Newly discovered panel wash method

Thought I'd share my latest findings with everyone. In the past year I have tried several methods of panel line wash to darken the recessed panel lines on more modern kits, but have had issues with either the wash not staying in the recesses, wash staining my finish, or too dark or stark of wash in some areas with too little or no wash in other areas. I have tried oils, water colors, and pro modeler wash from flory. All have given me similar issues that I mentioned above, however, I have been using a new method on the past two builds and have had great success.

While building a recent super hornet, I had an idea to use pro modeler wash on the drop tank to simulate the dirt and grime of excess fluid staining and grime build up. I florist tried to brush some on the tank to get a patch over effect over a large area, however it still looked brushed on and not realistic.

On a whim I got an idea to try and do it as touch up spots, much like I do when post shading, so I loaded up my air brush with a bit of flory wash and decided to try my hand at airbrushing the wash. I got great results for the effect that I was looking for, however, there were a few spots that went on too heavy, and I wanted to remove some of the excess.

I used a paper towel that was slightly dampened and began to remove some of the excess. In the process I noticed that the access panel on the drop tank left behind a nicely washed out panel line, fasteners included.

Thinking I may be onto something, I tested it again on a vertical stabilizer and it worked like a champ. Just do a light dust coat along a small area, or along the panel lines themselves until you barely see it begin to build up. Almost like a soot look. Use your airbrush (air only) to help dry out the remaining water /fluid. You'll see it start to evaporate rather quickly.

At this time be careful where you touch, especially if using water colors or flory wash, which will be easily removed if handled too much. Now, just use a slightly moistened paper towel and streak in the direction of the airflow as you normally would. The surface excess will remove easily leaving behind a really nice washed out panel line. Be sure to keep rotating your paper towel so that you're using a clean edge /corner, if not you'll just start smearing the residual buildup that's gathering on the towel.

So far, in my experiences with this method, it's worked like a champoegoes. Goes on really quick, and removes equally as quick. No more painstaking pin washes that take long amounts of time, and no more risk of staining your finish. Some of my issues may not be a problem for others, and by all means if you have a solid method that works, then please stick to what you got going. For others like me who've had struggles maintaining consistent results, this may be very helpful.

Again, I have only tried this with flory wash, so I would only recommend it for water based washes. Not sure that I'd load any oil paints in an air brush at all. This could probably work on an enamel or acrylic wash as well, however I've never ventured across these as I've always been nervous about trashing a paint job.

Hope someone finds this helpful. Always nice to have alternative methods in this hobby. What works for some may not always work for others, which makes a variety of options a great thing. If anyone else tries it out, post your results here so those still skeptical have some reviews.

Edited by scapilot

Jim, I had seen that video in the past, but didn't even tie two and two together at that point because I wasn't feeling nearly as hopeless in my attempts to pull off a decent panel line wash back then. As I stated originally, I would have either too much in some spots or not enough in other spots. That and the fact that I've had about four issues of major stainage over the past year when applying pin washes via brush. This seemed to just be a breeze, and lays it in the grooves nice and evenly. AV8, glad it's seemed to help.

• 1 month later...