A while back there were some rumblings about the HRZ possibly getting ex-Luftwaffe F-4s... has there been any further on this, or was it another of those pipe dream-type things?

Edited by Litvyak

I remember reading that too ... I think it was even mentioned in an issue of Combat Aircraft ... It may still happen, some thngs just take awhile ...

-Gregg

From a modeller's perspective if nothing else, I hope it happens - more Phantom schemes to model!

1280px-HRZ_MiG21_2009_ZLZ1.jpg

An F-4F would look great in this scheme!

Unfortunately no. Our DoD has financing issues like every other AF in the region but we have decided we will recycle our existing MiG's well into the next decade or so. They will undergo extensive repairs and upgrades in near future by Ukrainian or Romanian companies like they did before and nothing new or second-hand will be procured any time soon... the fate of poor small AF's is not very bright I'm afraid.

Umm... There are not very many airworthy Phantoms in Germany, though...

This is what happened to most of them:

http://www.flugrevue.de/fm/3/thumbnails/HWT5.jpg.1106513.jpg

http://www.flugrevue.de/fm/3/thumbnails/HWT7.jpg.1106515.jpg

The remainder has been assigned to museums or will serve as gate guards.

Edited by Lancer512

Even if the deal would go through, I'm quite sure HRZ would reatin Luftwaffe grey camo and use low-vis roundels. But I have to agree - current HRZ MiG-21 camo would certianly look great on Phantom.

Litvyak - I have a few spare HRZ roundels and tactical numbers in 1:72 if you'd like.

From a modeller's perspective if nothing else, I hope it happens - more Phantom schemes to model!

1280px-HRZ_MiG21_2009_ZLZ1.jpg

An F-4F would look great in this scheme!

Even if the deal would go through, I'm quite sure HRZ would reatin Luftwaffe grey camo and use low-vis roundels. But I have to agree - current HRZ MiG-21 camo would certianly look great on Phantom.

Litvyak - I have a few spare HRZ roundels and tactical numbers in 1:72 if you'd like.

Since this would be a whif......why not throw on some AA-8 Aphids in place of the Sidewinders?

:woot.gif: