Modern Jets in 1/72?

I have a bunch of decals for modern jets in 1/72, but no kits to put them on. I was wondering what is the best option, what are the pros and cons of different kits for the following aircraft, or what boxings should I stay away from for the following aircraft:

• F-16A MLU
  • F-16C Block 30 and 32
  • CF-18A
  • F/A-18C Swiss and Finnish
  • F/A-18E
  • F/A-18F

Edited by Lodewijk

F-16s, use the Hasegawa kit.

F-18C, use the Academy kit (or Hasegawa, if on a budget)

F-18E/F, use Hasegawa.

For specifics, it's better to get started on one and ask about each one in turn, to stay focuses.

Actually, for 1/72 F-16s, I would go with the Revell of Germany kit myself. In fact, the F-16C version of the kit which Monogram USA offered for a time in 2002 HAS all the MLu bits in it as well as both the big mouth and small mouth intakes and both P&W and GE exhausts. If you can't find that version, I believe the Revell of Germany F-16Cs have those bits as well while the A models don't quite give you all of them. Only minor bit lacking from the Revell kit are bulged gear doors. But I don't believe you need them for a 30-32 variant.

Hasegawa kits would work as well, but they are a more vintage mold and sometimes it can be a crap shoot to find all the bits you need in one boxing (para-brake tail housings especially if they are stingy about that part as they are in 1/48 scale).

Not sure about the Legacy or Super Hornets.

Edited by Jay Chladek

I have a bunch of decals for modern jets in 1/72, but no kits to put them on. I was wondering what is the best option, what are the pros and cons of different kits for the following aircraft, or what boxings should I stay away from for the following aircraft:

• F-16A MLU
  • F-16C Block 30 and 32
  • F/A-18C export version with spotlight
  • F/A-18E
  • F/A-18F

F-16A/B/C/MLU

Revell-Germany is the best kit for most marks of the F-16. They are well detailed, have a nice OOB cockpit and no major fit problems. They are also more affordable than current Hasegawa and Academy boxings. They also have an MLU kit in their range. Second would be the Hasegawa kits, but they need a cockpit. Academy's F-16C is good, but I've heard that there is some shape problems with the nose, stay away from their F-16A kit.

Now, for the heavy landing gear version F-16s, the Hasegawa F-16C blk 50/52 kits are the only ones with the correct bulged landing gear doors and tires. RG and Academy do not have these.

F/A-18C w/spotlight.....

I would assume that you are referring to the CF-188/CF-18A Hornet, they are the only versions that have the spotlight. The best kit is the Academy F/A-18A kit, but there is currently no Hornet kit in 1/72 scale that has the spotlight in the kit. It will need to be added. Second would be the Hasegawa kit, but again, it needs a cockpit.

F/A-18E/F

Revell-Germany has just released their F/A-18F kit, but I haven't built any of the SH kits as of yet.

Edited by Johnopfor

I stand corrected, Swiss and Finnish versions do have the spotlight, thanks.

As I stated earlier, the Academy kit is the best in 1/72 scale for the A and C versions (the kit for the A version does have the C parts included).

:thumbsup:

Folks !

Beware of the F-16C/D-Block 40/42/50/52 wheels in any kit. I build Revell and Hasegawa F-16C/D, and I found that Revell wheels good only for A/B/C-Block 20/30/32/MLU only and not C/D Block40/42/50/52 because the lack of bulged maingear door and only contains the A and early C small diameter wheels. Hasegawa F-16 kits contains only A and later C/D Block-40/42/50/52 wheels but the C/D wheel diameter is equal to the smaler A type !!! I increased the diameter of the tyres with styren stripe and Loctite for the good size, so the tail now is up a bit, not horizontally as with the small wheel. I didn't find any correct aftermarket resin large diameter wheels yet :( Perhaps Academy or Kinetic have correct diameter wheels, but I can't check it with my eyes.

Edited by zkalos

The kuwaiti F-18 have the search light too. What about the Academy offer? I read here and there their F-18s are quite good but I dont know about the inbox details

Edited by squezzer

Add F-18E/F/G

- Revell has late ECS exhaust, you cannot build early version OOB

- Revell has minor shape issues

- hump shape behind the canopy (single seater)

- position of LERX leading edge under canopy

- partly missing vent. mesh, the existing has wrong possititon (between main wheel bays)

+ has (almost) full intakes

Add F-18A/B/C/D

+ Fujimi has very nice kits...the only one has full intakes

Add F-16

- Hasegawa is the older one....check references to scribe missing panel lines (bottom fuselage), missing bottom chaff dispenser (F-16I, D, F), wrong gun cover for later versions, etc.

Don't forget tons of aftermarket

- legacy hornet - Eduard PE sets, Aires cockpit, electronics, radar,wheel bays, exhaus, Neomega (intakes together with main wheel bays), Northstar wheels, Dr.Pepper resin full intakes

- SuperBug - Eduard PE, Aires cocpits (E/F) - just for hasegawa...does not fits Revell

Vipers - Eduard PE, Aires - cocpkits, radar (Revell, Has.), Weelbays (Hasegawa), CMK (gun bay, wheelbay, radar, wheels (late i guess), flaps), Dr.pepper resin - bulged doors for late version, Wolfpack-d (correct nose for academy, update sets for some block, incl. IAF), etc

There are a lot of others but the list should covers the most important

note: sorry for my english :-)

Edited by PetrB

Add F-18A/B/C/D

+ Fujimi has very nice kits...the only one has full intakes

The Fujimi has nice intakes and some shape issues, it's fat & stumpy at the nose. A nice kit, but looks odd if placed near other F/A-18 kits. Academy remains the best although the main LG legs are too vertical. Hasegawa is basic, often expensive and light on surface detail but accurate in shape. HobbyBoss is akin to the Hasegawa, but more basic and always cheap. Italieri/Revell/Testors is simple, very light on detail but cheap and decent in shape (it was the best for a volume build, but IMHO the HB kit has replaced it for that). Note the only real A/B options are the Hasegawa and the Academy (no B, but you can steal the A bits from an A kit to make a B from the D kit and still build the A as a C. Instrument panels will be wrong for a non-upgraded B though).

Best boxing for the Export Hornets is the In International Service boxing, which contains the A tails, plus Canadian, Australian and Spanish decals. All Academy boxings have the spotlight though (part 3 on the clear sprue), so a regular C/D boxing will do for Finnish, Swiss, Malaysian or Kuwaiti Hornets.

The Fujimi has nice intakes and some shape issues, it's fat & stumpy at the nose. A nice kit, but looks odd if placed near other F/A-18 kits.

The swollen spine of the Fujimi Baby Hornet is even more off than the nose, in my eyes.

It's almost like an "F/A-18SMT"... ;)

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre