Recommendartions for a silent air compressor?

I'm looking to upgrade my very noisy Harbor Freight compressor because the tank is starting to leak air. I run it indoors and it is so loud that it is hard to use it when the kids are taking naps or in bed (which, unfortunately, is when I have time to model). Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality silent air compressor (preferably with a tank) that's for sale in the U.S.? My budget is up to $400, but I could stretch it up some more if needed.

I thought this was asked a week ago, but it's in the General Discussion forum.

To get a truly silent compressor you will need to get a dedicated A/B compressor, I think they are a bit expensive and would rather spend the $ on a full sized compressor that you can use for other things (ie: run air tools/presser pot)

I have 2 compressors both craftsman, one is belt driven (20gal) the other diaphragm (25 gal), the dia. is not real noisy just a constant hum, I have used the obnoxious small pancake types for construction work I would defiantly not use one.

You will probably have to look at garage sales to find a belt driven compressor these days, so that might not be an option, or you could go the CO2 route, which I recommend, if I had to go to a A/B only dedicated air supply I would go this route.

Here is the response I gave to the last guy asking your same question.

Curt

Co2 cylinder, no noise at all.

Search e-bay for regulators, and a local Welding shop for the bottle, some have an exchange program where you do not actually have to buy a cylinder.

If you research and buy smart you can get into one for about $150.00.

Curt

I did a little looking

Bottle $108.00 shipped

Regulator$56.00 same guy so you might be able to get it combined.

But just a quick look and I found you can get into one for about the $150.00 I mentioned.

Edited by Netz

I went from a loud, obnoxious tank compressor to the GREX AC1810A compressor. It goes to 50 psi, comes complete with water trap and regulator and it is nice and quiet. It sits right next to the work desk and even when running a normal volume conversation can be had.

I got mine as a combo package from Chicago Airbrush. The comp and a Harder and Steenbeck ULTRA airbrush cost less then 200.00. Well worth looking into.

The comp and a Harder and Steenbeck ULTRA airbrush cost less then 200.00. Well worth looking into.

How did you get the mix match in brand names? All I see are Brand dedicated combos, and how long ago did you get them??

Curt

I bought a CO2 setup a couple of years ago and I'd **never** go back. It's completely idiot proof, totally silent, has almost no moving parts to break, and just makes life so much easier.

Thanks for the input, folks. I did consider a CO2 tank, but the nearest suppliers are 10 miles from me and are only open during regular business hours on workdays, which means, given Northern Virginia traffic, that they might as well be on the far side of the moon.

Tosouthern--thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that site before. I had been thinking of the Iwatas (Power Jet/Power Jet Pro), but have also been curious about the Silentaire Scorpion II-TT, Sparmax TC-620, and California Air Tools 1650A, as all of these are in the quiet or "very quiet" range. Does anyone have any experiences with them?

Oh, if anyone is looking to buy an Iwata compressor, there's a site (Daniel Smith) that has a 15% discount going right now for orders over $75. Here's the link: http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-155-030-025

I have never ordered from them--I just stumbled on the site in my research.

How did you get the mix match in brand names? All I see are Brand dedicated combos, and how long ago did you get them??

Curt

I stand corrected and apologize. The Harder and Steenbeck came with an Iwata Ninja which is also very quiet but no real regulator, no water trap and psi limited to 30. Sorry, my mistake.

From my understanding, Sparmax is the housebrand of the Taiwan factory that builds compressors for other brands including Iwata compressors. So they should be high quality. I bought the Sparmax TC2000 3 months ago and I have no complaints, it works as it should :), it's quiet but not silent, but it won't wake the kids up. TC2000 doesn't come with an airtank but it was simple enough to connect it to my old Campbell Hausfeld 1.6gal airtank. The TC620 is the same but it comes with a tank.

Something else to consider would be a 25-30 gallon upright compressor from Sears or Home Depot. They are a bit noisy while they fill but you could do that while the kids are awake. Once filled, you'd have plenty of air for a nights modeling (you can switch it off so it doesn't automatically fill). The upside to those are you'd be able to use it for lots of other things. I see the 26 gallon Craftsman compressor on sale for around $275 quite often and it usually comes with an air ratchet and impact wrench.

If you can find a Silentaire Super Silent 20-A on sale I would highly recommend it. I used to have a noisy diaphragm compressor and replaced it with this one 3 years ago and the only sound it makes is the click of the tank pressure switches.

Cheers,

John

I've had the Silentaire Super Silent 20-A for years without any problems - very quiet and trouble free.

Hitch

I have had mine for about 7 years and love it. It has given me no issues and it is very quiet, just a click when it turns on and then a hum while it charges the tank up. Hope that helps.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

$400 budget for compressor? Wow! I only spent less than $100 for mine, and it's been working fine for... 3 years, I think. Then again, I only use it once a fortnight. Bought mine off eBay. Something like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3-5-Gravity-Dual-Action-AIRBRUSH-KIT-Tank-Air-Compressor-Hobby-Cake-Tattoo-/140996036979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d404c973

I also have one without the tank, which is even quieter (used it for around 3 years too, now it's spare). Similar to this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Airbrush-Kit-6-Primary-Colors-Air-Compressor-Dual-Action-Createx-Hobby-Set-/390593716868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af1332284

I've got one of these and it's about 1/3rd as loud as the old Harbor Freight I used to have. I'll have it on in basement and the only thing you can hear on the next floor up is a low hum. Can have a conversation literally 3 feet from it while it's running too. It does seem to run more often than the HF did but it's not nearly as annoying.

http://www.californiaairtools.com/