I am making a model of a F/A-18+ Hornet from VMFA-142 in 1/72, using the Academy F/A-18C kit. Not being that hot on the differences between these versions of the aircraft is it possible for someone to tell the main external difference. Also I have a picture of the aircraft that I am making, which shows it carrying a Litening II(AT) FLIR pod. Are there any major difference between this pod and a Litening MkIII pod which I do have? If the difference are not that big could I use the pod that I have got, or does someone where I can get a MkII pod from as I have tried all the usual suspects and cannot see one?

Many thanks for any help.

I am making a model of a F/A-18+ Hornet from VMFA-142 in 1/72, using the Academy F/A-18C kit. Not being that hot on the differences between these versions of the aircraft is it possible for someone to tell the main external difference. Also I have a picture of the aircraft that I am making, which shows it carrying a Litening II(AT) FLIR pod. Are there any major difference between this pod and a Litening MkIII pod which I do have? If the difference are not that big could I use the pod that I have got, or does someone where I can get a MkII pod from as I have tried all the usual suspects and cannot see one?

Many thanks for any help.

Your biggest difference is going to be the tails, the A/B's have a different antenna setup on the tails than the later C/D's, there's also some extra reinforcements. Also IIRC the A+ has a different seat from most C's.

Easiest way to deal with the differences is to snag one of the Academy F-18A boxings. There's a full C in there plus a sprue for the A-specific parts. Steal that sprue and build the kit as a C at a later date.

There's a lot more than just the tails. The antenna blisters around the LEX, nose, and upper spine are different as well. Is it a Navy or Marine jet? If Marine, it will likely have the "bird splitter" blade antennae on the nose just forward of the windscreen (5 longitudinal antennae); if it's Navy, it wouldn't have it.

Also likely a small dome on the upper aft spine for the GPS antenna. If JHMCS helmet installed, it would also have a little arm sticking up at an angle on the rear canopy frame, for the position sensor for the helmet.

The differences are quite extensive when you summarize them.

Mawz's suggestion to use the A+ boxing from Academy is good. The instructions would really help out.

ALF

Thanks for the help and it is a Marine aircraft that I am building. I do have an Academy F/A-18A that I recently bought on the cheap so I will use the tails from this, and look at the instructions for the lumps and bumps that need removing. I have also found that Dr Pepper Resin make a Litening II pod, but as you have said that the difference are not that noticeable I will stick with what I have got. I will look out for the GPS lump from pictures that I can find.

If Marine, it will likely have the "bird splitter" blade antennae on the nose just forward of the windscreen (5 longitudinal antennae);

ALF

The USMC A+s also have the 'bird slicers' in front of the canopy.

Already pointed out.

Further to what Dave said, the upgraded cockpit may have different lighting, suitable for NVG (night vision goggles). In any scale, though, that difference is almost indistinguishable (mostly visible in the up-front control (UFC) data windows).

The other cockpit differences include the little sensor for the helmet position (JHMCS) on the rear canopy frame (a small arm that sticks forward and up at an angle), and the avionics bay is fuller on the A+ (more black boxes), which meant we could no longer put luggage in there on cross-country flights.

ALF

and the avionics bay is fuller on the A+ (more black boxes), which meant we could no longer put luggage in there on cross-country flights.

ALF

Now I want to build another CF-18 just so I can put a scale, pink Samsonite suitcase covered in travel stickers, back there.

Now I want to build another CF-18 just so I can put a scale, pink Samsonite suitcase covered in travel stickers, back there.

Pink? Pink???!!!

That's fuschia, Dave... real mean eat "egg pie" (not quiche), and have fuschia suitcases, not pink ones.

Another possible colour would be "light red".

And go for it!

ALF

Thanks for the help. I do have another question, which is does the 18A+ version have the double chaff buckets or just the single ones under the intakes fitted?

I think it depends on the unit. The upgrade included the change from an ALE-39 to an ALE-47 chaff/flare dispenser; the ALE-47 can come in 2 or 4-bucket arrangements. Canadian ones have 2 buckets (one per side), but some US Hornets have 4.

ALF