why why why?? what have i done here to get insulted on this forum

Keep enjoying ARC.....sure there will be times everything isn't perfect or goes smoothly....but that is expected......there are many different personalites here and everyone has good and bad days. It is always best to give the other person the benefit of the doubt.

It is good to vent and get some support when you are down about something. You got some excelelnt feedback in this thread and Holmes said everything I would want to say if I had the same ability to take feelings in my heart and turn them into words......this is a special talent Holmes has mastered.

Holmes once told me....."when you are down....it is best to share that emotional burden with another person....an emotional burden shared is an emotional burden cut in half."

are you serious > I am somehow attacking the corps - with my dirty bird ! I love it !! your saying the absolute opposite of what other former USMC said about this same build! ! ALSO if you look back at what I said ---- it was not the rule it was the exception. These aircraft generally appear very tidy like your brethren in the USN.

I love this the photo was only accurate for one day? I cant figure that. But hey guess what bud -- that was the exact same "day" I chose to depict my model ! so please tell me how wrong I am now.

In the end you need to build it for yourself...build it how you want. That is the only way you can get pleasure from this hobby.

Last August I took my teenage daughter to the Philippines....she saw poverty that you can never see here. She now understands she lives in the first world.

This issue regarding weathering on an A-4 Skyhawk is what she calls..."A first world problem." She will says things such as..."Ya....that's a real first world problem." :rofl:

like your sentiment there Steve - very well said. We have the luxury of spending time typing into keyboards over trivial things like this. Must have been a real eye opener for your daughter. We forget how fortunate we are. I saw things in my tour of duty in Bosnia and also abject poverty in Asia and the Middle East that we cant even comprehend on our little world.

Edited by MarkC

guess what Bud?

you are doing it again,,,,,you are adding things to be outraged at, and those things are in each of your escalating posts

I didn't say the opposite, I said the same thing as he did,,,,,we both say they were cleaned much more often than the internet seems to believe they were

and yes,,,,,,extremely dirty birds did get photographed,,,,,if they were caught at just the right moment in time

they came out onto the flightline, went to the end of the airstrip (if there was one),,,,,,they took off,,,,,,and they fired rockets and other things at targets,,,,,often flying through clouds of dust and smoke,,,,some of which stuck to the oil leaks and etc

then,,,,,,they came back and landed on the airstrip (if there was one),,and parked on the ramp

then,,,,,,some grunt came along and towed it inside (if there was an inside),,,,,,,,and used this fancy piece of Yellow Gear* on it (US Military jets get almost as much attention as over the road Semi-Trucks do, lol)

and the next day,,,,it was back sitting on the line all washed and hand wiped down (if it was peacetime)

so, yep,,,,,,I believe that those extra grungy photos of peacetime Marine Aircraft were accurate for less than one day per each photo,,,,,,because just like the poster who's only error was to post his reply in the wrong thread,,,,,,,I too either washed them, or knew the guys that washed them

*Pressure Washer

(and I wasn't going to type anymore in this thread,,,,,,,until I read myself being misquoted as saying you were attacking the Corps with your dirty bird,,,,,,I got angry when I read that made up line of your's)

Edited by Rex

As far as weathering goes, I don't really like to add it to my models but I enjoy seeing it on others. As for aircraft being dirty or not dirty, the one and only time I ever saw an Tomcat and an Intruder was in the mid 90's and let me tell you, those planes were an absolute mess!!! Dirty, dirty, dirty and one of them, can't recall which one, had duct tape on the forward portion!!!!! So there are some nice clean planes and some nice dirty planes, pick the kind you want your model to be and do it.

errr... hold on Rex im getting real confused now. So your backing me up on here - right! So you said they get real dirty, and the panels fade and stuff from being stuck sat under the Yuma sunshine all day on the flighline?

...and WOOO HOOO hey thats just like how my model looks ! cheers bro - you cleared all this up after all !

many thanks off to build a another model during one of those "dirty days" ! when the *Pressure Water broke down! :monkeydance:

As far as weathering goes, I don't really like to add it to my models but I enjoy seeing it on others. As for aircraft being dirty or not dirty, the one and only time I ever saw an Tomcat and an Intruder was in the mid 90's and let me tell you, those planes were an absolute mess!!! Dirty, dirty, dirty and one of them, can't recall which one, had duct tape on the forward portion!!!!! So there are some nice clean planes and some nice dirty planes, pick the kind you want your model to be and do it.

Yep absolutely spot on my man ! and choose a clean one if you like also ! its called having fun ! and if you post it in the critique or gallery -- I 100% guarantee Im not going to take a potshot at it ! Im going to say well done dude - nice model ! keep at it !

I did NOT say that Cupcake

Making things up to show false support for a point of view only points out how invalid your point of view is,,,,,even in your own mind

Can we just get over this entire thing. Some people like heavy weathering, some people like very little or no weathering. It is all about what YOU like. Comment on construction of models and stop criticising so much because someone doesn't like what you like. This is a hobby. Something to enjoy and relax doing. I personally think moderator needs to lock this discussion before people really say something they might regret later.

Frank

ATL

guess what Bud?

and yes,,,,,,extremely dirty birds did get photographed,,,,,if they were caught at just the right moment in time

they came out onto the flightline, went to the end of the airstrip (if there was one),,,,,,they took off,,,,,,and they fired rockets and other things at targets,,,,,often flying through clouds of dust and smoke,,,,some of which stuck to the oil leaks and etc

then,,,,,,they came back and landed on the airstrip (if there was one),,and parked on the ramp

then,,,,,,some grunt came along and towed it inside (if there was an inside),,,,,,,,and used this fancy piece of Yellow Gear* on it (US Military jets get almost as much attention as over the road Semi-Trucks do, lol)

and the next day,,,,it was back sitting on the line all washed and hand wiped down (if it was peacetime)

so, yep,,,,,,I believe that those extra grungy photos of peacetime Marine Aircraft were accurate for less than one day per each photo,,,,,,because just like the poster who's only error was to post his reply in the wrong thread,,,,,,,I too either washed them, or knew the guys that washed them

*Pressure Washer

errr hi cupcake,, thats what you said and thanks pretty awesome first hand account of how an aircraft gets dirty. I put this on file so the next time I need to debate the point I have your backing and first hand account.

Maybe I can run a diorama with you kicking the broken the pressure water into pieces - and then a summary court martial of the pressure washer for failing to obey general orders.

you got insulted because you are an idiot,,,,plain and simple

if you were not an idiot,,,,,,,you wouldn't change what people say in order to keep your outrage over a plastic model comment intact

I carefully typed out how an aircraft could get dirty, then photographed,,,,,,,,,,and then cleaned during normal maintenance cycles,,,,,,,,and you think that supports some theory that those aircraft were always dirty

ps,,,,,don't assume some great personal victory over getting me banned,,,,,,I am saying what I am thinking because I can't find any "unjoin the forum button",,,,,,so, if I feel secure in saying what I really think of your comprehension skills, since the "worst case" is that something will be done that I am trying to do anyway

you got insulted because you are an idiot,,,,plain and simple

if you were not an idiot,,,,,,,you wouldn't change what people say in order to keep your outrage over a plastic model comment intact

I carefully typed out how an aircraft could get dirty, then photographed,,,,,,,,,,and then cleaned during normal maintenance cycles,,,,,,,,and you think that supports some theory that those aircraft were always dirty

ps,,,,,don't assume some great personal victory over getting me banned,,,,,,I am saying what I am thinking because I can't find any "unjoin the forum button",,,,,,so, if I feel secure in saying what I really think of your comprehension skills, since the "worst case" is that something will be done that I am trying to do anyway

No reason to think you'll be banned. It would be a shame if you got banned over something like this. Please just stop feeding he who shall not be named.

Can we just get over this entire thing. Some people like heavy weathering, some people like very little or no weathering. It is all about what YOU like. Comment on construction of models and stop criticising so much because someone doesn't like what you like. This is a hobby. Something to enjoy and relax doing. I personally think moderator needs to lock this discussion before people really say something they might regret later.

Frank

ATL

I've reported it as adding no value to any discussion about our hobby and being a long string of ill-based personal insults. Just sit tight on this.

are you serious > I am somehow attacking the corps - with my dirty bird ! I love it !! your saying the absolute opposite of what other former USMC said about this same build! ! ALSO if you look back at what I said ---- it was not the rule it was the exception. These aircraft generally appear very tidy like your brethren in the USN.

I love this the photo was only accurate for one day? I cant figure that. But hey guess what bud -- that was the exact same "day" I chose to depict my model ! so please tell me how wrong I am now.

Will you get the hell over it? You wanted a dirty bird. Good, you made the dirt look cool. Some A-4s were dirty. Good, fine. Point taken and accepted. Mike's point was that USMC skyhaws tend not to be that dirty. THATS IT. He wasn't insulting your abilities as a modeler.

You got way bent out of shape about that and took it as personal attack. Now you got called out on it and are getting ever more defensive.

just drop it!

Edited by RKic

Well, I could almost believe that, but your model is of a different squadron's airplane than the photo.

It's just my opinion here, but having looked at the photo you posted of the "dirty" airplane, and then looking at your model, I think you overdid the weathering. Not that it isn't well done, but it's much more prominent than what the photo of the real airplane shows. Glossy finishes, regular washes, and peacetime operations don't add up to airplanes that look like they flew through the residue of a burning oil refinery.

You're taking this WAY to seriously. If you're happy with the model, then what difference does anyone else's opinion make?

Also, something else to keep in mind, Marines are great guys, wonderful friends and all around the best buddy you can have on your side of bad things, BUT they aren't exactly known for their subtlety. So you have to realize their filter might be slightly different from yours or mine. Just a thought.

Bill

BTW, awesome build!

Well said, Bill.

Having met and worked with several Marine and Navy F/A-18 pilots over the years, I definitely concur that a Marine tends to be loyal and brutally honest. They're also proud, which may explain the comment about how his unit would never have had such a dirty jet.

Nicely done Scooter. And just let it go. My father (also a fighter pilot) taught me one thing that I repeat often to myself: "consider the source." If you respect the person who comments, then take the advice/comment to heart. If you don't know them from Adam, then feel free to take or leave anything they might say.

And also, I try to put myself in the other person's shoes. Sometimes a little perspective helps to make it clear why they might be saying something, like Marine pride for example, for clean jets of that era.

The internet is a nasty place. Just look at YouTube to find idiots spouting off about anything and everything, and getting vicious about it. ARC is a much nicer place, but not perfect. Differences of opinion are quite normal. Written communication is very hard; conveying the true intent and emotion behind anything is next to impossible, so I have learned to develop a VERY thick skin about comments anywhere, even here on ARC.

My advice? Let it go. The exchange was not insulting; it was likely a complete misunderstanding; and just not important enough to waste any thought on.

ALF

Some of mine look as clean as his,some as weathered as yours.Depends how I want them to look.

Don't care much what others think.

One thing we learn in modeling is never say never,somebody will have a picture as proof.

CHILL OUT,it's only toys.......cheers Ernie :cheers:

I just stood out in my front yard and talked with a lamp post for a good twenty minutes on how he could save electricity by just turning on the light when someone needed it.

Dumb@ss is still out there and will not turn off!

Stupid lamp post.

-Jim

Damn it, Jim, you talked to the WRONG lamp post. :P

I think this topic is pretty much worn out, so here's a dump duck.

05-04-2013_seagull_flying_wm.jpg

Pretty much says it all:

970171_10151622411095295_1911736407_n.jpg

MarkC, your A-4 Skyhawk looks great. That's all I'm going to say on this topic.

Edited by The_Animal