Airfix 1:72 Oscar EW-5894 Phallus Tactical Fighter bomber

My P-47N for the National Reserve GB is nearing the finish line, so I could start another. Want to build my 1:32 Lynx but don't have all the parts, so its time for a little snack.

A while ago I spotted the new Airfix 1:72 Folland Gnat T.1 kit at the Aviation Megastore in Holland.

EW5894_001.jpg

Nice little kit with only a few parts.

EW5894_002.jpg

The real reason for buying the kit were the extra decals. The kit was offered with Promo Decals from Flevo Decals for a Oscar EW-5894 Phallus Tactical Fighter bomber from the movie Hot Shots. :yahoo:

EW5894_003.jpg

The kit was really cheap and with those extra decals I just couldn't resist.

So next on the agenda was reference, luckily someone uploaded the entire movie on Youtube. So taking screenshot was easy. I discovered their were three different versions in the movie

1) Visible rear cockpit (aft aircraft)

http://modelbrouwers.nl/media/albums/401/8524/Refs_002.png

2) Covered back part with seat visible.

http://modelbrouwers.nl/media/albums/401/8524/Refs_009.png

3) Back part of the cockpit completely covered

http://modelbrouwers.nl/media/albums/401/8524/Refs_010.png

Going for option 3. Next was stuffing my I am a spammer....please report this post. Note tablet with the reference photos and digital instruction manual and starting construction. Not much done, mostly painting, only the wing and 'rocket pods' were glued.

EW5894_004.jpg

And after that it was done for now, that's the disadvantage of a small kit :taunt: So enough time to write this topic and finalizing the diorama idea that this kit deserves.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Mad Viper

Hahaha Hot Shots! I like that movie, we know it as "Locademia de Pilotos" here in Perú, "locademia" comes from "loca" + "academia" that means "crazy academy", in other words: "crazy pilot academy". I'll keep an eye on it. Best regards.

José.

• 1 month later...

And a big update. Did managed to finish up the cockpit, not really a detailed one, but because the canopy will be closed and some of it will be modified, I didnt take a lot of care in building it. After the cockpit was put together I could join it in the fuselage and glue the halves together.

EW5894_005.jpg

Then the wing was next, together with the 'rocket pods'. I used filler to take away all the fueltank details such as panellines, sanded them smooth and glued them under the wing. It looks nice and went together nicely, only the intakes don't fit that well to the fuselage.

EW5894_006.jpg

After a day of drying I started to modify the cockpit, first step was to delete al of the rear cockpit details, so a little saw was used to delete the glareshield.

EW5894_007.jpg

Next with some plastic beams and card, the rear pit was closed up. This was a left to dry so that the next step will be installing the round tube above it.

EW5894_008.jpg

Then the pilot was created. All of my pilots decided they are of the sitting kind and refuse to stand up, idiots! :taunt:/> So one was selected as volunteer and underwent surgery to remove his legs. Another standing crewchief was cut in half to join the upper part of the pilot with the lower part of the crewchief. With some spare arms, the pilot was created.

EW5894_009.jpg

And that's it for now. More to come as the build progresses.

Okay, although I have already built an Oscar EW-5894 with ALPS printed decals of my own design (and some bits from scrap sheets), I would LOVE to find out how I can acquire my own copy of these screen printed decals so I can build my own jet's stablemate which I have pictured below:

fingnat2.jpg

fingnat3.jpg

The Airfix Gnat is indeed a joy to put together as I found out. One could most certainly go further and I've toyed with doing a deck diorama with a deck hand carrying a bomb over his shoulder. :D I didn't cover the back seat in mine since I wanted the model to be able to qualify for "Out of the Box" categories at model shows. Near as I can tell, the ones that had no rear seats were the full size non-flying mockup jets. The ones with the rear seats (of which there were two) were the flyable ones (the third jet was a Vought trainer jet prototype that didn't get any sales).

Edited by Jay Chladek
I would LOVE to find out how I can acquire my own copy of these screen printed decals so I can build my own jet's stablemate which I have pictured below:

Jay, the decals can be aquired when buying the kit in The Netherlands at the Aviation Megastore

Folland Gnat T1 (WITH BONUS DECALS!!)

Decals aren't sold seperatly cause they're promotional.

Only big disappointment is that they charge you a minimum of 30 euro's for shipping.

Edited by Mad Viper

I would LOVE to find out how I can acquire my own copy of these screen printed decals

Jay, I'll be visiting the Aviation Megastore in two weeks time. I plan on picking up one of those puppies since I want a Phallus of my own (eh... you took that wrong :) ), but since I'd like to build another one of the new Airfix Gnats as either a Red Arrows or Yellowjackets one, perhaps we can work something out as far as an extra set of those decals are concerned.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you ASAP.

No worries, if you drop me a line at a dot vanderhoek at home dot nl before friday it'll be allright.

Cheers,

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. Been working on the cockpit now and it's almost finished. The rear is blocked off and made to look like in the movie. Also most of the parts are installed and it received some filler.

EW5894_010.jpg

Wanted to place the canopy on it, but that didn't go smoothly, nothing bad but had to put it in future again to wash away some little scratches on the inside.

Looking good so far. I like how your dealing with the rear seat conversion. Is that space in the corner just behind the plastic sheet insert covered by the canopy frame, or is it there in real life as well?

Today some paint was put on the model as base layer to check for flaws. As per instructions the bird needs FS36440 Light Gull Gray, Humbroll 129. But after I had put on the first brush strokes I had the idea that it wasn't the right colour. To brownish for the 'real' aircraft.

EW5894_012.jpg

So next step is to search I better colour. Was thinking of FS36375 Light Ghost Gray.

I concur (I sent you a PM). When I did mine, I went with FS36495 Light Ghost Gray, which is a cool gray shade, meaning it has more of a bluish tint to it than Gull Gray. Give it a try and it might work better on yours as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week Hot Shots was on TV in Holland again, so watched it to see if I could get some diorama ideas, got some but now I need to see if they are workable. Concerning the aircraft, finally got it in the right colour, painted it in Humbrol 127. A far better choice then the Humbrol 129 Flevo Decals gives you. It now looks like the 'Real' deal.

EW5894_013.jpg

Also painted some of the details, when those are dry and the wheels are done and mounted. Tape can be removed and gloss can be applied for the decals. Can't wait. :woot.gif:

Edited by Mad Viper
  • 10 months later...

And finally some progress. I was a bit shocked and surprised to see that the model was on hold for so long, the time really went fast. All those months there was no time to build any kit, mainly due to work but also the move to a new house. But finally things have settled, with the new work area also finished, so we can finish something up and build new ones. So first to finish is this little gem.

So photo update as of today:

EW5894_015.jpg

Almost finished, just a couple off small point on the punchlist. But finally the end is near.

Edited by Mad Viper
  • 3 weeks later...

And finished!

EW5894_017.jpg

EW5894_016.jpg

EW5894_018.jpg

EW5894_019.jpg

EW5894_020.jpg

EW5894_021.jpg

EW5894_022.jpg

Kept the idea for the diorama simple, had some ideas to incorporate some extra elements, but nothing panned out right in the practical phase. Now it's just a simple representation of the deck of the S.S. ESSESS.

The kit is great, falls together really well, you only need some extra attention to the fueltanks on the wing and the intakes. Those needs some extra filler and sanding action. Cockpit is spares, not really a dealbreaker but if you want, you can spice it up.

The Limited Edition decals from Flevodecals were awesome. Good in detail and reacted well to setting solutions. Couple of things worth mentioning when using this set (Only available throught the AviationMegastore in The Netherlands when buying a Airfix Gnat kit, if anyone wants them):

- Colour mentiioned for the a/c is Humbrol 129, but that looks wrong, I used Humbrol 127

- Fuselage roundels from Flevodecals look to big to me, I replaced them with smaller ones

- Placement of the Navy text on the wing should be checked, instruction placement is different then on the movie plane.

That's it for this one, another one finished.