Just a heads-up for anyone wanting to model the Mil Mi-14 Haze.

The Ukrainian firm of Armory has released a resin conversion set - but it is designed to fit the Zvezda Mi-8 donor kit.

This Russian modeller is making his Mi-14PL by using the much more accurate Hobby Boss Mi-8MT.

I have already made a Mi-14 - using the Polish resin kit from Topgun.....

mi-14_015.jpg

.... but it is the Mi-14PS SAR variant.

Now that I know that the Armory set can be made to fit the HB donor kit, I might be tempted to try one myself to make the ASW version....

Thanks to the Russian modeller for showing us that it can be done - and to Armory for producing the conversion set. :thumbsup:/>/>

Ken

The Russian set looks good at first sight (even if very expensive) but in details . . . The biggest problem is with the side walls, in fuselage cross section they (the resin conversion set) show a very marked decrease in width and a sharp brake between the top (original Mi-8 outline) and the bottom (boat shape) while on the original it is smoothly blended and not so sharply visible line. I was fortunate enough just yesterday to spend few hours with seven ex GDR Mi-14 examples that have been relocated to our country (three of them served in the US).

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Gabor any pictures? :-):-):-)

Sorry, the owner did not give permission for it. I only had the chance to spend few hours with the airframes, just hope that one day we will have the right to do a proper walk around. There are 3-4 private collections around here that are not for public viewing and we have to play by the rules of the owners. I hope that it will change one day.

When I can, I publish what I see. Sorry not this time.

Best regards

Gabor

I agree with Gabor - on the Armory resin set, the 'crease' between the curved fuselage side and the vertical side of the boat hull is too exagerated..... (Photo from Scalemodels.ru)

1368888093_23.jpg

day03_022.jpg

day03_021.jpg

It looks 'fixable' with a little judicious sanding though......

Strange that Armory moulded it to fit the Zvezda Mi-8T rather than the more correct Hobby Boss Mi-8MT.

If you use the Zvezda donor kit - you then have to make alterations to make it into a Mi-8MT (different exhausts, no APU, no bulge on engine cover etc)

I've got some nice interior shots of a Polish Mi-14PS that visited RIAT in 2012 - I'll post them later.....

Ken

It looks 'fixable' with a little judicious sanding though......

Strange that Armory moulded it to fit the Zvezda Mi-8T rather than the more correct Hobby Boss Mi-8MT.

Ken

Yes, it is possible to fix, but fixing an aftermarket correction set . . . when it is so expensive!?? I think the problem with the conversion set is that they made the boat hull too narrow in cross section, but will have to return and make some measurements of that. One would rather need to build up the width of the boat section to make the correction.

Zvezda is after all Russian and they must have thought that home market, is a home market. I am sure that the Zvezda kit is more readily available in Russia than the Hobby Boss one. I would vote for the HB kit, there is no question about that!

Hi Floggerman,

Thanks for the nice photos! The airframes here had all operational equipment taken out and three of them were converted for fire fighting. It is not clear why the Americans sent them back to Germany.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

I'm personally not conviced of that what Armory offers. Some parts look better, wheel struts for example. But overall, I would invest more effort in the Top Gun kit - of course this is also hard stuff but I believe that the overall result will look better.

I am sure that the Zvezda kit is more readily available in Russia than the Hobby Boss one. I would vote for the HB kit, there is no question about that!

One downside of using the HB Mi-8MT kit is that it has the domed particle separators - which the Mi-14 lacks.

But if you leave them off, then there is no intake behind them.....

Mi-18%20017.jpg

I fixed it on my Mi-18 conversion by drilling out the intake to the correct diameter and used metal press studs to represent the intake centrebody....

Mi-18%20020.jpg

Mi-18%20021.jpg

Not 100% accurate, but a blind man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice.... :whistle:

I'm personally not conviced of that what Armory offers. Some parts look better, wheel struts for example. But overall, I would invest more effort in the Top Gun kit - of course this is also hard stuff but I believe that the overall result will look better.

Agreed - but getting hold of a Top Gun resin kit is almost impossible......

Ken

One downside of using the HB Mi-8MT kit is that it has the domed particle separators - which the Mi-14 lacks.

I fixed it on my Mi-18 conversion by drilling out the intake to the correct diameter and used metal press studs to represent the intake centrebody....

Mi-18%20020.jpg

Not 100% accurate, but a blind man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice.... :whistle:/>

Ken

Hi Ken,

I like the idea!!!! :D :) :D :) :D

If you want I can measure for you the exact dimensions of it, I have both the center body of the TV2-117 and the TV3-117 engines. They are very different both in shape and size.

As to the correctness of the HB kit I would say that today it is the best available and then I would remind you that about 20 years ago we all said that the Academy MiG-21 and MiG-29 are the best available and we all know how "good" they are. So yes today it is the best available with many mistakes but I don't see any manufacturer at the moment getting into producing a Mi-8 (or Mi-17 (Mi-171 and all the Dolphin nosed versions) or a Mi-14) to the quality standard of Eduard's MiG-21MF or Great Wall Hobby's MiG-29. It lacks the appeal of a fighter jet and as such considered by manufacturers not to be a financial success story that brings back the investments and makes some (or a lot of) profit :( :( :( . So it is the HB for the moment and any conversion that is available for it.

Best regards

Gabor

Agreed - but getting hold of a Top Gun resin kit is almost impossible......

Ken

For the past couple of years some person from Poland I think has had a stall at the Scale Model World, and has had both versions of the Top Gun resin kit there. Yet again the cost and the not too brilliance of the mouldings put myself and a friend off buying the kit.

It is not clear why the Americans sent them back to Germany.
Probably because almost all of the Mi-14 are out of their lifetime and has to be grounded. The last ones flying are the newest ones, made for Poland in early 1980's.

I have some pictures of Polish Mi-14PS (not the current PL/R), if I won't forget, I'll post some of them here.

[edit]

Once it upload - here's a package of interior shots of the Mi-14PS #1013 in reduced resolution. It's a self-extracting archive, save it, and double click it to unpack:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41767723/Pictures/Haze/Mi-14.exe

In original resolution those look like this:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6307/dd291895.jpg

If anyone needs a photo in original, let me know, I'll upload it.

Also in 2007 Marcin Kowalski and I did a walk-around the #1016, also an Mi-14PS, I have those photos available if someone need a specific item.

Edited by Sundowner.pl
  • 2 weeks later...

The kit is now available from Hannants :- http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RAM72101

But still expensive though :woot.gif:/>

Ken

That is what I was thinking, until I realised that I have spent just about a similar amount to convert a Hawkeye into a Greyhound. I suppose if you really want to make this as a model and it is the only way, then you may hae to pay to do it.