Airfix Lightning F.6

This is the first jet airplane built in 1/48th scale in a long long time. I build jets on occasion, but usually in 1/72. The last big scale jet I built (and actually finished) before this must be close to twenty years ago :jaw-dropping:/> Having built this, I now realize why. The built was kind of tedious. The build took two months, which may not sound like much to some, but is about three times the length of a typical build for me.

The kit is pretty nice, a bit clunky compared to releases by the likes of Hasegawa or Tamiya, but builds up fine in the end. The only problems I had were with the shock-cone/ nose gear well insert, which just would not sit straight. Hence, the wheels up build. Panel lines are a bit heavy for my taste and many of the parts just felt chunky. This was especially true of the interior, though with the pilot, you can't see diddly in there.

The Model is painted with Tamiya sky gray for the barley gray, and MM Acryl light gull gray mixed with white for the RAF light aircraft gray. Light and dark shades of both colors were mixed and mottled onto the base coat. A clear coat mixed with a few drops of light grey tied everything together. The red parts are Vallejo flat red. Metal bits are random metalic paints and metal foil (side panels).

Decals are from the kit. I have the recently rereleased version in the attractive new red boxes. They performed flawlessly. The colored bands on the redtop missiles are a bit bright and thick, making them look toylike, but otherwise, no complaints there.

I give the kit an 8 out of 10.

Anyway, onto the photos

E5BD9986-73E7-4028-BCC4-AF0847BEF34C-2367-00000230C9F29C2A_zps6bc4fe43.jpg

545EDB2D-B836-4BFE-9ABD-D42815D48F15-2367-00000230D3EE0FCA_zpsa93be6af.jpg

A7EDCD00-42A1-4B81-96A8-517F962219DE-2367-00000230D7002858_zpsff4b2e8e.jpg

17070B35-F0EF-4628-A9EE-DF93F45BE053-2367-00000230D9A0BFCD_zpsf3c641f1.jpg

BD973D86-150F-4075-905A-025FEDDE36F6-2367-00000230D08E7C7E_zpse31891fc.jpg

And here is Johnny Pilot VC DFC

1CF95D50-44B6-44A6-8BC2-E99037669F22-3868-0000041924800477_zpsee54bc84.jpg

I'm very much over this model and ready to move on to something else entirely. Maybe I'll build a dinosaur or car or something. :D/>

I think its a case of gaining more experience that can help in situations like this. The gap between the overwing pylons and wing. something seems to have gone wrong with the metallics on the underside panel? looks as if some of it may have dissolved. Also some weathering would really help to make the aircraft more accurate. Other than that it looks ok for a beginner build well done.

best

Mark

I think its a case of gaining more experience that can help in situations like this. The gap between the overwing pylons and wing. something seems to have gone wrong with the metallics on the underside panel? looks as if some of it may have dissolved. Also some weathering would really help to make the aircraft more accurate. Other than that it looks ok for a beginner build well done.

best

Mark

Lol

My model is by no means perfect, but you're comment is such a transparrent bit(hy little snub, that it would make all the other bratty teenage girls proud.

So I'll say it one more time.

GET THE HELL OVER IT!

hey i thought you wanted some feedback ? whats your problem? I was only trying to help you - I said it looked ok. Not quite sure why you post here unless if it causes you to be so upset. take it easy

I'm perfectly fine with you not likeing my model.

But don't pretend that your reason for posting was to offer critique of my model. Admit it, you came here to stick it to me because I accused you of over-reactinhg to the one guy's comments on your A-4.

Very classy of you.

Edited by RKic

RKic...this is the Critique forum. If you prefer to not have any criticism of your model please don't post your photos here. Please post them in the Display Case. While you may feel that the poster MarkC was only commenting so as to stick it to you...there is no indication of that intent in what he wrote here.

Terry Sumner

DID I NOT JUST WRITE THAT I'M AWARE OF THE MODEL IS WORTHY OF CRITICISM???

Marks attack was against me and not my model.

Edited by RKic
While you may feel that the poster MarkC was only commenting so as to stick it to you...there is no indication of that intent in what he wrote here.

Terry Sumner

Given past history with this thread http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=265240 I would have to agree with Rkic it's a troll post.

best

Mark

It's generally not polite to call someone a "beginner" needing more experience; I seriously doubt Rkic is a beginner to modeling.

No, I've been wasting many long years on this.

That said,

Mark's comment on the pylons is duly noted. There is a gap, and I missed it until he pointed it out. How n00bish of me, huh? :)

Hey, I like the finish, but know nothing about these aircraft - was it a painted aircraft as opposed to metal? I built a 1/72 Hasegawa kit of it when I was about 13, neat looking aircraft with a distinctive shape.

As for the landing gear being a hassle to force your hand to put it on a stand with wheels up, I've had to do that, too. Usually, the landing gear is one of the last steps, and I've had some models that were literally grinding me down, and when the landing gear became difficult and I realized it wasn't going to ever be the model I had meant it to be, I did sort of how you've done, but definitely not as elegantly. :) I like the subtle weathering and finish, your decals look well applied, seams are mostly just right (I'm guessing the upper-wing pylons were removable from the real aircraft, was there a seam there on the real thing? I think I see one, just curious what I'm looking at).

What would you wish to have been different about the kit and supplies you used? If you had to do it all over again, what would you do today?

Nice build in a lot of ways, sorry it was a disappointment to you, but that finish looks better than anything I've built in over 10 years. I like the scheme, too!

Great job Rkic! I think the weathering is spot on for a reasonably kept up bird and shows just the right amount of general weather. My only critique is it looks like you have the wing tanks on the wrong side. How they gonna drop those things without rolling ove....what? They're 'sposed to be that way? Dem crazy Brits! In that case, I give it 2 thumbs up.

Bill

My only critique is it looks like you have the wing tanks on the wrong side.

I think I built the rest of the plane upside down.

Dang, those gaps are irritating me now. Suggestions on how to fill them with the model all painted up already?

White glue perhaps?

RKic,,,,,aren't the gaps supposed to be there?

I am thinking it would be the same as the gap between the outer pylons and the wings on Phantoms, since those top pylons bolt on and can be removed,,,,they might always have a gap?

It might be correct to have them 100% flush,,,,,,but, there is lots of precedence for a gap, also