Mighty 1:32 Tamiya F-15E Strike Eagle

Awesome, fantastic work on those seats, Jesse!!! It's amazing what a little extra effort can do to those kit seats. If you have the crew into the seats, might I suggest you arm the seats' ejection system? That is if the model will be in flight. If it is taxiing, the seats would still be safed. Also, that tiny little hoop guy on the left side of the seat, next to the crews' legs should be green.

Jake

Awesome, fantastic work on those seats, Jesse!!! It's amazing what a little extra effort can do to those kit seats. If you have the crew into the seats, might I suggest you arm the seats' ejection system? That is if the model will be in flight. If it is taxiing, the seats would still be safed. Also, that tiny little hoop guy on the left side of the seat, next to the crews' legs should be green.

Jake

Thank you Jake, I appreciate yer feedback! Now, finally after you brought these things to my attention, I decided to read pages 42-45 :doh:/> This Mudhen will be taxiing, but it's good to know what that lever is actually used for :lol:/> And that "hoop" appeared to be silver, but after further study, it does appear to have a greenish tint to it!!! Thanks for those very helpful insights :cheers:/>

/Jesse

Hi Jes,

I looks to me that the F-15 seats are the same as the one I'm using for my A-10 build, other than a few painting differences. If so, are there "blanking plates" on the F-15 seat next to the yellow ejection handles? Here's a few pics that "billb" submitted in my thread for reference. Although I haven't made them yet, I'm definitely going to add them before the end of my build out of tape or something similar...

Blanking Plates

F-15 ACES-II

A-10 ACES-II

BTW, Your seats look terrific. How did you do the nice thin stripes on the ejection handles?

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi Jes,

I looks to me that the F-15 seats are the same as the one I'm using for my A-10 build, other than a few painting differences. If so, are there "blanking plates" on the F-15 seat next to the yellow ejection handles? Here's a few pics that "billb" submitted in my thread for reference. Although I haven't made them yet, I'm definitely going to add them before the end of my build out of tape or something similar...

Blanking Plates

F-15 ACES-II

A-10 ACES-II

BTW, Your seats look terrific. How did you do the nice thin stripes on the ejection handles?

Hi Chuck... I will be adding the blanking plates when I get a chance... I'm with you on this one, I have some very thin black plastic card type material that came with one of my welding hoods and I think it will be the cat's meow for this detail.... Let me know if you want a small square of it, would be happy to send it to ya... And i'm glad you like the seats, thank you... For the thin strips on the pull handles, I simply drew the lines with a 005 black Micron pen from Hobby Lobby or Michaels :thumbsup:/>

Lovely work on the seats Jesse.

That sheepskin cover effect looks da bomb. 70.gif

Hello Guy, thanks for yer kind feedback! I would have to say that I am pleased with the seat covers, the Apoxy Sculpt really is good stuff....

One more thing guys, the electrical box on the starboard side of the pilot seat has to go!!!! That box was supplied by Eduard and quite frankly it looks like crap dry.gif I will scratch build the box myself and I'll show it to you when the painting of the tub is complete... Thanks again guys :)/>

/Jesse

Jesse, coming along very nice. I'm glad I can follow along at several places because for some reason I can't get in Z5 to see your work.

Thanks for checking in Mike rolleyes.gif/> Yeah I sure wish ATT would pull their heads out of their bums dry.gif

Hello kids, I managed to find a couple of hours to fix a few things that have been brought to my attention... The summer's really coming to an end quickly so I've been enjoying the water and the outdoors as much as I can before it's too late!

Chuck pointed out the blanking plates for the ejection seat pull handles... So here's my quick fix... Rather than try to shape plastic card, I decided to just use Micro Klear glue to fill the gap for the handles....

4f1dda3c-0a1d-45d6-b3f2-caff38b9edf3_zps3a8cf1e7.jpg

And here, the makeshift black plates are painted up, looks alright huh? I also painted the "hoops" on the right side of the seats with a mix of pale green & aluminum, as per Jake's request..

905e1529-1f34-4588-a4de-4f7950568cd7_zps9e835f53.jpg

As F-15ERJ145 from Z-5 brought to my attention, the "funky box" was replaced by my own scratch work... The Tamiya tape was cut to shape to represent the cover & I also added the Archer rivets to represent the access screws.

a01a56a1-1ecc-45a6-a6b3-0c56412141ac_zpsd4d297cc.jpg

For my next build I think I will hand paint the cockpit base color, since using my AB just creates a dusty mess when trying to spraying in those nooks and crannies BANGHEAD2.jpg/>

5371921a-c648-4649-b3d9-8c03cdde9332_zps4a43823f.jpg

'til next time 271.gif/>

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16
  • 1 month later...

Good evening folks!

It appears that all of my WIP posts survived the outage, phew :thumbsup:/> Here's my latest progress which many of you probably seen over at Z5...

The tub has finally been detail painted... Which is probably the most challenging thing for me. The placards are random decals chopped from my ever growing stash of decal sheets...

b7ac9968-b8ee-4f46-845f-5381f2eba977_zps82528dd8.jpg

749708d3-f37c-44b4-9a9d-4d0a5b1fc185_zps3c335418.jpg

After I had finished painting the tub, I realized that a minor detail was missed... Researching the Modern Eagle Guide I found that there is a 8mm AVTR tape deck is located to the left of the WSO in front of the throttle quadrant. After further reading, I found that the tape deck was added in 1995 and later. Here's the scratch-built tape deck with some scribing work and a couple of Archer rivets to add some interest...

1386f0f8-e240-4235-9f38-4f61bdcaf6c0_zps9d38d5f9.jpg

Here is the tape deck painted & installed just in front of the throttle quadrant...

cb1cb06c-b9af-4af8-8817-f0f9877e1fa3_zps9cd915e1.jpg

Many shots of the office to this date, keeping in mind that the crew still needs to be painted and fitted with belts and hoses!!!

Front office shot #1

96b9b7be-7eb0-4625-8774-b510e88b77a6_zpsaff0b2c1.jpg

5dca46d1-f476-4897-95bf-5be413d88d3b_zps0dc2fa31.jpg

front office shot #3 To the right of the pilot seat the area get's very busy! i still plan to throw in a few maps to fill the void in that compartment where the map light is clipped on...

23d8114b-07a8-49bf-999e-0288bf52ac0b_zpsa18dc14c.jpg

Here is the WSO office. The coaming still needs to be detailed and modified as well...

f256f1ea-e451-4b5a-bd82-9ccac83afd2b_zps9698dae5.jpg

The bulkhead painted and dry-fitted.

dc63db04-0fed-407f-9039-2e239380ff94_zps5055244d.jpg

There's that tape deck again...

81f32668-0eb1-4722-ae83-4c42dbc5e050_zps550a8d4c.jpg

04d660c2-d983-40ca-9017-aa22fb3704ab_zps3fa2f5c7.jpg

The crew has been fitted, glued & I've already begun the painting process... I scratched that O2 hose connection thingy so that I can run the hoses to their hook-ups later on... I will paint the figures at this stage then add life preservers and belts after fitting them into their seats...

7e9e71dd-46de-472f-a4af-c4845cf7f741_zpscf987ac9.jpg

Workin on getting the crew painted and after that they will be fitted into their bang seats.... Then come the seat belts and O2 hoses! The problem is that much of my time will be dedicated to installing new counter-tops for swmbo :(/> sigh.... Thanks for yer interest and all comments & critiques are appreciated!

/Jesse

I see another killer magazine article coming Jesse. The only thing that bugs me is that your photography is now way better than mine. I need to improve my set-up.

The seats and office are, well, PERFECT! :thumbsup:

Edited by chuck540z3

Hello Jesse, just enjoyed looking through your posts. Great Eduard detailing to the burner cans and sure glad you went away from gold. Ejection seat covers look on the nose. I must confess I am surprised to see you using the kit cockpit, being a self-confessed sufferer of AMS. :D/>

Keep up the good work.

Regards

John

I see another killer magazine article coming Jesse. The only thing that bugs me is that your photography is now way better than mine. I need to improve my set-up.

The seats and office are, well, PERFECT! 70.gif

Thanks for the huge compliments Chuck! Bottom line is that these photos aren't as sharp and crisp as yours, but they're not bad for the camera that I have :)/> That ugly mess of a photo booth is set up in my den and always ready for use... it's convenient, but the Mrs. is always threatening to tear it down dry.gif

Hey Jesse, the cockpit is really perfect! I really like the IP's and can't wait to see further updates!

Kind regards, Sven.

Thanks for the warm comments Sven!

Looking fantastic! Great detail painting in the cockpit!

Thanks Mike! Sorry I never did comment on yer Viper, but if you read this, the have glass finish turned out superb :thumbsup:/>

Hello Jesse, just enjoyed looking through your posts. Great Eduard detailing to the burner cans and sure glad you went away from gold. Ejection seat covers look on the nose. I must confess I am surprised to see you using the kit cockpit, being a self-confessed sufferer of AMS. biggrin.gif/>

Keep up the good work.

Regards

John

Hi John, thanks for your kind words! I opted for the kit tub mainly because the pilots will be in and the canopy will be closed... I also researched the BB offering and at the time I felt that the molded in hoses would be difficult to remove and was looking at saving a buck... Maybe in hind sight it would've been better to buy the resin pit, but as you can see i'm in way too deep by now ;)/>

/Jesse

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a small update. I wanted to take the time to do a little step by step on how I go about painting the pilots. This painting process is basically the steps I use for any & all of the detail painting which is mostly done with a paint brush. The colors may or may not be 100% accurate, but I simply look at the reference pics and choose a color that looks the part. Hopefully the cockpit build hasn't been too painfully slow, but I had to attempt this detailing work just once to see what it was all about. On future builds I may never opt to go this deep into detailing a kit office ever again! Resin aftermarket tubs with no pilots is definitely the way to go! That said, here are the little green men....

The base colors are applied in Model Master enamel, followed by the acrylic gloss coat.

89304f17-8920-4410-aa26-5b9d932ad88f_zpsa2b17672.jpg

Next i will pick out certain details with enamels via the paint brush. In this step i will touch the details that don't touch one another and if I muck up, I simply clean up with mineral spirits. When I finished with these particular details I added another acrylic gloss coat... I will be adding buckles and straps for the seatbelts tomorrow after the pilot's are glued to their assigned bang seats... I think when it's finished not much of the molded straps will be visible.

cdc1a10f-810e-4506-a895-dc47347d52a4_zps38fbc719.jpg

At this stage, pretty much all of the details have been picked out... The helmets have been completed and this is where I add the black pastel wash and follow it up with yet another acrylic gloss coat.

fb59aaed-9287-43ec-ba2e-a6ab49907f42_zps2f26ba17.jpg

Next it was time to fit the crew with some life preserver's... Apoxy sculpt formed and sculpted to represent. Sculpting is not my strong point either, but I can live with the result... At this point I am hoping the paint will make the preserver come alive.

7d5d46f5-6dd0-4f51-a457-168a2f628ea4_zps396f3302.jpg

Here is the finished crew member's... Vest's are painted, followed by a flat coat and finally dry brushed with various green's and LGG... I am pleased with the pilot's outcome to this point.

c2d2a378-9782-4d8f-8c35-48ed959143dd_zpsd0c72cc9.jpg

Finally, the maps were cut from the 1/35 Verlinden maps for Armor builds, then strapped onto their laps using strips of Tamiya tape!

660aa2f9-4380-44c3-bc49-65712dfb60ba_zps2fd46206.jpg

As you can see... patience is a virtue, but in the end I'm pleased with the result. Now it's time to strap them into their seats and add the oxygen hoses and seat belts! I'm really getting tired of looking at the cockpit components, but it has to get done before I start on other aspects of the build.... Which I hope will pick up steam if I ever get a chance to look at adding mods to the airframe wink.gif/> Thanks for looking!

271.gif/>

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

... Maybe in hind sight it would've been better to buy the resin pit, but as you can see i'm in way too deep by now ;)/>/>/>

/Jesse

Why waste money on a resin pit that you can't see when you have done such a brilliant job on the OOB pit? In the right hands, an OOB pit can be just as realistic as a resin one ;)/>

Thanks for the tutorial on the pilots too - it's something else I have now taken away from this build!

Look forward to seeing more of this as it goes along

:cheers:

MH

• 1 month later...

Very neat work on the co kpit, Jesse! And big kudos for picking up the little things like that tape recorder.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks Marcel! Things like that tape recorder are hard to pick out.... I must've looked over Jake's book a million times before I noticed that it was there and not molded into the kit part side console!

i love that are you are so helpful to everyone, jesse!

Thanks Conzo! Welcome to ARC, it's a great community :thumbsup:/>

Phenomenal job on this beast. I built this one a few years ago and wow, if only I would have had a nice walkthrough like this. Cant wait for your next update!

Thanks Jman! Fortunately we have Geedubelyer's WIP from 2006 Geedub's famous Strike thread

nice cockpit!

Thanks rom :cheers:/>

Coming along very nicely. Great tutorial and results on the crew painting. Another outstanding build in the making.

E.

Thank you E! Today is my last day of work "hopefully for at least a month", I have finished my kitchen remodel project for swmbo and the last 2 night's, was able to sit down and do some modeling. I am in the process of running oxygen hoses and other various tubes that hook up to the helmets and G-suit etc. I will be ecstatic when all of the hoses are finished ;)/> Hope to have progress within a week :thumbsup:/>

/Jesse

Good morning folks, been a few weeks since my last update and I must admit that I needed a little break as the seatbelts and hoses were getting to be a real PITA ;)/> Fortunately I was able to come back with a fresh mind set and a bit of will-power to finish this part of the build! I hate to bore you all to tears with the tub & pilot's, but hopefully i can finish the cockpit and move on with life.... It's been a long road up til now and at this rate the build might get finished by 2015 B)/>

"Punch list" to close up front fuselage as follows:

-Finish painting side walls.

-Detail & paint front and back IP coaming's.

-Detail & paint nose gear bay.

Still a ways to go, but hopefully it won't be as time consuming as the crew and cockpit has been!!!

Seat belts were added using flat lead strips. The belt buckles were taken from the Eduard ejection seat set. The oxygen hose is an old bronze guitar string. With a bit of fiddling around, I was able to pull the core wire out so it was easier to bend into shape... Some people add copper wire to replace the core for support, as the coiled string can be easily crushed, but IMO it wasn't necessary. Also, .7mm lead wire was used for the G-suit air supply.

95d93377-4d88-4fa9-b0c3-51379b470fd7_zps34d1be49.jpg

Another view of the pilot... Not sure if the hoses are 100% accurate, but they're at least 95% :P/>

1e63c27f-24d0-4ea8-afe5-4ab54ff1bced_zpsb750936d.jpg

266fdde7-9ce2-444e-a2fa-aa4649f55a90_zps0d55b1c7.jpg

68a9f07b-e915-4f1a-b0b8-9ab42ff84752_zps1bc74fe9.jpg