At least it's a Volvo. Standard or automatic (God I despise automatics...). I've never really seen any turnpikes in the US, not a big thing down there? Canada has a lot of companies switching over to them - move twice the freight at less expense (ie. underpaid drivers).

It has a Cummins 400 isx, mated to a Eaton Fuller 9 speed. (manual)

I average about 11-12 bobtail, 8.5-9.3 empty, and my 13 week average, all loads is right around 7.6 mpg.

How many miles do you rack up? Long haul, shorter distances ?

DaveT

So you are doing the lease purchase deal? Good luck with that. I spent 4 years as a company driver with them, then bought a truck and leased on to them for another 14 months. I didnt want to have my pocket book and truck tied up to the people that offered me my loads. I liked Swift, and wouldnt mind an office job with them, but after the merger with MS Carriers, things changed, and not all of the better IMHO.

Do you run the country with them? When I left, they were dividing the country up into "lanes" as opposed to roaming where ever I wanted to.

I run the lower 48, with my choice of loads.. Swift still has "comfort zones" but I am not under that plan. I have a good relationship with my dispatcher, and several planners, so it helps when freight is slow. They have increased the O/O pay plan, and I do fairly well. I am in the process of putting together a business plan and leasing ten trucks with team/hazmat endorsements.

It has a Cummins 400 isx, mated to a Eaton Fuller 9 speed. (manual)

I average about 11-12 bobtail, 8.5-9.3 empty, and my 13 week average, all loads is right around 7.6 mpg.

Man, I haven't driven a 9 speed in years, mostly 13 speeds. Pretty decent mileage though. Good luck on the leasing thing, just be careful though. I worked for a guy who did that and he hired some pretty inexperienced drivers. One managed to back into and damage a building at a regular customer's place (I had been there numerous times and to this day, I still don't know how that kid managed to do that. I am pretty sure the customer was equally dumb founded). Didn't go over too well in any event. The O/O ended up disappearing shortly there after and stiffing his driver's - guess the deductibles were adding up too quickly for him (he was a flake and I had already parted ways with him so I was one of the lucky guys).

Yep, it all sounds good, but if you go ahead with this, be careful who you hire and read all the Company's small print on the contracts.

Best of Luck to you!

It's 204000 miles. I like the kenworths as well, but they are having substantial problems with the SCR and DEF systems. It's about a $16,000 repair when they go out. So far I have only had one sensor go out and it was only $56.00.

I do have to replace the steer tires by winter, and the drives in the spring. Looking at about $6,000 fir a set of michelins

Sharp looking truck!

I really hope you do well with it Richter.My dad was an O/O and I ran team with him until he was too sick to be away from home.One thing I learned.....I could not ever make enough money to make it worthwhile to be an O/O.After I seen all of the anguish and teeth knashing my dad went through,just trying to put a couple dollars in his pocket... I will always be a company driver.

Edited by Scot M

My step-dad was just hired for Crete Carrier Corp. He has one of them new Prostars. Those Volvos are some pretty trucks! Will you have super singles, or just the regular tires?

I run the lower 48, with my choice of loads.. Swift still has "comfort zones" but I am not under that plan. I have a good relationship with my dispatcher, and several planners, so it helps when freight is slow. They have increased the O/O pay plan, and I do fairly well. I am in the process of putting together a business plan and leasing ten trucks with team/hazmat endorsements.

When I was there, I could run where I wanted and was willing to go. I even switched over and was pulling a stepdeck for the last 6 months or so. After I left I moved over to hauling a chemical tank, and never looked back. The pay and the freedom were well worth the switch.

If I may, I would suggest that if you are going to start a fleet, see if you can lease some trucks to R&R out of Joplin, doing A&E, or maybe even Landstar. I had a couple of drivers in my other trucks at various times, and sometimes, the headaches were bad, it kept me from driving my own truck.

Here is a pic of my company truck, many moons ago, and a picture of mine, once I started tanking. I really did enjoy Swift, just not enough money in it.

companytruck5_zps2ae64824.jpg

1024.jpg