Mighty 1:32 Tamiya F-15E Strike Eagle

Love it!

I've got that same kit.

I'll be watching this build with interest! Thanks.

Thank you thank you Milo. Hopefully this thread can be useful to you....

Jesse, great start and welcome to 32nd! Gear looks great, your hydraulic and electrical lines look very convincing.

And congrats on your "acceptance", Chuck just let me know.

70.gif

Marcel

I appreciate that Marcel! I have yer Strike Eagle thread bookmarked for reference 70.gif And thanks about the acceptance letter.... I am very pumped about it :woot.gif:/>

/Jesse

Good morning folks, hope you're all enjoying the weekend.

I decided to post some progress... It may not seem like a whole lot, but from my point of view it was a huge amount of work and really tested my patience at times! Lots of small pieces of styrene, some lead wire and a few four letter words were used :explode:/>

Finally both of the main landing gears were detailed and now I can begin the painting process.... Reference pics were carefully studied, along with Geedub's build log. I even added the air valve to the tire rim just for Geedub's satisfaction :P/>

HnptLRh.jpg

I purchased a set of Alliance Modelworks various bolt hex heads, which is a must when doing this sort of detailing... After all how would the crew be able to take the tires off if there are no bolts to be wrenched upon?

0Zz9zDv.jpg

cAlPB3y.jpg

co7zQEd.jpg

I05gLWT.jpg

41EqZzP.jpg

The MLG's are just "roughed-in" and I think they will look much better after some paint.... Thanks for looking :cheers:/>

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

Wow, huge work on those legs! Llooking forward to seing them painted.

70.gif

Marcel

Thank you Marcel! Hopefully I will have em done within a week rolleyes.gif

Just read thru the whole thread ....

Impressive work.

Nice jaw-dropping.gifjaw-dropping.gif

Thanks for the support Holmes :cheers:/>

Duuuuude! I was wondering what you were working on now..gonna be great!

dkobayashi- Now you know, the same one you just finished, but a little bigger :)/> and thanks for your interest...

/Jesse

Hi ladies & gents, time for another update... I finally completed the work on the mlg's :yahoo:/> In due time I may opt to add more weathering to the landing gears depending upon which aircraft I decide to model... Looks like it will most likely be a 336th TFS with some sort of nose art, since that is all I have for decals as of right now.

Starting with the kit wheels... I sliced the rubber tire and added small bits of plastic to give a bulged appearance to the wheels. I will weather the rubber treads later....

ac8fcbba-8c08-479f-9897-d76370074dd3_zps5fa2129b.jpg

The small red placard was a chopped up decal from my spares box and note the air valve has been added....

8d5ed2e7-0078-4c5c-9095-839a48a7cc4d_zpsc5a7ef67.jpg

Not sure if the red paint stripe is on all the Mudhen rims, but I have added it to these for a bit more interest... Once again this is just a thin sliced red decal from my spares box. Brake dust was added using Tamiya weathering sets...

0b2f8e87-c996-4e1c-b6c6-ccd291dc15b6_zps1f63601b.jpg

The inner brake drum is painted up, although not much will be seen once the rim is installed.

866006f6-812d-44dd-b8d6-dc2e9c726860_zps51db2141.jpg

82d1bb9b-f4f9-4442-b704-e1df8a1494f5_zpsa7ae2134.jpg

Here's the MLG all painted up, hopefully it looks a bit more like the real deal w/ the added scratch built bits and pieces....

09Jh4fL.jpg

I opted to hand paint the oleo strut chrome silver..... I might try adding some shiny foil as Geedub did on his Beagle. By doing this there would be a small seam, but I think it would look more realistic dry.gif

9tBAmvu.jpg

The oleo scissor link has been opened up to add the brake lines accurately....

wDcch58.jpg

The hub cap is painted with Alclad aluminum.... this stuff looks very much like real aluminum!

7eC1cyo.jpg

pam8TOn.jpg

This build is really gonna take a long time, so thanks for your patience dry.gif I plan to detail the gear bays, but first I'm gonna move on with the nozzles and burner cans.... I thought long and hard about what to do about the kit burner cans that offer two monster seams right down both sides expl.gif/> I could purchase the Flightpath PE cans and exhausts, but I would really like to save myself $70 and a whole lotta headaches BANGHEAD2.jpg/> Plus when the FP set is finished there is still a visible seam line. Any ideas? As always, comments and critique are appreciated!

Thanks for looking and please stay hydrated, it's hot out there in my neck of the woods 271.gif/>

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

This build is really gonna take a long time, so thanks for your patience dry.gif I plan to detail the gear bays, but first I'm gonna move on with the nozzles and burner cans.... I thought long and hard about what to do about the kit burner cans that offer two monster seams right down both sides expl.gif/> I could purchase the Flightpath PE cans and exhausts, but I would really like to save myself $70 and a whole lotta headaches BANGHEAD2.jpg/> Plus when the FP set is finished there is still a visible seam line. Any ideas? As always, comments and critique are appreciated!

Thanks for looking and please stay hydrated, it's hot out there in my neck of the woods 271.gif/>

/Jesse

This is one awesome build so far!

For the cans, you might want to try the pour and dump method that some have used for intakes. I tried it on my Tamiya F-15 and it worked a treat.

Mark

Wow, Jesse! You're off to a flying start and you've raised the bar sky high!

I don't ever recall anybody improving so much with every build as you have, I'm thoroughly impressed and I'll stay glued to your build thread :D

Jesse, the wheels look great! For the exhausts, have you considered the Two Mikes set? that's the way I intend to go when I build another Eagle. They are, I believe, also the correct length, which the kit ones are not.

:thumbsup:/>

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

This is one awesome build so far!

For the cans, you might want to try the pour and dump method that some have used for intakes. I tried it on my Tamiya F-15 and it worked a treat.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I actually had that thought, but wondered if the acrylic latex would fill in the details :hmmm:/> Either way it's better than those 2 ugly seams!!!!! As of now, I will give it a shot.... Maybe I could practice on some cans from my spare's box :thumbsup:/>

Wow, Jesse! You're off to a flying start and you've raised the bar sky high!

I don't ever recall anybody improving so much with every build as you have, I'm thoroughly impressed and I'll stay glued to your build thread biggrin.gif

Well thank you Janne smile.gif Yer comment means a lot to me! I admit that i have picked up a few pointers from yer very own threads sir! BTW I hope those babies grow up fast, so you can build something again :cheers:/>

Jesse, the wheels look great! For the exhausts, have you considered the Two Mikes set? that's the way I intend to go when I build another Eagle. They are, I believe, also the correct length, which the kit ones are not.

70.gif/>

Marcel

Hi Marcel and thanks for commenting! I have the TM set, which only includes the nozzles.... which look to be the same as the kit parts, but are the correct length as you already stated. The inner burner cans is where those 2 huge seams run all the way down the sides!!!! As gb madcat has recommended the pour and dump method for this issue, which I will put to the test in the near future :thumbsup:/>

/Jesse

Hi Jesse, Things are looking very nice with your build. IF I could offer a suggestion on the burner cans, what I do is assemble them with Tamiya white putty, leaving enough so that a little ozzes out of the seam to the inside. Let is dry for at least a day, then carefully remove the excess with tools. I use scrapper and dull blades. Then I finish it off with a light wipe of Tamiya lacquer thinner or other diluted Lacquer thinner . Don't work it too much!! No worry if you nick the exhaust and it doesn't have to be perfect. Probably the most important part is to lay on thin coats of a good primer over the seams to seal the filler and build up over the seam. I have also used future to seal the seams and it works to, but I favor primer. Wish I had some pics to show you, but I don't...Sorry. Hope this helps.

Hi Jesse, Things are looking very nice with your build. IF I could offer a suggestion on the burner cans, what I do is assemble them with Tamiya white putty, leaving enough so that a little ozzes out of the seam to the inside. Let is dry for at least a day, then carefully remove the excess with tools. I use scrapper and dull blades. Then I finish it off with a light wipe of Tamiya lacquer thinner or other diluted Lacquer thinner . Don't work it too much!! No worry if you nick the exhaust and it doesn't have to be perfect. Probably the most important part is to lay on thin coats of a good primer over the seams to seal the filler and build up over the seam. I have also used future to seal the seams and it works to, but I favor primer. Wish I had some pics to show you, but I don't...Sorry. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion ghatherly :thumbsup:/> That is a very good idea as well.... If I don't succeed with the dump/pour method, I will definitely try yer way. The main reason for doing the dump/pour method is simply because I'm feeling a bit lazy dry.gif

/Jesse

WOW Jesse! That is one HELLUVA start! Looking at the MLG, I know this bird will be top notch!!!

Thank you my friend, I have high hopes for this Beagle ;)/>

Hi Jesse !

Beautiful legs. Yesterday i get tamiyas f-15c as a birthday present. wow.. hell of a beast. I fell in love with that kit w00t.gif

Patrick

Thank you Patrick! I will very much be looking forward to yer 32nd F-15C build 271.gif

/Jesse

Good evening boys & girls....

I wish I had more time to work on the Mudhen, but the nice weather here just won't allow it dry.gif Plus, the work on the nozzles can be a bit tedious... so I can only handle short sessions at a time!!!

Here is the Two Mikes resin exhaust set.... with the Eduard exterior set to add some depth to the nozzles.

TWBPH0X.jpg

So far I've added 75 pieces per nozzle... and there's a lot more bits to add!!!

AQiUHjU.jpg

I opted to use the Eduard PE for the push rods that connect to the linkages (sorry about the poor terminology)... For the linkages, I stuck with the kit parts, which look a lot better than the Eduard linkages. I thought about cutting each and every push rod out of round stock, but decided that life's just too short for all that work tongue.gif/>

fq1Qvm6.jpg

At this stage I will paint the nozzles (inside & out) before adding the rest of the parts.

o4SS4T3.jpg

jbQaZG1.jpg

Edited by JesniF-16
replace photobucket images

As you can see, the kits inner burner cans will have a huge seam down each side!

9IMAToq.jpg

84ZpKK6.jpg

The latex pour & dump method which is usually used on intakes was used on my burner cans. I was feeling much too lazy to putty the seam and then try to clean up the mess.... So here's how it turned out:

HgFDvAU.jpg

I'm hoping that after soot and filters are added, the seam line will be difficult to see dry.gif

K3Wg0cA.jpg

I knew that the nozzles were gonna be a lot of work, which is why I decided to do them now, while I still have lots of love for this build!!! It'll be nice to have some of these "mini models" completed for when it's time to install them later on rolleyes.gif/> Thanks for stopping in 271.gif/>

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

Those nozzles and added detail are amazing Jesse! The seam lines in the flame tube are a bit or a worry, however, so I highly recommend a re-dip into the latex. This should knock down the seam a bit more and, as you've mentioned already, after adding staining with soot, you'll never see it.

BTW, Your photography is excellent and second to none! :thumbsup:

Edited by chuck540z3

Those nozzles and added detail are amazing Jesse! The seam lines in the flame tube are a bit or a worry, however, so I highly recommend a re-dip into the latex. This should knock down the seam a bit more and, as you've mentioned already, after adding staining with soot, you'll never see it.

BTW, Your photography is excellent and second to none! 70.gif

Thank you very much Chuck rolleyes.gif Yeah, I already have 3 layers of paint in the cans... I'm afraid to do another coat because the paint is getting pretty thick dry.gif As for the photography, I learned from the master himself :thumbsup:/>

Holy cow, awesome nozzles jesse ! A real highlight !

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, glad you like all the work to this point.... I figure about 45 more bits per nozzle to add yet :doh:/> I really couldn't imagine building the Flightpath nozzle kit, that would be a real challenge guys!

Wow, really amazing work detailing the nozzles, it really sets them apart!

Good idea to get rid of those seams by dipping them in latex, once they are dark, weatherd and closed the seam will be invisible.

:thumbsup:

Marcel