Met a WW II Vet today

Fellow ARCers

Today, I had the pleasure and privilege of meeting a World War II vet - one of several I have been lucky to meet through my job and my association with the local Aviation Museum here.

This time, it was at the official summer season opening of the Bagotville Air Defence Museum. The veteran, Mr Gaston Lamirande, was a pilot. He did his fighter training right here in Bagotville, on the Hurricane, then went to England and flew Spitfire Mk VII (conversion training) and Spitfire Mk XII (operations), and finally ended the war flying the Hawker Tempest. I believe the Tempest was with 222 Squadron RAF. You can see how he proudly displays the unit pins on his baseball cap.

P1170446_zps1aaf204b.jpg

This man is 91 years old. He's dynamic, energetic, and fascinating to talk to. I spoke to him about his experiences, and he marveled at how things have advanced with modern fighters. He joked about how they had fly by wire back then - but manually-driven wire cables, not the fancy battery-powered ones that move CF-18 controls... quite the sharp wit.

I was sad not to have more than about half an hour to chat, but he assured me he'd be back for the airshow here on the 22nd and 23rd of June, and the Wing Commander promised to have pictures taken with him sitting in some of the vintage aircraft that will be here for the show.

Talk about living history!

P1170447_zps1d9e9835.jpg

For those of you who can make it up to Bagotville, I strongly suggest you visit the Air Defence Museum. It has just installed an innovative tablet-based virtual reality system, allowing guests to "see" displays of various artifacts. Here you see just a bunch of empty-looking barrels (with fellow ARCer Ex_Bird_Gunner standing in combat uniform in the foreground):

P1170425_zps2628901d.jpg

But hold up one of the museum's iPads to it, and you see the JHMCS helmet from a CF-18 perched on top of it.

P1170489_zps326297a7.jpg

Here you see the official opening, with our out-going Wing Commander (Col Paul Prévost), the Mayor (Jean Tremblay), the Curator (Claude Chamberland, holding one of the iPads), and an honorary Colonel (Michel Belley).

P1170443_zps01b0b5cc.jpg

Here is a shot of the outdoor display area, with the Base Hospital and Officers' Mess in the background.

P1170472_zpsfba673ba.jpg

I know there are lots of people on ARC that are passionate about aviation history - just thought I'd share a little bit of it.

ALF

Edited by ALF18

That display system is cool as hell. Looks odd to the naked eye but with the pad you get all the information you could ever need. Allows you to have a lot of stuff you probably could never get.

And of course who doesn't enjoy a talk with one of the greatest. A great day all around.

ALF

What a lovely gentleman that Mr. gaston Lamirande {. :salute: } took time out to speak to and be photographed with him.

Truly a remarkable man.. Thank you for sharing you day out and the photographs too.They are very good..makes ME fly over to visit it. :coolio:

Thank you :salute:

HOLMES

That's great, ALF. I'm sure it was a pleasure speaking with Mr. Lamirande. Super photos too. That display at the museum looks very interesting. Hopefully there will be time to check that out while I'm there. If not, it's another good reason for a road trip! Will Richard be at the air show and if so, do you think he'd mind throwing his autograph in my copy of his book? Okay....you can sign it too! :D

Thanks for sharing buddy.

Mike

That's great, ALF. I'm sure it was a pleasure speaking with Mr. Lamirande. Super photos too. That display at the museum looks very interesting. Hopefully there will be time to check that out while I'm there. If not, it's another good reason for a road trip! Will Richard be at the air show and if so, do you think he'd mind throwing his autograph in my copy of his book? Okay....you can sign it too! :D/>

Thanks for sharing buddy.

Mike

Mike

The museum is first thing on the list for the Sunday morning of the airshow. Apparently, it's a great time to visit - very few people are in the museum. Bring your 425 history book - we'll almost certainly bump into Richard somewhere, and he'll be happy to sign it.

ALF

Wow, what a geat venue and event !

And meeting Mister Lamirande must have been the icing on the cake ...

He sure doesn't look 91 in the photo ...

Thank You for your gallant service, Mister Lamirande ... :salute:

And thanks for sharing the photo essay on the event, ALF ... :thumbsup2:

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
  • 4 years later...
On 9/15/2017 at 9:24 AM, Gary1953 said:

Hi ALF,

Just found your post from 4 years ago concerning Gaston Lamirande. Any idea if he is still with us? I have recently discovered that he was the wingman of my wife's uncle on the mission when her uncle was KIA in Feb 1945. 

Cheers

Gary

Hope he's still with us, WW2 vets are fading fast.   I've met a bunch over the years.   The one thing everyone had in common was that they all felt their service, whatever it entailed, was no big deal.  They were just doing their job.  

Truly the greatest generation.  

• 1 year later...

Gaston Lamirande was my Grandfather. He has sadly passed away last March, at 95 years old. He was such a great man and his lost has been very hard on his family and many many more. He will be forever remembered for what he has accomplished, but most of all, for the wonderful person he was.  :’(

Thank you so much for this post. 

Mia Lami

Edited by Lami
On 12/11/2018 at 8:25 PM, Lami said:

Gaston Lamirande was my Grandfather. He has sadly passed away last March, at 95 years old. He was such a great man and his lost has been very hard on his family and many many more. He will be forever remembered for what he has accomplished, but most of all, for the wonderful person he was.  :’(

Thank you so much for this post. 

Mia Lami

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my own mother in March, so I understand the pain. It was nice to learn of him.