OH-13/ AH-1 questions

Recently got 2 Italeri OH-13/ AH-1/ AB-47 kits dirt cheap off Ebay. Planning on one being an OH-13 of the 9th Cav. In the Ia Drang in 65. Other I want to do as a AH-1 in Aden. Question #1 ... What was the paint scheme for the AH-1. Basic green, standard green and brown, or brown/tan? (weapons would have been an SLR or free GPMG, I gather) On the OH-13. I have read that due to power issues the machine gun systems were removed and a free-60 used by the observer. Anybody know of a single M-60 mount being used on the skid? Or would that have caused balance issues?

Recently got 2 Italeri OH-13/ AH-1/ AB-47 kits dirt cheap off Ebay. Planning on one being an OH-13 of the 9th Cav. In the Ia Drang in 65. Other I want to do as a AH-1 in Aden. Question #1 ... What was the paint scheme for the AH-1. Basic green, standard green and brown, or brown/tan? (weapons would have been an SLR or free GPMG, I gather) On the OH-13. I have read that due to power issues the machine gun systems were removed and a free-60 used by the observer. Anybody know of a single M-60 mount being used on the skid? Or would that have caused balance issues?

I figured Joe would be along to answer your OH-13 question, but yes, the single M60C was used with the M2 weapon system on the OH-13 in Vietnam.

Ray

Armament0133_zps97e3743c.jpg

Hi,

The Army Air Corp Sioux's in Aden were painted in the standard green overall with brown camo added to the cabin section and fuel tanks as can be seen in the pics below, there wasn't much difference between the AAC machines and those of the Royal Marine, as for weapons I think it was rare for them to fly armed other than may be a pistol,SMG or SLR for the Pilot and/or Observer but I have included a GPMG picture.

Resupply20Habilayn20Aden_zps84503c98.jpg

Jebel20Heli-pad20-20Aden_zpse87795a3.jpg

Frost20GPMG_zps41ce45b9.jpg

Sioux20BP20Camp20Aden_zpsdd24f11c.jpg

5678_zps6eb69f88.png

Hi,

The Army Air Corp Sioux's in Aden were painted in the standard green overall with brown camo added to the cabin section and fuel tanks as can be seen in the pics below, there wasn't much difference between the AAC machines and those of the Royal Marine, as for weapons I think it was rare for them to fly armed other than may be a pistol,SMG or SLR for the Pilot and/or Observer but I have included a GPMG picture.

Resupply20Habilayn20Aden_zps84503c98.jpg

Jebel20Heli-pad20-20Aden_zpse87795a3.jpg

Frost20GPMG_zps41ce45b9.jpg

Sioux20BP20Camp20Aden_zpsdd24f11c.jpg

5678_zps6eb69f88.png

Oops! Forgetting my manners. Thanks, Guys. Almost finished with my OH-13. MArked for B Troop, 1st Sqn, 9th Cav in the Ia Drang. I went with a single M-60 mount on the port side. Got to thinking though, should it be on the starboard side? Helo pilots fly from the right seat, observer with a a free 60 in the left. If the observer sticks his foot out the door at the wrong time, it's going right in front of the mount. Ouch!

Oops! Forgetting my manners. Thanks, Guys. Almost finished with my OH-13. MArked for B Troop, 1st Sqn, 9th Cav in the Ia Drang. I went with a single M-60 mount on the port side. Got to thinking though, should it be on the starboard side? Helo pilots fly from the right seat, observer with a a free 60 in the left. If the observer sticks his foot out the door at the wrong time, it's going right in front of the mount. Ouch!

M2 system was designed to mount to both skids so as far as I know there were always two systems per bird.

Ray

There is one on with the kit but it's wrong as Italeri have it as one box but there are two which sit between the tail rotor shaft and the fuel tanks, they have the radio gear in them, you'll see them on the British, Australian and New Zealand Sioux's. :D

Hope this helps

Steve

04_zpsff6ff65c.jpg

There was always a safety concern. This was at least part of the reason why the Army investigating putting the guns in front of the main cabin on the UH-1. As it stood, the policy on the M16 and M21 armament subsystems was that the the ground crew was supposed to disconnect the sponsons from the aircraft's power and ground the aircraft before the crew and any passengers could exit. I imagine this was skipped a lot. I have no idea how many actual accidents occurred as a product of being in the line of fire at any stage of flight.

Also, I don't have any information to suggest either way on mounting a single mount. I imagine it could be done, but all of the pictures I've seen of OH-13s with the armament subsystems removed have them removed entirely in favor of free small arms and grenades to be utilized by the scout observer. I figured the moment I would suggest that this was the case Ray would find a picture of one where it was hehe. I also don't recall reading about it in any documentation. Could it be done? Probably. Would it have had negative effects on the aircraft's handling? Probably, but so did mounting the subsystems in the first place.

There is one on with the kit but it's wrong as Italeri have it as one box but there are two which sit between the tail rotor shaft and the fuel tanks, they have the radio gear in them, you'll see them on the British, Australian and New Zealand Sioux's. :D/>

Hope this helps

Steve

04_zpsff6ff65c.jpg

Thanks Aircav. I see what you mean. Eeeh .... razor saw and some sheet plactic should fix that problem. Are the colors the same green/dark earth as the early ww2/ Bomber Command scheme?

There was always a safety concern. This was at least part of the reason why the Army investigating putting the guns in front of the main cabin on the UH-1. As it stood, the policy on the M16 and M21 armament subsystems was that the the ground crew was supposed to disconnect the sponsons from the aircraft's power and ground the aircraft before the crew and any passengers could exit. I imagine this was skipped a lot. I have no idea how many actual accidents occurred as a product of being in the line of fire at any stage of flight.

Also, I don't have any information to suggest either way on mounting a single mount. I imagine it could be done, but all of the pictures I've seen of OH-13s with the armament subsystems removed have them removed entirely in favor of free small arms and grenades to be utilized by the scout observer. I figured the moment I would suggest that this was the case Ray would find a picture of one where it was hehe. I also don't recall reading about it in any documentation. Could it be done? Probably. Would it have had negative effects on the aircraft's handling? Probably, but so did mounting the subsystems in the first place.

I read something on an AirCav website of dropping one mount because of power/ hot-high issues but leaving one to have something. Observer used the free 60. I'd not be too concerned on the ground. If was mounted on the observer's side and he stepped out to take a shot at the wrong moment they'd be calling him Stumpy.

Thanks Aircav. I see what you mean. Eeeh .... razor saw and some sheet plactic should fix that problem. Are the colors the same green/dark earth as the early ww2/ Bomber Command scheme?

Near enough on the colours. :D

The pilot was in the left (port) seat in the -13, putting the gunner/observer/crew chief in the right (starboard)

There is one on with the kit but it's wrong as Italeri have it as one box but there are two which sit between the tail rotor shaft and the fuel tanks, they have the radio gear in them, you'll see them on the British, Australian and New Zealand Sioux's. :D/>/>/>

Hope this helps

Steve

04_zpsff6ff65c.jpg

Thanks for that pic Steve! I am busy building Italeri's 1:48 Bell 47 and found the instructions on the engine compartment pretty vague. Your pic helps a lot!

:cheers:/>/>

Gertjan

Thanks for that pic Steve! I am busy building Italeri's 1:48 Bell 47 and found the instructions on the engine compartment pretty vague. Your pic helps a lot!

:cheers:/>/>/>/>

Gertjan

Here's the other side for you Gertjan.

All the best

Steve

07_zpsa1da3bf7.jpg

10_zpsb6b1cbaa.jpg

Edited by aircav