Mighty 1:32 Tamiya F-15E Strike Eagle

Good evening folks,

For those of you who are interested, I began work on the Mighty 1/32 Tamiya Strike Eagle. I'm thinkin' that every kerosene converter out there should build at least one of these monsters at least once in a lifetime! :rolleyes:/> The first thing I did before starting this build was thoroughly read Geedubelyer's infamous Strike Eagle WIP... I hope he doesn't mind if I borrow an idea or two :thumbsup:/>

Astonishingly, there isn't a whole lot of aftermarkets available for the Strike Eagle, so this build will push my scratch-building skills to the max! Either way I am up for a great challenge and I hope you guys can help me out along the way as you've done in my past build threads. Another thing I might add is that this build could really take a looooong looooooooong time! My AMS is worse than ever since it has taken me almost a month to complete the nose gear dry.gif Granted that spring clean up and yard work seems to be getting between me and the Strike Eagle more than I anticipated as well....

When I received the kit, at first I thought Boeing had sent me a 1:1 scale Mudhen :P/>

BcLNmwJ.jpg

A couple of essential reading materials.

zjBgtYa.jpg

I quickly discovered that there are no aftermarket decals available.... anywhere! If any of you happen to read this thread and could spare the Astra decals sheet 3201B I would make it worth yer while. As of right now, I did manage to find these two sets, but they do not include data stencils. I am months away from decals, so hopefully something will surface by then dry.gif

DQB3oNJ.jpg

These are some aftermarket that will come in handy later on...

If3yrXe.jpg

Here is a necessary tool when scratch building microscopic parts.... I don't know how I managed to build any models at all without this measuring device!

LbqNWIq.jpg

I plan to build many of the mini models of the kit, before diving into the major fuselage components... Here's a little mod i got from reading Guy's build. First, slice the rubber tire so it sits flat, then add a small piece of plastic to give a bulged/weighted appearance to the kit wheel :D/

OnsEcJE.jpg

Here's the final result of the nose wheel after painting...

nSur4et.jpg

Started adding the plumbing and some other details to the nose gear. Basically, I look at the pictures in Jake's book, then decide how to replicate what I see using all sorts of plastic strips and round stock etc.

XzPIVhX.jpg

Edited by JesniF-16

This part took forever.... To shorten the gap between the top of the wheel and the bottom of the oleo strut. The piston was made from Inconel 625 series 3/32" TIG welding wire I borrowed from work. I had to make the piston longer since I shortened the axle fork 2-3 mm. Added the shimmy dampener using round stock along w/ some flattened lead wire for the mounting brackets.

2kmQINI.jpg

U22gWsP.jpg

dHf1Cbh.jpg

ZSq8Hek.jpg

Here is the end result of the nose gear all said and done. I am pleased with the final product. I added the electrical conduit after major painting of the nose gear was finished. The worst part was painting the those little wiring brackets :bandhead2:/> I really like how the weighted nose wheel sits!

v9NCSke.jpg

jhMXhXX.jpg

RuZynXn.jpg

C6XbDhJ.jpg

The only thing that bugs me is that I have no data stencils for the landing gears.... Hopefully I can track down a set of those Astra decals.... soon! Now it's on to the main landing gears. Don't wait up for me, since it'll probably be a few weeks before I complete them. But until then cheers and thanks for looking! All feedback & critique is welcome because I always strive to get better :cheers:/>

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

Nice start..... Been working on/off mine for 7 years now... I'm on vacation this coming week.Going to pull out all the tricks to try to get some paint on it...

Thanks Scot. 7 years! That scares me :o/> I'm shooting for around this time next year :pray:/>

/Jesse

EXCELLENT! One of my favorite modelers doing a future build! Your work (and photography) is also excellent, so keep it coming so that I have another reference, although I'll be doing the Israeli version when the time comes.

Jesse, I don't have the decals you mention, but I do have a few Two Bob's decals (and others) kicking around that might be of some use, so just email me if you need something specific.

Model on! :thumbsup:

Cheers Jesse- fantastic stuff here! Very good WIP, both the descriptions as well as the photography. Can I ask what part of WI you are from? Feel free to PM me if you do not want to mention it on the open forum.

Excellent stuff!

popcorn.gif/>

:cheers:/>

EXCELLENT! One of my favorite modelers doing a future build! Your work (and photography) is also excellent, so keep it coming so that I have another reference, although I'll be doing the Israeli version when the time comes.

Jesse, I don't have the decals you mention, but I do have a few Two Bob's decals (and others) kicking around that might be of some use, so just email me if you need something specific.

Model on! 70.gif

Thanks Chuck, can't wait to see that Israeli F-15 camo w/ some salt weathering :thumbsup:/>

Cheers Jesse- fantastic stuff here! Very good WIP, both the descriptions as well as the photography. Can I ask what part of WI you are from? Feel free to PM me if you do not want to mention it on the open forum.

Excellent stuff!

Cheers daywalker! I'm up in Rothschild, city of trees.

Excellent progress so far as expected. I will be watching this very closelly

Glad to have you aboard nikosmeta :)/>

Hey Jesse - I was wondering where you've been hiding out! Good start on the nose gear. Looks fantastic. I love the mud hen - I'll be eagerly awaiting each installment!

Hey Mike, I'm still kicking. Just busy with yard work more than I care to be!

Always good to see another Jesse build -even if it is in the rolleyes.gif scale! Well, "...if it all goes South, they can bury you in it!"

Seriously though, this will be the hot thread of the Summer! 70.gif

rofl.gif Thanks for the encouragement ChippyWho! Yeah I'll have my lady bury me in the Bunker Buster box dry.gif

Alright!! Been wondering what you have install for us this time - and a good subject! This'll be an excellent build - I can feel it in my waters!

popcorn.gif

MH

MH- I wanted to build something with a more flashy paint scheme, but I just couldn't resist the Mudhen :cheers:/>

/Jesse

Ok....now's as good a time as any to chuck it in and move on to the Old Folks Home...after seeing what Jess is doing, I realize I'm waaaaaaay past my prime (if I ever had one). This going to be some kind of ultra fantastic build; Jess. I'll just get the Popcorn, soda, and a comfy recliner and sit back and watch. All my modeling stuff will probably go on the auction blocks real soon.

Hi Jesse;

Great to see you back at the bench. That vernier will definitely come in handy.

Your build will help me deal with my modellers' withdrawal syndrome over the summer. rolleyes.gif

John

Hey John. Oh you mean that measuring tool has a name?

Glad to see it here as well. You are doing great and no problem on long build time. We like the in depth builds wink.gif/>

Mike

Thanks for your support Mike, I'm gonna need it!

Ok....now's as good a time as any to chuck it in and move on to the Old Folks Home...after seeing what Jess is doing, I realize I'm waaaaaaay past my prime (if I ever had one). This going to be some kind of ultra fantastic build; Jess. I'll just get the Popcorn, soda, and a comfy recliner and sit back and watch. All my modeling stuff will probably go on the auction blocks real soon.

:rofl:/> Thank you Clif... The modeling Gods would never allow you to sell yer stuff.... They'll make you build toy airplanes even if you move into an old folks home :P/>

fantastic work of nose gear.

this kit/airplane is a monster

Thanks viperjoe! Yep, I'm still awestruck by the size of the fuselage parts!

Yaay, another big Eagle build to follow. :yahoo:

Neat start on your Mudhen Jesse. I'll follow along avidly and get my modelling kicks from your build until my work slows down. I hope my earlier build gives you plenty of ideas. :thumbsup:

So, how do the groundcrew get air into your tyres...........? :whistle: I know, you're going to add the tyre valve later right? ;)

I like how your nose gear looks bro but it's worth noting that Airforce gear does n't get as chipped as Navy gear. ^_^

Keep at it Jesse, this will be awesome. :salute:

Holy crap that front landing gear is sweet.

Thanks for your interest sharkey :D/>

Great work!! I love the nose gear. Very convincing.

Jake

Thank you Jake, if anyone knows what a Strike Eagle nose gear looks like, it's you!

the tire trick is amazing!

how about these stencils:

http://aircraftresou...32052V1/00.shtm

Thanks a lot Karl. Been trying to find these stencils, but no dice dry.gif

Promising start Jesse. Will follow this with interest. Already bookmarked w00t.gif

Patrick

Patrick, good to hear from you, hope you are doing great!

Yaay, another big Eagle build to follow. yahoo.gif

Neat start on your Mudhen Jesse. I'll follow along avidly and get my modelling kicks from your build until my work slows down. I hope my earlier build gives you plenty of ideas. 70.gif

So, how do the groundcrew get air into your tyres...........? whistle.gif I know, you're going to add the tyre valve later right? wink.gif

I like how your nose gear looks bro but it's worth noting that Airforce gear does n't get as chipped as Navy gear. happy.gif

Keep at it Jesse, this will be awesome. salute.gif

Hello Guy! You don't miss a beat do ya? I planned on doing it for the main wheels, but now that I've been busted I will look into it.... I suppose I may have overdone the chipping a little and i will definitely keep that in mind for the main gears. After studying the gears, I just can't believe how close you got the details Guy... I have reference books, but it's easier to just pull up yer old thread for accurate reference :whistle:/> Cheers

Hi!

Impressive start with those gears!

Cheers!

Rom

Cheers Rom, :cheers:/>

Thanks for your interest guys! Making lot's of good progress on the main gears. Just gotta wire em up, then I will post some pics.

/Jesse