Anybody know of any 1/72 M-60 mgs? Need them for a Viet Nam era UH-1 and OH-6. Only ones I've seen on line are from Aero something or other ... long since gone. Dragon makes some REAL nice ones, but don't want to buy 3 kits for 3 guns. Related, did the UH-1Ds in 65 (Ia Drang) have solid mounts for the door guns, or were they using bungee cords?

Anybody know of any 1/72 M-60 mgs? Need them for a Viet Nam era UH-1 and OH-6. Only ones I've seen on line are from Aero something or other ... long since gone. Dragon makes some REAL nice ones, but don't want to buy 3 kits for 3 guns. Related, did the UH-1Ds in 65 (Ia Drang) have solid mounts for the door guns, or were they using bungee cords?

Sorry, but the Dragon 60's are the best I know of. There is a company that makes PE M-60's (I used them on a build a long time ago) but they were too flat and had to add spacers between the pieces of PE to get a decent looking gun.

Regarding the Ia Drang UH-1D's, that was before the M23 gun mount so any door guns would have been free guns or on bungees. I actually think they were free guns if I remember correctly. HTH

Ray

Sorry, but the Dragon 60's are the best I know of. There is a company that makes PE M-60's (I used them on a build a long time ago) but they were too flat and had to add spacers between the pieces of PE to get a decent looking gun.

Regarding the Ia Drang UH-1D's, that was before the M23 gun mount so any door guns would have been free guns or on bungees. I actually think they were free guns if I remember correctly. HTH

Ray

I have a batch of Dragon Humvees. One of their Gun Trucks comes with ONE M-60. Have a pot load of Ma Dueces , SAWs, and Mk19s. I saw some die cast ones on a web site, but the maker is out of business and the seller won't answer my e-mails (Probably out of business too.) One would think with all the UH-1 (and Loach) kits out there the manufacturers would provide door guns, or there would be a reasonable after market call for them.

Ray

I have a batch of Dragon Humvees. One of their Gun Trucks comes with ONE M-60. Have a pot load of Ma Dueces , SAWs, and Mk19s. I saw some die cast ones on a web site, but the maker is out of business and the seller won't answer my e-mails (Probably out of business too.) One would think with all the UH-1 (and Loach) kits out there the manufacturers would provide door guns, or there would be a reasonable after market call for them.

Have you thought about casting them on resin? Take the one and use it as a master to cast the other two you need. Micromark sells a great resin casting kit that's fair in price.

Good idea. I need to get one (M-60) first. One I had is on an M-113 TOW from REFORGER in the early 90s. :(

Oddly enough neither 1/72 or 1/48 Hueys come with door guns. To a Huey freak like myself that's like selling a car model without doors! I agree that casting may be the way to go. If you buy Allumilite products from Hobby Lobby online, you can use the 40% off coupon and save a LOT of money. I am still a total noob at casting so I wouldn't presume to recommend a particular type of mold rubber or resin, but the basic starter kit has worked pretty good for me.

Ray

Oddly enough neither 1/72 or 1/48 Hueys come with door guns. To a Huey freak like myself that's like selling a car model without doors! I agree that casting may be the way to go. If you buy Allumilite products from Hobby Lobby online, you can use the 40% off coupon and save a LOT of money. I am still a total noob at casting so I wouldn't presume to recommend a particular type of mold rubber or resin, but the basic starter kit has worked pretty good for me.

Ray

Can't recall any model slicks coming with door guns. Only guns are on the gunships. I built the 1/32 kit a couple times as a kid ... no door guns. ***-O???

Hello together,

there are a few pigs on the market:

1. Propaganda Kompany from France : Pilots for Vietanm

Disadvantage expensive and not long delivery times, up to four month

2. Herpa Germany: MG set US

Not so expensive, they are scale 1:87 but I think these must be bigger in Scale.

3. SHQ: SHQ Crew

There are also some other models for wargameing in the market, I did here an comparison: Modellboard

Ciao

Jan

What Jan said....

I can really recommend the Herpa/Roco/whatever M60s. They may be sold as 1/87 scale, but they are definitely bigger and work perfect in 1/72.

Here is a Roco M60 on a 1/72 Italeri Loach:

2069-27700.jpg

oh-6-cayuse-italeri.jpg

HAJO

Can't recall any model slicks coming with door guns. Only guns are on the gunships. I built the 1/32 kit a couple times as a kid ... no door guns. ***-O???

The 1/35 Dragon UH-1D/H comes with 1 M23 system with a M60D and 1 M60 free gun. Of course you really need 2 M23 systems but it's a start. In fact the Dragon sprue is really just their Vietnam helicopter crew set packaged with the old Panda kit.

Anyone have a US source for the Herpa/Rocco gun set? I would definitely check them out.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

Grab the 1/72 italeri OH-13 Sioux kit, comes with 2 x M60, suitable for your cause and you can pick them up for $8-10 online.

They are a nice representation, equal to any of the after market ones that I have aswell.

HTH

Cheers

Karl

You're probably referring to the Aeroclub ones - this model shop in Germany appears to have some:

http://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de/Detail/Cconversion-Sets/Aeroclub/Scale-1/72/Cannons-and-machine-guns/AEG024-M60-Hubschraubertuer-Kanone::4191.html?XTCsid=33725ae1fbc313dd2ad398e93bec104b

I already have some tucked away with one of my Hueys....

Hmm, I don´t want to rain on someones parade, but I once ordered a couple of MGs from Aeroclub and found them not very usefull...

Parts were bent, details not present, overall a very crude representation of the subject.

HAJO

The 1/35 Dragon UH-1D/H comes with 1 M23 system with a M60D and 1 M60 free gun. Of course you really need 2 M23 systems but it's a start. In fact the Dragon sprue is really just their Vietnam helicopter crew set packaged with the old Panda kit.

Anyone have a US source for the Herpa/Rocco gun set? I would definitely check them out.

Ray

Cobra has a nice resin M23 set for the Dragon Huey. Highly recommended.

Cobra has a nice resin M23 set for the Dragon Huey. Highly recommended.

Thanks to all. I checked out Cobra. Was all excited then noticed the set was 1/35. Also, they were M-60Ds, with the spade grips. :( Rothco/Herpa look to be my best option. As for the Bell 47, are there M-60s in the kit? Cover art (and all the photos I have seen.) show .30 cal M-1919 Brownings on the skids. (Heard of incidents in Korea of strafing runs done wirh an M-2 Carbine, out the door.)

Thanks to all. I checked out Cobra. Was all excited then noticed the set was 1/35. Also, they were M-60Ds, with the spade grips. :(/> Rothco/Herpa look to be my best option. As for the Bell 47, are there M-60s in the kit? Cover art (and all the photos I have seen.) show .30 cal M-1919 Brownings on the skids. (Heard of incidents in Korea of strafing runs done wirh an M-2 Carbine, out the door.)

Hey, All. I went on ebay for an M-60 hunt. If anybody wants any of the roco M-60s there is one seller with 3 (was 4 , but I shagged a set. ) for $9.95. (out of Illinois.) and another for $11. (Looks to be 1/2 a set. Only one tree. Unless Roco issued them in two different sets.) I did my search for "1/87 roco guns".

Hey, All. I went on ebay for an M-60 hunt. If anybody wants any of the roco M-60s there is one seller with 3 (was 4 , but I shagged a set. ) for $9.95. (out of Illinois.) and another for $11. (Looks to be 1/2 a set. Only one tree. Unless Roco issued them in two different sets.) I did my search for "1/87 roco guns".

Thanks for the heads up. Try searching "Trident 96040" for even more sources in Google. I saw one as low as 6 bucks and change.

Ray

Thanks to all. I checked out Cobra. Was all excited then noticed the set was 1/35. Also, they were M-60Ds, with the spade grips. :(/> Rothco/Herpa look to be my best option. As for the Bell 47, are there M-60s in the kit? Cover art (and all the photos I have seen.) show .30 cal M-1919 Brownings on the skids. (Heard of incidents in Korea of strafing runs done wirh an M-2 Carbine, out the door.)

Just checked the actual kit.

2 X M-60 and 4 x Brownings are included.

The M-60 s have are of the "shoulder" fired type, with an extra part at front body point for mounting, or easy removal.

HTH

Karlos

Ray

Just found a photo of Bruce Crandall's Ancient Serpent 6 pulling out of LZ X-ray. (One of the two grunts in the pic appears to be Col. Moore. His chin is almost as distinctive as Jay Leno's!) It sure looks like an M-23 mount on there to me. Real dark, but you can see the brace under the door way, large ammo box, and the ammo belt.

Just found a photo of Bruce Crandall's Ancient Serpent 6 pulling out of LZ X-ray. (One of the two grunts in the pic appears to be Col. Moore. His chin is almost as distinctive as Jay Leno's!) It sure looks like an M-23 mount on there to me. Real dark, but you can see the brace under the door way, large ammo box, and the ammo belt.

I never say never, but check out THIS thread over at FSM. Take the time to read the whole thing and I think you will have a much better understanding of both what was likely on Crandall's bird and what was not. What you will see is ambiguous evidence showing the M23 present as well as several lines of evidence showing it wasn't there. I was a helo newby at the time so I didn't really contribute a lot to the M23 discussion. However, having spent the last 6 years immersed in everything Huey, I am pretty confident that the M23 system wasn't used in the Ia Drang battle. It is clear, however, that it was in country by January of 66 so it is entirely possible there is a picture of Gen. Moore in an M23 armed bird. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. I would love to see the photo you found.

Ray

I never say never, but check out THIS thread over at FSM. Take the time to read the whole thing and I think you will have a much better understanding of both what was likely on Crandall's bird and what was not. What you will see is ambiguous evidence showing the M23 present as well as several lines of evidence showing it wasn't there. I was a helo newby at the time so I didn't really contribute a lot to the M23 discussion. However, having spent the last 6 years immersed in everything Huey, I am pretty confident that the M23 system wasn't used in the Ia Drang battle. It is clear, however, that it was in country by January of 66 so it is entirely possible there is a picture of Gen. Moore in an M23 armed bird. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. I would love to see the photo you found.

Ray

Hi, Ray. Actually found a couple more photos. The webite is www.army.mil/artical/1757/Major_Bruce_P_Crandall_Photo_Slideshow All three are in the first 10 photos. (Provided it starts in the same spot .... pic of Crandall with a 12.5mm mg) The one I mentioned before, I think, is Don Galloway's work. It looks too pro for a grunt with a Kodak. You can make out Crandall's markings on the door, and , though shadowy, the door gunner. Second one shows the ship at a hover. Not sure on the time frame on this. I don't think it's the Ia Drang ... too rain foresty. (Ia Drang is more like Sothern Cal. That's why they filmed the movie at Fort Hunter Liggett.) Third is a color shot showing four ships launching. Looks like Crandall's marking on the lead's door. Lead has the M-23s. two of the other ships don't. (Fourth is hiding way back behind the puckerbrush. All you can see is roof and rotors So .... ?? I know enough about 'puters to be dangerous. If you know how to post these please do so.