1/48 Kinetic A-6 VMA-225

Great looking build. I've been hesitant on the Kinetic A-6 kits. I may have to breakdown and get one.

I do have one question though. This is supposed to represent and A-6A correct? I only ask because I don't recall a ram scoop on the rear of the fuselage at the tail base for A models.

Great looking build. I've been hesitant on the Kinetic A-6 kits. I may have to breakdown and get one.

I do have one question though. This is supposed to represent and A-6A correct? I only ask because I don't recall a ram scoop on the rear of the fuselage at the tail base for A models.

I would not recommend the Kinetic kit to the casual modeler. It is a bit of a PITA. If you don't mind raised panel lines, go for the Revel kit.

As for the ram air scoop, you may be correct. I do have some photos of this aircraft and they are somewhat inconclusive and after second look I might agree it shouldn't be there. Well, still more accurate than a Hollywood movie :salute:

I would not recommend the Kinetic kit to the casual modeler. It is a bit of a PITA. If you don't mind raised panel lines, go for the Revel kit.

As for the ram air scoop, you may be correct. I do have some photos of this aircraft and they are somewhat inconclusive and after second look I might agree it shouldn't be there. Well, still more accurate than a Hollywood movie :salute:/>

Hmm.. I'll have to mull that over. Have 2 Revell A-6 kits on tap for next year. One is set aside for KA-6D modification, the other will be backdated to A-6A. Was wanting to pick up 1 more A-6E kit since I have the Aeromaster CVW-8 77/78 decal set, but I'm a little hesitant to use the A-6 decals, since both BUNOs represented in that set equate to KA-6Ds (surprised I haven't seen anyone pick up on that). Maybe I'll just one them for my KA-6D instead of the other decals I had planned.

Well, as far the history of the bird you modeled - I looked into it and ot started life as an A-6A, was updated to A-6E standard (at which point the ram scoop would've been added)in the 1970's, and was rewinged with composite wings in the late 80's/early 90's before being retired. Either way.. Still way better than my skills are capable of at this point. Can't wait to see that 1/32 Tomcat I sent you.

That is one killer looking Intruder. That load out gives Grumman Iron Works a whole new meaning. You really did a great job on a tough kit. :thumbsup:/>

-xavi

Edited by xavi84

That looks super! How does the Kinetic kit match up to revell's?

That literally opens a can of worms! I could write an essay on this and it's a mixed bag:

Advantages Kinetic:

+recessed panel lines

++better cockpit detail out of box

++Wing Folds

+better intake and exhaust ducting

+boarding steps both sides

+Separate arrestor hook

+Good fit of major fuselage pieces

Disadvantages Kinetic:

-Complex build

-Fit and instructions can be unclear

-fiddly bits of engineering

-Fit is poor in some areas like locating cockpit tub and interference with intakes

-x5 God-Awful split canopy and windscreen (my biggest beef)

Advantages Revel:

++Simple, accurate build for per-composite wing (Vietnam up to some 1st Gulf War)

++Better MERs and Exterior detail in general

++Low Cost

Disadvantages Revel:

-Raised panel lines (not a big deal to me).

-No wing fold

-Intakes and exhausts (best to cover them IMHO)

--Fit (due in part to age)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. I would simplify it down to these 3 points:

1) Kinetic kit for advanced builders only. Revel is a simpler kit but still can be built to a great model.

2) Kinetic kit if you want the wing-fold option or composite wing.

3) The Kinetic Canopies are a terror to get together. I much prefer the simplified Revel

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous looking Invader ya got there! :D

Impressive loadout to say the least!

I´ve learnt the hard way to keep my eyes peeled when building a kinetic model....the reality and the build guide might disagree with oneanother at times :P

Adds some extra spice to a build when you´re supposed to add parts that doesn´t exist on any sprue in the box.

Cheers!

That literally opens a can of worms! I could write an essay on this and it's a mixed bag:

Disadvantages Kinetic:

-Complex build

-Fit is poor in some areas like locating cockpit tub and interference with intakes

i almost bought the kit until i saw the canopy. dropped it in an instant. it was going to be too much of a headache. Personally, the canopy was a deal breaker. that being said, great build sir! i like how you handled the canopy issue.

i almost bought the kit until i saw the canopy. dropped it in an instant. it was going to be too much of a headache. Personally, the canopy was a deal breaker. that being said, great build sir! i like how you handled the canopy issue.

The rear canopy can be replacedd with a spare or replacement Revel canopy if posed open. I dry fit one and it looked pretty good. If I ever build the Kinetic kit again, I would do that.

The front windscreen... just doesn't have a good solution unfortunately. You cannot simply drop in a Revel one as they are engineered around the base to the fusalage differently. :bandhead2:

Very nice model and a very good review. As if masking canopies isnt hard enough they want you to build it also! Great job

Advantages Kinetic:

+recessed panel lines

++better cockpit detail out of box

++Wing Folds

+better intake and exhaust ducting

+boarding steps both sides

+Separate arrestor hook

+Good fit of major fuselage pieces

Disadvantages Kinetic:

-Complex build

Advantages Revel:

++Simple, accurate build for per-composite wing (Vietnam up to some 1st Gulf War)

++Better MERs and Exterior detail in general

++Low Cost

Disadvantages Revel:

-Raised panel lines (not a big deal to me).

-No wing fold

-Intakes and exhausts (best to cover them IMHO)

--Fit (due in part to age)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. I would simplify it down to these 3 points:

1) Kinetic kit for advanced builders only. Revel is a simpler kit but still can be built to a great model.

2) Kinetic kit if you want the wing-fold option or composite wing.

3) The Kinetic Canopies are a terror to get together. I much prefer the simplified Revel