Hornet-A21-46/A21_46.jpg

Cool shot. Thanks for sharing. :)

Speaking if Aussie aircraft sinking ships, what about the F-111 that was used to sink the ex North Korean fishing boat, I think it was ping sue or something similar.

Ryan,

From what I remember I think that the F-111, dropped 2 GBU-10's (?) on the Pong Su.

Yup, that one counts too. I did some digging to see if I could find out which F-111 dropped those GBU-10's, but no luck so far. BTW, Aussie F-111's could also employ the Harpoon missile, so you can build any F-111C for the GB, as long as it's loaded appropiatly.

Yup, that one counts too. I did some digging to see if I could find out which F-111 dropped those GBU-10's, but no luck so far. BTW, Aussie F-111's could also employ the Harpoon missile, so you can build any F-111C for the GB, as long as it's loaded appropiatly.

Hi Pete,

I have information of 1 of the F-111's involved.

A8-148 an F-111C, has a unique position. Not only was it involved in the mission and releasing one of the GBU's, that sunk the Pong Su.

It was also being the Last "C" model delivered to the RAAF, Im hoping i can see if there was any still photos of it.

regards

Brendon.

Hi Pete,

I have information of 1 of the F-111's involved.

A8-148 an F-111C, has a unique position. Not only was it involved in the mission and releasing one of the GBU's, that sunk the Pong Su.

It was also being the Last "C" model delivered to the RAAF, Im hoping i can see if there was any still photos of it.

regards

Brendon.

Cool, thanks for the info.

BTW, that RAAF F-111C was not the only Aardvark involved in anti-shipping missions. In 1975, F-111's from the 374th TFW based at Korat AB in Thailand, found the hijacked ship SS Mayaguez off the coast of Cambodia. During the crisis, F-111's, along with A-7D's and F-4's, were involved with the rescue operations. One of the F-111's even dropped a Mk.84 bomb on a gunboat.

Wolfpak decals has one of the involved F-111's on one of their earlier sheets, which is long out of stock, but if you have it in the stash, it would be a cool subject for this GB. The sheet is 72-012.

Don't forget the Civil Air Patrol with their yellow and red aircraft and the problems they gave U-Boats during WWII.

I must admit I know nothing of this subject. Can you tell me a bit more about it? Sounds interesting.

Edited by Pete
  • 1 month later...

Pete,

I didn't check the calender but this one have dates yet? I've found myself looking at Fw 200 Condors as you know.

Upcoming Group Builds

• Special Ops GB: September 1st 2013 to March 1st 2014 Host Drifterdon and Remington Box
  • ASW Group Build: September 1st 2013 to March 1st 2014 Host Pete, Sebastijan
  • Open Wheel Racing Gb: September 1st 2013 to March 1st 2014 Host Bigasshammm
  • Bare it All Group Build: January 1st 2014 to July1st 2014 Host falcon20driver
  • Australia and New Zealand Wings Group Build: January 1st 2014 to July1st 2014 Litvyak, Ross Blackford.
  • Bad Boys Group Build: January 1st 2013 to July 1st 2014 Host phantom, Pete & Neo AKA The Group Build Moderators

ASW Group Build: <span style="color: rgb(0, 128, 0);">September</span> 1st 2013 to <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">March </span>1st 2014<strong class="bbc"> Host Pete, Sebastijan</strong>

So this it then.

I'd better clear the bench for the P-3C.

Edited by Spectre711

Yup, I'll be getting a set of the new RCAF Neptune decals for this! And I've got a Fujimi Sea King in the stash, too, that I might build for this...

How are you going to handle non-dedicated aircraft that saw regular use in the anti-shipping role? I'm thinking about non-naval dive and level bombers during WW2, B-17 at Midway, Ju-87 in the channel and Med etc.

Sure, those qualify too. As long as there is some evidence a subject did attack ships. Another good example are the Lancasters that went after the Tirpitz.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up, people. In two weeks, this GB will start. So dive into your stash or go to your favorite (online) hobby shop, and get those ASW planes ready! :)