Thoughts: 3D Printer and Plastic Model Hobby

I know 3D printers are still very expensive and not a practical purchase for most at this time. I am wondering as 3D printers become cheaper (within 5 years I'm guessing), would it be possible to build some of the models in large scale that currently exist in small scale. Models I'm thinking of are things like SCIFI models and ship models. I was thinking it may be possible to scale up model / model parts from existing gets to studio scale or at least to a larger scale. I'm not sure what would be required, possibly a 3D scanner too. But if existing models / model parts could be scaled up and down, this would give all of us a way to own models that will never come in a specific scale. I know I would love to own a studio scale model of some of the Star Wars models.

I was just curious about everyone's thoughts. I think the negative could be pushing small scale manufacturors out of the market. Again, I do realize this is several years out.

Lol, we have another one. :lol:

This topic shows up literaly every week now. I suggest reading the following threads for people's opinions:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=264945

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=263881

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=264690

Actually his question isn't exactly the same as the other topics on this subject. He is specifically asking if it allows for scaling of models. The answer is most definitely yes. I know with Solidworks it's a simple matter of adding a scaling feature to your model and you can make them any scale you want to. BUT having said that, in order to make the scaled up model affordable or the scaled down model makeable, it takes a bit more work then simply scaling them up. The best thing to do would be to adjust wall thicknesses to maximize strength while not leaving too much un-needed, thus more expensive, material to the model. It's not a super hard operation but it's not a simple push of a button scale up or down either. Still MUCH easier then having to re-cut a mold. Also, for a larger model you'd likely want to add detail not seen in the smaller scale so that would take some work as well.

As for studio scale Star Wars models, at this time that would be really expensive to print. And a machine capable of printing parts that large are going to be expensive for quite a long time. Currently the cheaper "DIY" machines aren't capable of making large parts like that and don't use the higher fidelity printing able in the big expensive machines. It's coming possibly but I suspect printing services will be more likely in the near future.

I hope that actually answers your question.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Although up-scaling may be technically feasible you would have some loss in fidelity.

This is analagous to scaling up a 300x400 JPG photo to 600x800. The quality would suffer. This is not a perfect example but you get the idea.

Actually this isnt true. Because the files are digital models, there's no loss of detail when changing scale if done correctly.

Like niart was saying, its just a matter of scaling the original digital file to the size you want, and going from there. I just completed a large job for a model kit that will be manufactured using 3D printing of the parts for resin masters. When I created the original 3D model, it was all created 1:1 scale, so that I didn't have to worry about converting dimensions to the smaller scale. This also allows if the client at some point in the future wishes to produce the same model in a larger scale (in this case the model is 1/700) then all I have to do is change the scale setting on the model and I instantly have what ever scale the client wishes to have. The big thing is like niart said, that at smaller scales, less detail is present b/c it wouldn't be visible, so detail that would be visible at the larger scale has to be added, but that's it. The other option if time and cost allow, is to add more detail to the original model, and then suppress it on the scaled models so that the detail that wouldn't be seen, wont be printed on the final part, but would be in the 3D model file if a larger part is wanted down the road.

Although up-scaling may be technically feasible you would have some loss in fidelity.

This is analagous to scaling up a 300x400 JPG photo to 600x800. The quality would suffer. This is not a perfect example but you get the idea.

As for the original question, it's definitely possible. Again like niart pointed out, the limitations at the moment are the work envelopes of the available equipment. Probably what would have to be done, is the parts created in sections, that would then have to be assembled to get what is wanted.

Edited by Adam Baker

The big thing is like niart said, that at smaller scales, less detail is present b/c it wouldn't be visible, so detail that would be visible at the larger scale has to be added, but that's it.

That is what I was referring to. Mine was just an example and not a perfect one I understand.

Raster vs vector format. JPG format is raster format so you'll see a change in quality/resolution when you scale it. Vector format on the other hand does not change quality/resolution when you scale it. CAD files can be changed to vector format.

FYI. For those attending the IPMS Nats in August, the organizers just added a seminar/demonstration of 3D printing.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Very cool. Are they going to actually have a printer there and if so, what type? It's good to see that some are embracing, or at the least, showing interest in this technology. It's coming.

Bill

Raster vs vector format. JPG format is raster format so you'll see a change in quality/resolution when you scale it. Vector format on the other hand does not change quality/resolution when you scale it. CAD files can be changed to vector format.

Oh good gravy... Yes. CAD files are by nature scalable... That's not the point.

Thanks all. I was think I would like to have a studio scale Millenium Falcon for my theater / game room. I was thinking since the Fine Scale 1/72 is a great model it might be possible to scale it up to studio scale.

Again thanks to everyone who commented on what would be required to do this and the cost. It sounds like it's not doable anytime soon especially if a person would have to order it - Lucas (Disney) would never allow that, at least I don't see them doing so.... Disney might do it; but charge about 10x what it cost.

I know that this probably will sound silly, but what would be classified as "studio scale". 1/4? 1/6th? Just curious to get an idea of what it would be size-wise in relation to 1/1 (which would be life-size).

I know that this probably will sound silly, but what would be classified as "studio scale". 1/4? 1/6th? Just curious to get an idea of what it would be size-wise in relation to 1/1 (which would be life-size).

I believe studio scale refers the a model that is the same size as the model used in the studio. So it's not so much a particular scale, it's a 1:1 replica of the studio model. At least that's how I understand it.

Bill

p.s. I believe the Falcon from SW was really a really large kit. I THINK the round port details on the rear deck are from 1/35 scale Tiger (or Panther?) tanks so that gives an idea of how large that model was. Again, I'm not positive of that just seem to recall reading that somewhere.

Edited by niart17

OK... Thanks, Bill. But can you imagine a true 1:1 (lifesize) scale model of the Millennium Falcon? :D ~evil laughter~ Now that would require a renovation and large addition to the garage. It's gonna be interesting what sort of advances that they're going to have with 3D printing.

OK... Thanks, Bill. But can you imagine a true 1:1 (lifesize) scale model of the Millennium Falcon? :D/> ~evil laughter~ Now that would require a renovation and large addition to the garage. It's gonna be interesting what sort of advances that they're going to have with 3D printing.

Advances in 3D printing...yeah going to be interesting. I have seen articles about new age construction companies playing with extruding materials essentially "3D printing" walls on site! Can you imagine a building being "printed" by machines? That would be an interesting thing to watch.

Bill