The words have to end 'ple' not 'dle' to be a genuine rhyme.

Vince

Out of interest what defines a rhyme? I'm from SE England, and by that accent it seems orange, cringe and hinge all rhyme, but I guess there's some reason why this doesn't count.

Jon

Right and left are derived from thus:

The right hand was the correct hand to use making it right.

The left hand was the one 'left over' making it left.

The Latin for left and right is 'Sinister' and 'Dexter' - leading to the word 'dexterous' for right-handed people - and the stigma of being possessed by the devil for left-handed, or sinister people.

The word 'decimate' stems from the Roman Legions practice of punishing those troops that had shown cowardice in battle by killing every tenth soldier.

Ken

.....and the only time alcohol is allowed into the House of Commons is when the Chancellor of the Exchequer is giving his Budget Speech

The Chancellor is the ONLY member of the Parliament officially permitted to take 'refreshment' during the delivery of a speech.

This includes alcoholic drinks.

So that means the Budget Speech is the ONLY Time that alcohol is allowed in the Chambers.

Not all Chancellors have taken advantage of that .

:thumbsup:

GORDON BROWN drank Highland water when he delivered his Budget speech. <_<

Edited by HOLMES

... And NO KING OR QUEEN { present one included} has ever entered the HOUSE OF COMMONS since 1642

when KING CHARLES I stormed in there with his soldiers and tried to arrest 5 MEMBERS OF THE PARLIAMENT who were there... :touche: :touche:

... And NO KING OR QUEEN { present one included} has ever entered the HOUSE OF COMMONS since 1642

when KING CHARLES I stormed in there with his soldiers and tried to arrest 5 MEMBERS OF THE PARLIAMENT who were there... :touche: :touche:

Is it a fact that in order for the monarch(s) to enter the House of Commons they have to receive an official invitation?.

George Washington was not the first president of the US, nor is/was Barack Obama the first black/Afro-American President

1st Presidents

Edited by #1 Greywolf

AHA!!! There ya have it, it all depends on who ya talk to...Ikipedia...is not always factual, and history is not always complete with all the facts, and at times omits that which a lot of historians consider too minor to elaborate further on.

Thanx Lodewijk for the input and clarification. Although not a president as we know the office Mr. Hanson did perform/provide necessary services in the 'tween years. I guess like a figurehead as a symbol order and validity, for want of a better description.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

AHA!!! There ya have it, it all depends on who ya talk to...Ikipedia...is not always factual, and history is not always complete with all the facts, and at times omits what which a lot of historians consider too minor to elaborate further on.

Thanx Lodewijk for the input and clarification. Although not a president as we know the office he did perform/provide vital services in the 'tween years.

Encyclopedias aren't always correct, printed or online. It's even worse when your textbooks have errors... :bandhead2: Always have to read things carefully and investigate if things seem fishy. He may not have been a president, but he did a valuable service for the United States.

A lagrange point is where, from a certain location, two other celestial satellites appear to be the same size, even if they are actually not.

For instance, the earth is at a lagrange point between the sun and the moon- vastly different sizes, but, to us on earth, they are identical.

(PRO TIP: Take my work for it. Looking directly at the sun is ill-advised)

Also a ZZ-Top song. No relation. I think.

A lagrange point is where, from a certain location, two other celestial satellites appear to be the same size, even if they are actually not.

I thought the 'Langrangian Point' (in simple terms) was the point between two bodies where their respective gravitational pull was equal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point

Ken

Is it a fact that in order for the monarch(s) to enter the House of Commons they have to receive an official invitation?.

That's right Clif.

No Monarch has every entered it since Charles I .

The Monarch does INDDED needs to be officially invited to the CHAMBERS OF HOUSE COMMONS.

That is why on STATE OPENING OF THE PARLIAMENT , THE GENTLEMAN USHER OF THE BLACK ROD, shortened to BLACK ROD is sent by

HER MAJESTY to invite the MPs to go to HER and listen to HER MAJESTY'S Stare opening speech.

Did you know that as BLACK ROD approaches the Chambers of House of Commons, the doors are wide open and the MPs can see him walking down with his BLACK ROD in hand..as he APPROACHES the door they are slammed shut in his face, whereupon he has to knock 3 times before they are opened. And he can then bid them . :whistle:

Edited by HOLMES

BLACK ROD is usually chosen from those men who have retired in senior rank from the ROYAL AIR FORCE, ROYAL NAVY, THE BIRTISH ARMY as well as YEOMAN OF THE GARTER and of course those with Royal blood or connections

I THINK presently its a Lieutenant that holds the position...

Theere was also a Vicount who held the position. :thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES

. . . In INDIA grasping ones ears signifies repentance or sincerity. :whistle:

(mothers often do this saying the words "tobah tobah" To their naughty child holding their own ears by their lobes)

Edited by HOLMES

Not sure how 'little known' this is, but I just found out FWIW:

The basis of all modern, secure wireless communications (cellular phone network, etc.) derives from a jamming-resistant radio-guidance system for early US Navy torpedos designed by legendary screen beauty Hedy Lamarr, who had a profound engineering talent as well as drop-dead gorgeousness.

Hedy_Lamarr.61135816_large.jpg

Are you sure that wasn't Hedley?

William Hitler, a nephew of Adolf Hitler , was is the US NAVY during WWII.

He changed his name after the war.

I think there was at least 1 German born pilot in the RAF during WWII, flew typhoons AFAIK.

----------------

I think there was at least 1 German born pilot in the RAF during WWII, flew typhoons AFAIK.

----------------

That would be KLAUS HUGO ADAM

(Born in Berlin)

Pilot iin 609 squadron.

Now he is SIR KENNETH ADAM

his brother also born in BERLIN flew in 2nd TAF. :coolio:

Edited by HOLMES

India experiences 6 seasons in a year:

Winter, Spring,Summer, Autumn, summer Monsoon and Winter Monsoon.

All of India has only one time zone. :whistle:

Southern California has only two seasons Dry summer and Wet summer with a transition period, you know it's in transition when the Smog turns green.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Did you know that many Indian wives will never say their husbands name out loud as its a sign of disrespect.

When addressing him, the wife will use several indirect references such as "ji"(pronounced gee) , or "hello" or "look here" or even refer him to the

father of the child. :wasntme:

Did you know that many Indian wives will never say their husbands name out loud as its a sign of disrespect.

When addressing him, the wife will use several indirect references such as "ji"(pronounced gee) , or "hello" or "look here" or even refer him to as the

father of the child. :wasntme: