Academy 1:48 EF-111A Raven

Starting the thread for my next build. I'll likely build this particular palne: 66-0030

66-0030_1.jpg

and this is what I'll be working with:

6iz2xj.jpg

-Paragon flaps and slats

-Gfactor exhausts

-SAC landing gear

-Resinart wheels

-Blackbox cockpit

You have a strange obsession with Desert Storm... I will follow!

obsession? I have no idea what you're talking about ;)/>

my first in progress pic. Since I'm depicting the aircraft during taxi the intake needs to be opened. So the intakes got some cutting, the result with some dry fitting:

inu1d1.jpg

Edited by Benner
  • 3 months later...

after a couple of other builds, i'm back to working on the Raven

I dry fitted the Paragon slat pieces, and found something I wasn't happy with. Comparing my previous Paragon set I used to build the Academy F-111E I discovered that there was severe shrinkage of the resin; it was nearly 1 cm shorter than the length it should be :(

2wdngw2.jpg

here's how the rear area looks. One wing has the Paragon parts on, I cut them into sections and filled the gaps to make the parts the right length. A few more days and I'll be done the other wing and I'll be able to close the rear fuselage.

25sa7mq.jpg

rear fuselage has been glued together, almost ready to glue the nose together too. The Black Box pit doesn't fit well with the SAC nose gear bay; I ended up removing the floor of the pit to fit the resin and wheel bay together.

2rmqm84.jpg

Benner,

Great progress so far.

Nice choice of A/C - How are you going to do the markings ? Did you find decals or are you going via a custom route?

Cheers,

David

It will be combination of existing sheets and custom work.

almost ready to put on the nose.

2gxp7pd.jpg

nose is glued on, mainly fixing the step between the fuselage halves. I cut the little dome off the back of the fin and replaced with some sheet styrene as I noticed in reference pics, that thing was removed and plated over.

102s0ts.jpg

Super sweet, bummer you had to stretch the flap/slat set-enough work fitting them as it is!

Saw Ernie's exhaust set in Colorado. At least he's around if you need to give him any adjustment.. :woot.gif:

With taxiing, you already fit some crew (if so, where'd you source them)?

And will you have the canopies open?

Nice with the opened intake doors, what of intake throats/engine fans?

Thanks for the show

Super sweet, bummer you had to stretch the flap/slat set-enough work fitting them as it is!

Saw Ernie's exhaust set in Colorado. At least he's around if you need to give him any adjustment.. :woot.gif:/>

With taxiing, you already fit some crew (if so, where'd you source them)?

And will you have the canopies open?

Nice with the opened intake doors, what of intake throats/engine fans?

Thanks for the show

I haven't really fit some crew, I've done it before with my Academy F-111E build so I'm confident there won't be major issues (I hope). With that build, I used Hasegawa pilot figues and will do so again with this build.

Yes I will have the canopies open; I've already cut them up (dry fit):

315h72r.jpg

At the moment, I'm adjusting the slats. They don't look perfect, but better than having them too short.

oice38.jpg

slats have been expanded, now i'm working on the flaps. I've been cutting the flaps where necessary and gluing on sheet styrene to expand the flap til it's the desired length and the hinges match with the wing.

2f0aaly.jpg

besides the shrinkage, some casting issues too:

2uz9j81.jpg

Edited by Benner