NASCAR builders

Guys/Gals

Can someone point me in the right direction for dove grey paint? It doesn't matter if it's WalMart,krylon or rustoleum. Looking for the stock number so I can see about getting some order by the stores where I live. The last time I ordered they got the wrong color and I ended up eating a can I could not use. Every where I have gone has no dove grey just light grey and heather grey. Any help would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Southern,

Testors Model Master makes FS-X6440 which is Light Gull Gray. It comes in gloss (16440), semi-gloss (26440), and flat (36440). Coming from a fellow that paints a lot of US NAVY aircraft and NASCAR interiors, this is the color I use. Model Master has this color in their enamel and acrylic lines. Depending on if you use an aribrush or looking for the rattle cans, the color is available from MM in both forms. In order to better steer you in the right direction, it would be helpful if I knew what kind of paint you were looking for and how you intend to use it (interior or exterior). I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Ken

Thanks for the info. I didnt even think about FS16440 for the chassis paint. I was thinking of using Light Ghost Grey, but decided against it due to it looking too light. As soon as I get the chance to spray Im going to try and finish my J. Mayfield dodge dealers ride. Thanks again.

• 5 months later...

Really late to the party on this one, but check out Krylon Pewter Grey, I know that Hobby Lobby carries it in rattle cans. Its what I use on my Nascar chassis's and its supposed to be a pretty good match for whats used on Cup cars.

Edited by Adam Baker
  • 1 year later...

I've been working on a pair of Monogram Luminas for the past two weeks. I tried the Krylon Pewter Grey color and while it looks good, I'm just not that big a fan of how the Krylon looked when sprayed on the insides of my car bodies.

On a hunch, I decided to go with Tamiya spray primer and all things considered, it is close enough to Pewter Grey for my uses. I used it to touch up a couple Krylon spots inside the body and it matched almost exactly. Yes, it is a flat shade, but two coats of Tamiya TS-13 clear gloss gave it a nice gloss to semi-gloss sheen which seems appropriate for NASCAR rollcages and chassis in this scale and it is now my preferred method of doing these assemblies.

BTW, Mr. Surfacer is practically the same shade as well.